MMA article in the SMH

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, well there you go. Even more reason they should catch up for a Chardy. :)

I've gotta chase up that doco too...
It's great, they did an amazing job with it. It (rightfully) focuses a LOT on the pre Zuffa era too which was good. They're often accused of ignoring that part of the UFC, but this documentary covers it well.
It could have been longer, but I think it's over an hour long already.

I agree, that documentary was great. The early days of the UFC being relived was very good and detailed. The later stuff seemed pretty rushed after they'd spent so long on the early days, but then again there's not a whole lot that you can say just now about the more recent stuff. One thing I really didn't like was the documentary acting as if Randy Couture didn't exist. It's not like I'm surprised with that but it's disappointing.

I don't really get why people would blast McCain for his views about MMA all the way back then. He was largely correct, I think it was barbaric after going back and watching some of that early stuff.

I just watched it last night for the first time, I also thought it was bizarre just how little they mentioned or used any footage of Randy Couture. They covered him VERY briefly with the first TUF seasons and a fight with Chuck but other than that he was largely ignored in favour of Tito, Chuck and Ken Shamrock etc. Pretty childish IMO.

Anyone listen to 3aw this morning? Extraordinary display of ignorance from our acting premier, who"s apparently unaware mma is already legal in the state he's currently running.

On the other hand, the guy from the opposition sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

no ufc in melbourne until labor are back in power

When it comes to the libs, research is always overrated.. unless it happens to back up your stance on something. I can't say i'm surprised. It just sounds identical to WA's issues.

I find it staggering that they don't differ to someone that actually knows what they are talking about, even if it is someone opposed to the cage etc surely it makes more sense to ask someone with an idea what they are talking about.

The headline of 'blood money' and using Silva's injury to turn people off from the sport when the Cage is the issue, nothing to do with the sport being legal in the state..

yep. Exactly what I was yelling at the radio this morning. Completely irrelevant to the issue at hand

I havent been a big fan of the sport for a few years now but it was pissing me right off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This one is golden

Malcolm2 hours ago
Instead of trying to lure a Violent sport like this to Etihad, why not approach the NFL to try and have an annual round of the NFL instead ?. The NFL is the world's largest Football code and it has a massive world - wide following. If Melbourne hosted an annual round of the NFL at Etihad Stadium - it will always get a Full - House crowd attendance. A Melbourne round of the NFL would attract Fans from around Australia and as well as New Zealand, Asia and expat Americans. A Melbourne NFL Round would be shown World - wide on TV and like the F1GP, Melbourne Cup and the AFL Grand Final. A Melbourne NFL Round could be held in either October, November or December and it won't clash with the AFL/ NRL Seasons. A round of the NFL would be a far better event to have than a Blood sport event like this.

Clearly Malcolm has never read up on the concussion epidemic the NFL is dealing with at the moment, there are more stringent suspensions on concussions in the UFC than the NFL.

Steve:
We don't need more violence in our culture. One punch kills outside pubs don't come from nowhere, and we need to start changing things somehow. Accepting these things helps the myth that throwing one single little punch is ok (because those guys throw so many in one fight). If it saves one life, the 50 million will be worth It.

....o_O

Yeah those comments were a headache. I made a few, some didn't get published.
I don't blame the uninformed for their thoughts on the sport. I once thought the same. It's hard not to when your only exposure to it is through the newspapers and the media that focus on the bloodsport aspect of it. I watched some interviews with the fighters, with Dana and I soon realised that it wasn't human cockfighting. They weren't just thugs out to hurt another person.

There's a huge difference between the MMA supporters and the people who hate it. You can tell in the language they use.. The MMA fans seem a lot more respectful than those that want the entire sport banned.

A lot of people are confusing this latest discussion as a "Ban UFC" or not. That's how uninformed they are.
To ban the cage, but allow the sport is so backwards I can hardly believe it - but again, I can't blame the uninformed because of the way the sport is portrayed in the media.

Yeah those comments were a headache. I made a few, some didn't get published.
I don't blame the uninformed for their thoughts on the sport. I once thought the same. It's hard not to when your only exposure to it is through the newspapers and the media that focus on the bloodsport aspect of it. I watched some interviews with the fighters, with Dana and I soon realised that it wasn't human cockfighting. They weren't just thugs out to hurt another person.

There's a huge difference between the MMA supporters and the people who hate it. You can tell in the language they use.. The MMA fans seem a lot more respectful than those that want the entire sport banned.

A lot of people are confusing this latest discussion as a "Ban UFC" or not. That's how uninformed they are.
To ban the cage, but allow the sport is so backwards I can hardly believe it - but again, I can't blame the uninformed because of the way the sport is portrayed in the media.

It's a fair point, i would like to think i don't pass judgement on things without some knowledge (and for the most part i wouldn't/don't) but truth be told we have all done it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back