MM, 2 more years, Bucks after that (opening the time capsule 5 years on)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got back from the pub, damn that cost me a bit but it was worth it.

Locals saying its going to end in disaster and they cant wait to watch, told them all to shove it up their arse and watch the juggernaut that is about to emerge!!

Carn Pies!!!!

Quote from MM's weekly email to members;

"I am very pleased to have been offered another two years as senior coach, which will mean, by the end of 2011, I will have been involved at the highest level of football as a player and as coach for 40 years.

I know there are going to be skeptics who question my ability to work with Nathan Buckley. I worked with Bucks for eight years, I would say in that eight years the player/coach relationship was as high and as good as any coach/player relationship I've ever had.

One of the things that we pride ourselves on here … is the word side-by-side – I won't have to look over my shoulder, and I am looking forward to working with and developing the young group we have here, and enjoying considerable success."

It's basically the same message MM was trying to get across in the Press Conference earlier today, and actually sounds as if MM is quite happy with 2 more years of coaching, which will bring his tally up to 40 years in the business.

From what I've seen and heard, seems MM is one of the architects of this deal, which is way off the mark of him being forced into this position.

MM seems happy, Bucks seems happy, Eddie is very happy, and most of us seem very happy with the whole deal, so happy times for all.:p

Well it al worked out quite well i really didnt want to see Mick gets pushed out of the way for bucks! But it looks like its all good hope Mick and Bucks are happy with it!

Congrats on the deal, on face value it looks good.

I wonder if MM will head down the Roos path and hand over some game day responsibility to his assistant?

The only potential problem is their very strong opinions and if they differ, other than that, it looks like you're getting you cake and eating it.

Should probably post this in the more relevant thread now;

What happens if Malthouse wins a premiership in 2010 or 2011? You surely can't change your coach on the back of that?

I've got no idea why MM agreed to this to be honest, the Direct of Coaching? Seriously? There is no way that whilst I still had it in me to be a senior coach, as MM does and probably still will by 2011, would I just agree to stepping down and handing over the reigns. Other clubs would take him as a senior coach, I wouldn't be agreeing to be Director of Coaching while that was still possible.
With the promise of only 2 more years at the helm I would have walked to Richmond and got a 5 year deal as head coach.

I guess it makes a little more sense if MM wanted to start to wrap up his career as a senior coach, but I wouldn't have thought that would be the case atm. He seemingly sounds happy from the email, so maybe he only intended to go on another 2 years, I dunno.

Should probably post this in the more relevant thread now;

What happens if Malthouse wins a premiership in 2010 or 2011? You surely can't change your coach on the back of that?

I've got no idea why MM agreed to this to be honest, the Direct of Coaching? Seriously? There is no way that whilst I still had it in me to be a senior coach, as MM does and probably still will by 2011, would I just agree to stepping down and handing over the reigns. Other clubs would take him as a senior coach, I wouldn't be agreeing to be Director of Coaching while that was still possible.
With the promise of only 2 more years at the helm I would have walked to Richmond and got a 5 year deal as head coach.

I guess it makes a little more sense if MM wanted to start to wrap up his career as a senior coach, but I wouldn't have thought that would be the case atm. He seemingly sounds happy from the email, so maybe he only intended to go on another 2 years, I dunno.

Read somewhere else that MM might have come up with that succession plan himself .
Could not be happier myself , well done Eddie and all parties involved :thumbsu:

WTF, 8 weeks ago there were sections of pie supporters calling for Malthouse's head - can't coach, head 10 years at the helm and hasn't delivered a premiership - time to go mick.

Now magically, Eddie is a genius in getting Malthouse and Buckley to agree on a transitional arrangement which will potentially see Buckley take over the reins in 2 years time and mick moving into a role of directior of football/coaching.

Where are all those Pies fans now calling for Mick's head 8 weeks ago? - pathetic really :rolleyes:

WTF, 8 weeks ago there were sections of pie supporters calling for Malthouse's head - can't coach, head 10 years at the helm and hasn't delivered a premiership - time to go mick.

Now magically, Eddie is a genius in getting Malthouse and Buckley to agree on a transitional arrangement which will potentially see Buckley take over the reins in 2 years time and mick moving into a role of directior of football/coaching.

Where are all those Pies fans now calling for Mick's head 8 weeks ago? - pathetic really :rolleyes:
there were alot less then you imagined, they were just bloody vocal

Ever consider that the people calling Eddie a genius AREN'T the people who were calling for Malthouse to be sacked?

Just a thought.

The sections calling for Malthouse head have not all changed their tune either.
There are plenty who wanted Malthouse gone no matter what the cost, simply out of hatred. Some will never be able to admit they were wrong about the deal being do-able and so will hold onto any sliver of dis-satisfaction they can muster.

All clubs have them and they are entitled to their say.

That does not stop those who are over the moon from revelling in a huge coup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Eddie on pulling this off I say.

Any good business puts together a succession plan and thats all he has done...and done it very well.

I find blokes like Brian Taylor and Tony Shaw examples of people that are just stuck in the mire of how footy clubs use to be be run. Mick is getting on and has had 10 yrs without having won a premiership. I'm not sure that record gives him a stranglehold on being the coach forever more.

I think Bucks has been incredibly selfless and thats been missed in all this. He could have gone somewhere else but for the love of this club he is committed - well done!

Congrats guys. It is such a great feeling. I remember that great feeling when Vossy got apponited coach!
Thanks Lionshine.
Who is that little kid in your avatar? Not a draftee?

Well done Eddie on pulling this off I say.

Any good business puts together a succession plan and thats all he has done...and done it very well.

I find blokes like Brian Taylor and Tony Shaw examples of people that are just stuck in the mire of how footy clubs use to be be run. Mick is getting on and has had 10 yrs without having won a premiership. I'm not sure that record gives him a stranglehold on being the coach forever more.

I think Bucks has been incredibly selfless and thats been missed in all this. He could have gone somewhere else but for the love of this club he is committed - well done!

Brian is Ok but i find myself disliking Tony more & more every time he opens his mouth.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/news/article/-/5757865/mcguires-pact-black-white-solution

McGuire's Pact: A black and white solution

ABC - July 28, 2009, 4:50 pm
It was mid-winter last season when Mick Malthouse first contemplated the notion of relinquishing absolute power.
He sought out David Parkin, curious how the Hall of Fame coach orchestrated a succession plan at Carlton that ultimately led to Wayne Brittain's elevation to senior coach.
While Parkin had embarked on that course because he knew his coaching days were numbered, that didn't reflect Malthouse's predisposition.
His interest lay in understanding how a man of iron dealt with the reality of giving up ultimate control.
It is impossible to say how deeply the Collingwood coach was pondering his football mortality.
But Malthouse's inquiry gives an instructive counterpoint to the widely held view he would never willingly walk from the job he excels at.
Because he has set in trail events to do precisely that.
The magnitude of the McGuire Pact is staggering.
Experienced coaches privately used the words "shocked" and "amazed" when it was revealed.
This is the deal Peter Costello never got.
Apparently Collingwood can have it all. How they will be hated for it.
For all the speculation and second-guessing of the past two months, no one seriously contemplated President Eddie McGuire could sign both Malthouse and Nathan Buckley to five-year deals with a seismic shifting of roles at the end of 2011.
It is a triumph beyond dispute. Unlikely as it seemed, it strikes the balance between respect and ingenuity.
As this correspondent noted six weeks ago, Malthouse had to be re-signed for the next two seasons.
He and the club entered 2009 believing a premiership was achievable within three years. There is no evidence to cause review. The incumbent will see that journey through.
And despite showing no signs of decline, that'll be enough for him. Let that be the measure of the man, for to continue to paint Malthouse as a reluctant participant in this pact would be churlish.
In an act that must form a cornerstone of his legacy and should be more widely applauded than it will likely be, the 55-year-old selflessly signed on to mentor his replacement, cleanly hand over the reins and then remain a Yoda-like figure to ensure it works.
With the contracts that have been inked, Buckley casts no spectre.
Malthouse is at no risk of being sacked if things wobble. Buckley can exert a subtle influence to shape things for the transition.
Doubtless the pair will lock horns at times. It will probably be invigorating for both. But the lines of seniority are clearly painted. A model long contemplated.
The test will come when Malthouse becomes the director of coaching.
This is a model long contemplated but tried only once.
Parkin joined Peter Schwab in that capacity at Hawthorn. Close as they were, their philosophies were diametrically opposed.
Schwab believed in empowerment and trust. Parkin felt that approach, at that time, with those players, would fail.
The younger man had to live or die by his own judgement so the mentor departed. Yet both still believe the two-headed approach will be commonplace in the future.
Of what is known, Buckley and Malthouse are similarly divergent. Take one example from their time as captain and coach.
In late 2006, Buckley's leadership group recommended Chris Tarrant and Ben Johnson be suspended for a match in Adelaide after an off-field indiscretion.
Malthouse rebuked the approach, settled for fines and selected the pair to give his team the best chance of winning a game.
The long-term concept will succeed or fail based on the personalities.
But those are contemplations for a different day.
For now the triumph is captured in the image of McGuire standing between Malthouse and Buckley having assembled football's equivalent of the impossible Obama/Clinton ticket.
These giants of modern-day Collingwood might yet stand in concert around a premiership cup.

The magnitude of the McGuire Pact is staggering.
Experienced coaches privately used the words "shocked" and "amazed" when it was revealed.
This is the deal Peter Costello never got.
Apparently Collingwood can have it all. How they will be hated for it.

How true is this? :thumbsu:

What a great article!!!

That was in reference to the recruitment of coaches.

Derek Hine will continue to be the head of recruiting for some time to come at the rate he's going.

Ahhh okay, that's a relief.

Does anyone know how the other assistants are feeling? Being told you won't have the chance to coach the senior side for at least 5 years could take the wind out of their sails.

No one will get this reference but here goes:

THE CAKE IS NOT A LIE

You wouldn't be referring to the "Portal" line would you, or even the reference to that great line in WOW as an achievement. (Yes I know that seems bad to most that I know this).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back