Player Watch Mitchell Thorp

Remove this Banner Ad

Played his first game for Box Hill today and presented well taking a few contested grabs. Good signs so far from a kid. Could have kicked a couple but his kicking was inaccurate. Demands the ball and takes the grab. I think the Hawks were on the money with this guy. Go Hawks!!!!!!!!!!

Very impressive with his general game, kicking lacked power. I was on the boundary fence right near the interchange, and he was in very good fitness (not short of breath) even when gettin benched due to rotations.

How far is Thorp away from debuting?

He appears to be a ready made player; he looked very good last year, I liken his style to that of Pavlich

He broke his finger last week and will miss a week or two. I think another 2 or 3 good performances at Box Hill, and relying on either Dixon or Roughead's ommission he would then come in.

He appears to be a ready made player; he looked very good last year, I liken his style to that of Pavlich

Hope you guys don't mind me posting here.

That was what I thought too last year around draft time. Thorp has the ability to play anywhere, even in the midfield. Remember Pavlich also played midfield for about a year.

He's already capable of kicking well on both sides of the body too. General kicking is pretty good but needs to fine tune his set shots. A big athletic guy who will be very good when he develops. :thumbsu:

i'm a crows fan but do live in vic & have seen this kid play & i believe he will be the best player from this draft he can run jump take a grab & kick a goal he is seriously special & your forward line in 2 years will be unstoppable

couldnt have scripted a better debut.

he certainly didnt seem selfish, im speaking of that last mark that setup laddo's goal.

he'll be something, this kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch Thorp's 2007 season stats: Seniors: 1 game.

Player Statistics - 2007 Home & Away
Round Date.................. Vs K H P M HO T FF FA G B
Round 15 15/07/2007 Tigers 4 1 5 3 ..1. 0 1... 0 1 .2

19. Mitch Thorp

Here comes the thunder....
0531568400nq0.jpg

74688901rx3.jpg

The famous 19 is back, and with a new face to accompany it.
Mitch Thorp comes with the promise and hype of a white Buddy Franklin.

He displays the skills and talent to succeed in the key position of CHF, but what he brings most is 'swagger'.
Yes sir, he's got it in spades and self belief too.

Drafted at pick 6 in the 2006 National Draft Mitch Thorp was seen by club officials as the perfect partner to our other brilliant forward Lance 'Buddy' Franklin.
Many believe that the Thorp/Franklin combination will intertwine and build like no other young combination in the game, with the two players feeding off each others natural ability and skill, firing the Hawthorn Football Club into finals contention for years to come.
Earmarked as our next genuine CHF, Thorp showed plenty of poise and confidence in his debut aganst Richmond in 2007 after playing on from a set shot to open the face of the goals before converting with ease. His straight up the ground leads were demanding attention and his willingness to be involved in every forward play was very encouraging for the 18yr old.

Injuries, that he has carried for the last 18 months, to his hip are the only thing holding him back from a full preseason and a very promising 2008.
He should be back in full training after Christmas, due to some surgery done in the last month or so that is hoped to have fixed any lingering problems with his hip joint.

Re: 19. Mitch Thorp

This is unbelievably exciting, anticipating '08, and the emergence of so many Hawk fledglings. '08 "a season to savour":cool:

Nobody was as excited as Galon when pick 16 fell his way and he landed the duckling himself Mitch Thorp!

Galon has promised to tell Mitch at all times he is great and powerfull as long as he kicks lots of goals and wins games off his own boot like the original duck.

Should be interesting posting...

Duckling>> Duck was Galons comment:eek:

BR:thumbsu:

Thorp is back in full training.
Has been seen running laps at recent sessions and from all reports the recovery after the surgery he had on his hip is going along A-OK.

Thorp is back in full training.
Has been seen running laps at recent sessions and from all reports the recovery after the surgery he had on his hip is going along A-OK.

sounds awesome mate, could you predict when we may see him in 08?

Hard to say really, but if Boyle has a slow start to the year and Mitch is cutting the mustard at Box Hill I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the first 5-6 rounds( as well as a few runs in the NAB cup/preseason games).
The club is very keen on young Mitch, and they'll want to give him opportunities, but at this stage I think he's probably still behind Boyle( due to his form in the early parts of 2007), so he'll be hoping to sneak past him sometime in 2008.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back