Delisted Mitchell Golby (2009-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

never known a player to get smothered as much as Golby, must be at least one every game. He needs serious improvement for me. I just don't trust him or fell comfortable and confident when he has the ball in his hand. I wouldn't be against trading him out at seasons end.

Spent about half the game up forward again. Clearly has no confidence. Doesn't want to get near it.

Spent about half the game up forward again. Clearly has no confidence. Doesn't want to get near it.

Must say, I've seen a few comments around here praising his game last night. Personally, I didn't see it at all and having watched the game twice now, thought he looked uninterested and incapable of getting involved.

Has clearly regressed and confidence looks shot. I'd give him an extended run in the reserves in the hope he can find some form.

Has clearly regressed and confidence looks shot. I'd give him an extended run in the reserves in the hope he can find some form.
That's where I'm at with Golbs. He is clearly better than he's been playing this year. Time for a run in the ressies. Ideally a month down there will give him the boost he needs and plenty of time to find his groove in seniors thereafter, giving him a base to build on over pre-season.

That's where I'm at with Golbs. He is clearly better than he's been playing this year. Time for a run in the ressies. Ideally a month down there will give him the boost he needs and plenty of time to find his groove in seniors thereafter, giving him a base to build on over pre-season.
I'm not so sure that'll fix it (whatever 'it' is). He had spent time in the reserves before being knocked by Shaw, which in turn prompted certain comments from someone close to him that had me thinking "well, he's getting nothing out of playing NEAFL". I made some huge assumptions that things weren't clicking there, so the coaches stuck him back in the seniors to work it out. If he can't sort it out there, he may be in strife.

Not sure that he's adding a lot at the minute, but also not sure that pulling him out will help either him or the team. Mostly, I'm worried that being sent to the reserves may do more harm than good and maybe lose him forever.

Has clearly regressed and confidence looks shot.

My confidence in him has become shot. Used to be very comfortable when he had the ball.

Leppa inherited a plethora of half back/back pocket types unfortunately which makes it hard for Golby to contribute if he can't play his preferred position. Sure people might be critical of Mayes being played down back but this is an education year and Mayes is blue chip player getting the full development program. Golby, like Raines, simply isn't valuable enough to make major adjustments to structures and plans.

It's a cut and thrust industry and it means that workmanlike players like Golby often have to adapt or die. Bushy Copeland is a good example of a limited player who extended his career by making a solid fist of an unfamiliar forward role.

Hopefully Golby can keep his chin up and have a breakthrough game soon.

Last edited:
It's not unheard of for players to just have flat out lousy seasons. It's taken me by surprise with Golby because he seemed pretty resilient, but we know that he's a good player; he played some great games last year and was usually pretty consistent.

So for the moment I'm going to see it as just an extended run of poor form, maybe brought about by the change of coach and change of role. Plenty of other players have bounced back from similar positions and I reckon Golby can be another one.

I am aware his disposal isn't great, but are we 100% sure he isn't performing his role as asked by the coaching staff (whatever that may be)? Reminds me a lot of Polkinghorne last year where he kept getting games even though he seemingly wasn't contributing. Maybe it's something we don't notice from the outside.

Congratulations Mitch – 50 games Round 17 2014 – versus WCE

Mitch comes in for suspended Tom Rockliff, fingers crossed you get a chance to show your midfield wares.
vpNJRrl.png

[freddie foto – 2014 preseason game]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hes really lost the plot a bit, missed an almost sitter of a chance in third quarter

Yes let's completely ignore the rest of his good game.

hes really lost the plot a bit, missed an almost sitter of a chance in third quarter

I guess Harwood also had an appalling game because of that turnover he caused that led to a goal.

Mitch was one of our best tonight (and also had his best game for the year), and I really hope he can keep it going. Great to see him start to turn it around.

Did some good things no doubt but too many errors for my liking. Definite improvement last night though so lets hope that continues.
Don't mind people giving their opinions - but for the sake of accuracy let's try and back them up with some substance... PLEASE!

Yes, also an improvement in my eyes and the stats seem to back up how I saw it. AFL Stats list Mitch as having the Lions 3rd best Disposal Eff% and lists only the 1 clanger from his 21 disposals - A welcome return to form, well done Mitch!

What we cannot read into these stats is what the coaches thought of his game - I guess that will come at the selection table on the Thursday prior to our round 18 game against the GCS.

4YNFzyL.png

Reserves Wrap - Sydney - 30/05/2015 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

Probably a foreign role playing more as an inside mid on the weekend. Battled really hard, I think he had 23 possessions; most importantly he laid 16 effective tackles, I think, out of 20 attempts, so a really good defensive game from Mitch. Strong in the contest, foreign role, but he put his head over it and was important for us throughout the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back