Mobile Phones & Providers

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been with 3 /Vodafone for around 15 years.

My phone is an IPhone 5C up for renewal in March 2016. It currently won't show the correct time.

I have tried to change the time to the correct time through General-> Time and date using both the automatic and manual settings. I've tried turning it off and back on and doing the same thing. I've tried restoring factory settings. All for no luck. So in the meantime I use a website to check the time (or could use a watch).

I use my phone mainly for texts / calls FB, Twitter, Instagram and browsing the web (and posting on BF).

So, what provider are you with? What are your experiences with them? Voda's coverage can sometimes be an issue but for the most part it is fine for me unless I'm in the country, which isn't frequently.

For the most part I've been happy enough with my phones (previously had Nokias and an IPhone 4).

What phone do you use?

Any recommendations please?

I have been with 3 /Vodafone for around 15 years.

My phone is an IPhone 5C up for renewal in March 2016. It currently won't show the correct time.

I have tried to change the time to the correct time through General-> Time and date using both the automatic and manual settings. I've tried turning it off and back on and doing the same thing. I've tried restoring factory settings. All for no luck. So in the meantime I use a website to check the time (or could use a watch).

I use my phone mainly for texts / calls FB, Twitter, Instagram and browsing the web (and posting on BF).

So, what provider are you with? What are your experiences with them? Voda's coverage can sometimes be an issue but for the most part it is fine for me unless I'm in the country, which isn't frequently.

For the most part I've been happy enough with my phones (previously had Nokias and an IPhone 4).

What phone do you use?

Any recommendations please?
I'm an avid Android lover/believer. Android is open source. So it's infinitely more functional as a device in terms of uploading music, videos, docs, etc to and from PC. Android built by Google, also means you get all of Google's goodies....google drive (docs, spreadsheets), translate, maps, earth, etc etc, preloaded. Apple and Windows are more locked in. I hate Apple's inferface/GUI. I love Windows interface/GUI. But again, it's locked in, and you don't have as many apps available on Windows as you do Apple/Android. Also, no Google Drive is a major problem for me.

Also, Google has the awesomely seamless ability to sync all your contacts, browser bookmarks, etc, between your PC and phone. So, also like if you need to change phones, you just log into your Google account on the new phone, and all your sync'd stuff just installs to the new phone. No messing about trying to get photos, contacts, etc from one phone to the other.

In terms of phone. I have gone thru the period of using Asian devices like Samsung, Sony, etc, and totally hate them now. Instead, I have recently purchased an OPPO R7. It's the bomb. It's only $456 from Optus Store (unlocked), and you get it with a free super-charger, headphones, and protective cover. Otherwise, $456 on its own at Dick Smith. Oppo r7 is incredible. It's actually more powerful than most of the hyped upmarket phones, and at half the price. It has EIGHT cores, not 2 or 4 like most phones. It has full 1920x760 HD display. It's only 5" screen, (the r7 PLUS is bigger). It's super light. And isn't preloaded with junk like you get from Samsung and Sony, etc.

In terms of provider. I guess Telstra has to be the best. I've been using Optus for about 4 years and for the most part I'm more than satisfied. You get 95% coverage. There are many times tho when the coverage isn't there in common urban places, drops out in tunnels, or randomly. I would never use Vodaphone or Virgin etc. Just avoid them. Telstra will probably be my next provider when my Optus contract runs out.....due to the coverage and reliability thing. But Telstra don't often have as good deals as Optus, Voda, etc. And their customer service is downright disgraceful. Optus is better in terms of plans, deals, and service. But in the end, I'll probably try Telstra next. I always like to switch every few years.

Look for plans that offer you at least 3-5 GB per month data plans, and for no more than around 60-80 dollars a month. Those days of 1GB plans at 80 should be over.

I should have added I will probably need 5gig a month as my phone just chews data spending 2hrs a day on public transport.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. In 100 years society may look back at any of several events (9-11; Paris last week; some ISIS pole smoker letting off a nuke at a Super Bowl) as the start of WWIII. If it does go to s**t, just stop making your payments. Nothing to lose.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. In 100 years society may look back at any of several events (9-11; Paris last week; some ISIS pole smoker letting off a nuke at a Super Bowl) as the start of WWIII. If it does go to s**t, just stop making your payments. Nothing to lose.
Certainly a cumulative process. Has been a concerted effort to push things that way, push things to a brink where "just a shot away" years later starts the actual war. If there's a war, it'd be Russia v USA anyway, all this ISIS/Islam stuff is just the pawn. They wouldn't stand a chance in an all-out war against a western force like UK, USA, France, Germany even acting alone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back