MLB 2014 opening at SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, didn't expect this ......

Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson plans to bring his Los Angeles Dodgers to Sydney to open the 2014 Major League Baseball season.
Negotiations to bring the Dodgers, owned by NBA Hall of Famer Johnson, are well advanced and their likely opponents will be the Arizona Diamondbacks for a historic Sydney Cricket Ground clash.
The proposed three-game series will be a huge coup, with the games to be televised to an audience of almost 300 million across 81 countries.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/johnson-to-bring-team-to-sydney-20121024-286da.html#ixzz2AH8PjLiy

Interesting- but I doubt the SCG is big enough (size of field, not attendance) for MLB. As I recall, the 50 meter arcs for Rules both intrude into the center square, which means that from one end to the other is probably at most around 380 feet, without any foul territory.

ANZ as it was set out for the Olympics would be a far better bet for size.

Interesting- but I doubt the SCG is big enough (size of field, not attendance) for MLB. As I recall, the 50 meter arcs for Rules both intrude into the center square, which means that from one end to the other is probably at most around 380 feet, without any foul territory.

ANZ as it was set out for the Olympics would be a far better bet for size.
I think the SCG is currently running at 152m long after they renovated the southern end, and might pick up another couple of metres at the northern end when they're finished.

Skoda Stadium would actually be ideal after hosting baseball at the Olympics, you can see the southern/grandstand end still has the shape. Capacity is the issue there though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the SCG is currently running at 152m long after they renovated the southern end, and might pick up another couple of metres at the northern end when they're finished.

Skoda Stadium would actually be ideal after hosting baseball at the Olympics, you can see the southern/grandstand end still has the shape. Capacity is the issue there though.
yeah mcg seems like the logical choice and Melbourne loves sport most in Aus, I'd go either way!

yeah mcg seems like the logical choice and Melbourne loves sport most in Aus, I'd go either way!

Don't think there is any way the AFL would give up the ground for baseball. Sure, it would only be two or three days, but you would have to put in an infield and a pitching mound- and you are talking late March/early April, just when the aFL season is kicking off.

I just can't see MLB baseball in Australia- sorry. Japan- yes, South Korea- sure, Mexico- absolutely.

I've been reading Francona's book on the Red Sox, and there is a fair bit that is critical in there about the Red Sox trip to Japan in (I think it was) 2008. It was a crazy schedule for them where they ahd to leave spring training two weeks early to travel to japan, played four games there (two exhibitions), then flew back to the West coast for three exhibitions in LA before playing in Oakland in two regular season games before flying back across country to Toronto and then Boston for their home opener.

If it DOES happen, the Dodgers and D backs are two logical teams, assuming that MLB then allows them to return home for home openers or has them in another west coast location.

Obviously, it will come down to Bud Lite, so he'll probably plump for two east coast teams.

They mentioned the SCG games on Fox Sports News yesterday. SCG Trust wants an answer next week.
Dodgers-DBacks still the two teams being discussed. Apparently also will commemorate 100 years since the Chicago White Sox played games(s) at SCG in 1914. Never knew that.

they mentioned dates as March 30 or 31 onwards although that seems a bit late considering only a few days before opening day. But pretty sure the Japan games last season were very close to opening day in U.S.

They mentioned the SCG games on Fox Sports News yesterday. SCG Trust wants an answer next week.
Dodgers-DBacks still the two teams being discussed. Apparently also will commemorate 100 years since the Chicago White Sox played games(s) at SCG in 1914. Never knew that.

they mentioned dates as March 30 or 31 onwards although that seems a bit late considering only a few days before opening day. But pretty sure the Japan games last season were very close to opening day in U.S.

Yes, Japan was a two game swing hosted by the A's on 28 & 29 March. Next games were on the 6 & 7 April in Oakland to complete the series.

Yep- they really ned to give teams a few days to get settled back into the time zone after the games in Asia/Australia- and don't forget that you also have the international date line as well, which changes days- leave Wednesday night in LA, arrive Friday morning in Melbourne.

Thinking about it some more, if baseball wanted to really do it right, they could have the teams play four games- two in Sydney to open the season, followed by two in Honolulu on the way back- break up the trip back to the west coast. Thinking that Aloha Stadium might eb able to be configured for baseball. You would probably have to set it so that each team had two home games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back