MMA article in the SMH

Remove this Banner Ad

Ugh, this just makes me angry.
You and I both but it's exactly what he was trying to accomplish. The article is one of the most viewed on the website, but soon his 15mins will be up.

What a ******* goof. I've seen a million of these articles and uneducated clowns sprouting off nonsense for years about mma and it still riles me up.

Just an uneducated opinion on the topic that is being fed to the the public. It makes my blood boil people that constantly criticize the sport but don't take the time to learn about it.

Why is anyone surprised at this article,MMA is going rapidly and vested interests were just waiting for a "blood bath"

Boxing promoters would be looking at the crowd and seeing $$$$$$$$$ they are missing out on.Watch for NSW and Qld state govts come under pressure to ban the octagon.

What I wouldn't do to see Phil Rothwell get his arse handed to him in an education on the sport. Then again he seems the stubborn, pig-headed type that refuses to accept the facts when faced with them. Not unlike the WA government/sporting commission.

It will always be this way. In 20 years when the sport is legitimately mainstream and hugley popular there will still be people who trash it, call it barbaric, disagree with it being sanctioned or whatever.
It changes nothing.

Having said that, they do need to target parents a bit better than they do through their promotions. Parents will drive it the true growth. Start with the ring girls, IMO. It's not the 1950's.

It will always be this way. In 20 years when the sport is legitimately mainstream and hugley popular there will still be people who trash it, call it barbaric, disagree with it being sanctioned or whatever.
It changes nothing.

Having said that, they do need to target parents a bit better than they do through their promotions. Parents will drive it the true growth. Start with the ring girls, IMO. It's not the 1950's.

Yeah I heard on one of the promos the other day, a caption of commentary saying something like "This is pure violence". Thought to myself, that isn't why I love MMA and it's certainly not going to garner positive mainstream attention.

Yeah I heard on one of the promos the other day, a caption of commentary saying something like "This is pure violence". Thought to myself, that isn't why I love MMA and it's certainly not going to garner positive mainstream attention.

You can't do that and then whinge when someone calls it mindless violence.

The majority of people I know who love the sport are twice as smart as the average person who follows footy, for example, with half the ego. These people and their kids will see it become the biggest sport in the world in time. No doubt in my mind.

I found the full article posted on mmafighting.com. Like I said, I wasn't going to access the article from the newspaper's website.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/...ufc-fight-night-33-hunt-silva-shogun-mma-news

Calling it barbaric and that it should be banned are the least of my concerns with the article. That's his opinion and I don't agree with it, but there's so much other stuff in it that's completely wrong or ridiculously stupid. I wouldn't be as annoyed if it was coming from some random person on the street but this guy is the ******* lead sports writer for that newspaper and he has no idea about the sport.

Most of the article is filled with one sentence paragraphs that are just asking a question. He asked why fighters aren't protected from blood diseases? Obviously he doesn't know how to operate google then. How about his illegal on the streets part? Ridiculously stupid considering he's apparently a boxing fan. It's more a disgrace that women are allowed to fight than men? Stupid.

Follow up article of the minutes taken with his pow-wow with UFC Australia boss Tom Wright.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a-fans-worldwide/story-fni2frsp-1226779851620

See below if you prefer not to click on the link above.

Buzz: I've never had more reaction to a column in 35 years of sports writing. You've got a fanatical band of supporters.

Tom: We have a remarkable global fan base. Very knowledgeable, very passionate. They respect the hard work, discipline and focus of our athletes.
They genuinely look up to them as role models. They have expertise in martial arts like Taekwondo, judo, karate, boxing, freestyle wrestling - disciplines that many parents put their children into.
They learn respect, conditioning, discipline, leadership. They are the principles you learn. If you attend a UFC event, you see these characteristics on display.
Buzz: Surely you are not telling me UFC is a children's sport.
Tom: I'm saying they can learn a lot of those life characteristics I mentioned. The vast majority will not end up fighting for the UFC.
It's no different to kids going into footy, cricket or rugby league. You play these sports in high school and on the weekend but not everyone has the talent to play NRL or AFL level.
Buzz: You call your competitors role models. It concerns me kids are copy cats. They look up to Shane Warne and try to bowl like he used to. Kids try to play soccer like David Beckham.
Is that a good thing. Do we want them doing this sort of thing on the streets or in the school playgrounds?
Tom: You don't have to copy and emulate your sports heroes by going onto the street to do it.
They can compete, learn and train in a proper and controlled environment.
Buzz: I'm sorry, but I don't like the bloody images. They make me sick. Why wasn't it stopped the other night when you could hardly see them for blood. If a player was covered in blood in an NRL game, they be removed from the field straight away.
Tom: They are tested for Hepatitis A and B, HIV and other blood diseases before very fight.
The safety of our athletes is and always will be our number one concern before and after fights.
They all go through rigorous medical testing to ensure they are fit to compete.
Buzz: What about drug testing?
Tom: They are tested before and after fight for performance enhancing drugs, which is overseen by the US combat sport authority.
They have a code and we apply it to our fighters. The instances of drug use are extremely low compared to other sports.
We've fined and suspended athletes for up to 12 months.
Buzz: What about kids in the sport. What age limit applies. I hear you have junior academies in America.
Tom: Professional MMA starts at about 18. They start younger in amateurs where there are far more safety procedures in place.
They use chin protectors, head-gear, there is no use of the elbow, shorter time limits and very close supervision.
Buzz: I still can't believe the punishment some of these fighters cop.
Tom: The referee and the doctor have the authority to stop a fight. They have a responsibility to always ensure the athletes can properly defend themselves and properly fight.
If there is any concern it is stopped immediately. We take their safety very seriously. What's important is the way we treat concussion.
They get put on medial suspensions for 30, 60 or 90 days. I played rugby back in the 70's. I had six or seven concussions.
I'd walk off the field and my coach would say 'shake it off Tom' and two minutes later you are back out there.
We have a third party, an athletics commission, that makes these jurisdictions. It's not us deciding to medically suspend a fighter. Our doctors don't work for us. A medical doctor paid by the team or the event organisers can be somewhat conflicted and that doesn't necessarily bring credibility.
Buzz: Sorry, to keep harping on it, but those bloody images make me feel sick.
Tom: It's not everybody's cup of tea. It's okay if you don't like the sport.
I have a problem when people say they don't like the sport because there are no rules.
There are tons of rules to protect the health and safety of the athletes.
Buzz: Hold on, an elbow to the head can kill someone.
Tom: If I may finish please. I don't like it when people say they don't like UFC because of mismatches or unfair competition. That's not a true statement.
Buzz: I saw one bloke, 41 years of age, held on the ground for almost three rounds getting belted.
He was outclassed and got absolutely pummelled. We knew after 30 seconds he couldn't win.
Tom: Yes, that was Anthony Perosh. His record was good. He'd won four of his previous five fights. He'd asked for that fight. He's a 10-time Australian black belt champion.
He had an off night. I met with him afterwards. The first thing he said was: "Tom, I'm sorry I let you down." It happens sometime. He'd won his previous fight as an underdog.
Buzz: Isn't this sport banned in France?
Tom: That's correct it's no permitted in France. A handful of other countries are the same.
We've ensured the sport is properly regulated in all countries where our events are staged.
We had to make sure the sport would grow responsibly and professionally.
Buzz: What about your demographics. What sort of people follow the sport.
Tom: This year we held 33 events around the world. In Toronto we had more than 55,000 at the event.
In the US we have a seven-year broadcasting deal with Fox. Our content is available in 145 countries and in 800 million households.
It's the fastest growing sport in the world, in fact the fastest growing sport ever.
I'll give you another example with the Nine MSN website. During and after the fight in Brisbane, UFC attracted more web traffic than the Ashes Test.
I'm told it was 300 clicks per second.
Buzz: Having such a huge following worries me and the impact it has on society. We have the NSW police commissioner talking about that aspect in the paper. What do you say to that.
Tom: This is what I'd say to him. Please judge our sport on facts and objectively. We've met with police and the facts are the UFC has fewer incidents than other major events.
Buzz: Sorry, you missed my point. It's more a society concern with bashing in Kings Cross and muggings on the streets. It's the impact on kids copying their sporting heroes and trying this sort of stuff in the school yards.
Tom: I'm sure they have those worries but the statistics will show that is not the case with the people who attend our events and our fans who are very respectful and admire the sportsmanship of the competitors.
Buzz: Do you think fans like the blood side of the sport.
Tom: Like the is wrong word. They understand it's a tough sport. There's blood in hockey, blood in rugby, there's blood in all sports.
They understand it's part of the sport.
Buzz: So if you had advice for parents, would you tell them to let their kids fight.
Tom: I would say they should introduce them into individual martial arts to learn qualities like honour, respect, commitment and physical fitness.
Buzz: I wrote the other day women should not be allowed into a cage. I was labelled sexist but I don't think it's a sport for women. That's the way I feel.
Tom: Women can make choices the same as men can. Three Australian women went to the London Olympics to compete in combat sports.
I have three daughters and four sisters. I grew up in a house where they were allowed to make informed decisions of their own.
No-one forced them to do anything. Women should have the same opportunities as men in all sport.
Buzz: Look into a crystal ball. How big will UFC be in Australia in 10 years.
Tom: I'd say it will be among the top five sports codes. Right now it's number 11 here according to our research.
It Canada it's number four, in the US it's number four and in Brazil it's number two, only after soccer. In time we'd like to take our events to every city in Australia, even down to Tasmania. And Darwin.
We're trying to build an industry around mixed martial arts and get more and more Australian engaged in activity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Wright is excellent, I'm sure he has dealt with many Buzzlightyears before. He's an excellent counter-balance to Dana and would make a great president if Dana ever stepped aside.

Tom Wright did a great job there. I jokingly said in the other thread that I'd like to see the interview with Dana or Rogan instead. That would have been a funny read but they'd have done far worse than Wright did here, especially Dana.

One thing I agree with Rothfield on is the Perosh fight. That should have been stopped.

Just flawless. I'm impressed, made 'Buzz' look like a fool for the things he was bringing up.

People like Tom Wright will be crucial for growth.

Dana is great at what he does, clearly, but you can't just get pissed off at people who don't like the product, jump up and down and stamp your feet. Tom was measured, understanding of some concerns, knew the stuff back to front and was plain in his view that it's not for everyone. This is crucial.

My wife hated it 2 years ago. Hated it. She'd leave the room if it was on. Now, through time, through increased knowledge and understanding and through exposure to the many positive aspects of the sport, she might wince and look away when a bloke has a bad cut, but she knows most of the top 10 in WW by name and she'd go to a live event. More importantly, she'd happily send my kids to good MMA gym.

Blokes like Tom Wright will make this change of stance common.

My wife hated it 2 years ago. Hated it. She'd leave the room if it was on. Now, through time, through increased knowledge and understanding and through exposure to the many positive aspects of the sport, she might wince and look away when a bloke has a bad cut, but she knows most of the top 10 in WW by name and she'd go to a live event. More importantly, she'd happily send my kids to good MMA gym.

That's a keeper, son.

I can relate, my missus was almost exactly the same as far back as 2 years ago, it was a gradual process really. I'd be explaining a lot of what was going on strategy wise to allay any confusions as to what was going on and why the competitors were doing what they were doing from a technical aspect, now she enjoys watching cards with me (when we get the time to sit down and do so) and she actually got onboard for the latest TUF season after being lukewarm to the whole concept from the outset.

I can relate, my missus was almost exactly the same as far back as 2 years ago, it was a gradual process really. I'd be explaining a lot of what was going on strategy wise to allay any confusions as to what was going on and why the competitors were doing what they were doing from a technical aspect, now she enjoys watching cards with me (when we get the time to sit down and do so) and she actually got onboard for the latest TUF season after being lukewarm to the whole concept from the outset.

My wife still hates it and doesn't really like that i train Jits and MMA but she knows its a passion of mine and she is cool with it (she didn't really like footy when i was playing that either). She has watched a few fights and just doesn't like it, but when i talk to her about these articles that people write or peoples opinions of MMA she is usually staggered. Her exact response to this one was "i don't know enough about the sport to tell someone why they should or shouldn't do it, therefore i never would, frankly if people make the decision, and some there are some very intelligent guys at your gym, to do it then who am i or anyone else to tell them not to, this guy sounds like an idiot".

It seems as though the only people making decisions about the sport are people who have had either little or no exposure to it.

On another note we saw a fight at the AFC on Saturday be awarded a no contest due to a fighter being bundled over the rope and claiming he couldn't continue due to striking his head on the judges table (it was controversial as he copped a huge knee that i and most other thought had KO'd him just prior to this happening) but essentially Gustavo Falciroli gets robbed of his win bonus and we risk a serious injury to the fighter (read professional athlete) because the media doesn't like the look of the cage. It's insanity.

I agree - the Perosh fight didn't look great.. If anything, it gave nonces like this some ammunition for their ignorant tirades. As for Buzz, he should catch up for a drink with John McCain - they'd have much to talk about.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but John McCain actually supports the sport now. His opinion has changed.
He was even interviewed for the 20 years UFC documentary that came out a few weeks ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back