Mod. Notice Mod Announcements - Please read latest posts

Remove this Banner Ad

McCarthy.jpg

You're a Commie TheBrownDog.
tongue.gif

Haha, bit of an inside joke, but that is brilliant.:D

There's been a bit of an increase in people using less than savoury descriptions and terms on this board. This is supposed to be a board for all ages, sexes, races etc. We'd like to create an environment where everyone feels welcome. Please keep your posts clean - that includes avoiding bad language, bad taste comments etc.

The other aspect is swear word filter avoidance. Don't do it. It is a infractable offence.

Re: A warning: Mods are cranky

A warning: please don't request or provide links to torrents of games on this board.
A friendly reminder.

From the forum rules: No hacks, torrents, file swapping info or material of that nature.

You'll cop a card if you break this rule. Starting...........now!

The right of the footy fan to be disgusted with his club has long gone on the Bigfooty Board. Pro-club, anti disgust and passionate responses are now deemed unacceptable by moderators.

As a result our board is becoming generic and boring. There is a lack of insightful critiquing of our club. We should be able to continue to discuss points such as Bradshaw departing, our recruits, coaching etc if we as posters deem neccessary. The bigfooty public then has the right to reply or ignore.

Such terms such as pussy, idiot, fool etc should be deemed acceptable, this isn't a workplace and such terms are not overly aggressive or degrading. These words are part of any passionate discussion between football lovers.

The reality is our board is over moderated and is becoming stale!

The right of the footy fan to be disgusted with his club has long gone on the Bigfooty Board. Pro-club, anti disgust and passionate responses are now deemed unacceptable by moderators.

Show me an example of mods doing this.

There is a lack of insightful critiquing of our club. We should be able to continue to discuss points such as Bradshaw departing, our recruits, coaching etc if we as posters deem neccessary. The bigfooty public then has the right to reply or ignore.

I thought there had been an abundance of discussion on these matters.:confused:

As a result our board is becoming generic and boring. There is a lack of insightful critiquing of our club. We should be able to continue to discuss points such as Bradshaw departing, our recruits, coaching etc if we as posters deem neccessary. The bigfooty public then has the right to reply or ignore.

Such terms such as pussy, idiot, fool etc should be deemed acceptable, this isn't a workplace and such terms are not overly aggressive or degrading. These words are part of any passionate discussion between football lovers.

The reality is our board is over moderated and is becoming stale!

If anything I think this board has become stale because it is too predictable. After a loss the world is ending and after a win we are the best team in the comp.

There is plenty of negative and positive discussion allowed but quality posts/discussions, whether positive or negative, are becoming more few and far between. Swamped by the reactionary, pointless posts.

Posts like "Staker is a hack" or "We will never win a flag with a flog like Raines in the team" add nothing and are the majority of what we see on this board at the moment. Posts like "Rich appears to have lost confidence in his kicking" or "missing Merrett has disturbed the structure of our defence" are more well thought out and actually allow discussion...but as I said are the minority.

But Notting don't we want passionate supporters that ride the ebbs and flow of the season with their hearts on their sleave. Isn't it that passion that makes a man ravenous for his mrs after a great Lions win or wanting to console himself at the bottom of a beer glass when we lose.

We spend our lives being measured people looking rationally upon the ups and downs thrown at us at work and in the monotony of our every day.

The world is ending for when we lose on some occasions like when we don't even look like we are trying. When we have injuries or are completely outclassed eg. cats then i think the responses are more measured

The reality is Bigfooty should be a forum that allows us as members/posters to vent, celebrate etc etc

I agree with Acuguy. IMO this board is not used by the majority of Brisbane members of Bigfooty. One only has to look at other boards to see we don't post.The volume of threads and posts on this board is sparse in comparrison to others.Is that due to fear of being carded for a particular point of view or what?

But Notting don't we want passionate supporters that ride the ebbs and flow of the season with their hearts on their sleave. Isn't it that passion that makes a man ravenous for his mrs after a great Lions win or wanting to console himself at the bottom of a beer glass when we lose.

We spend our lives being measured people looking rationally upon the ups and downs thrown at us at work and in the monotony of our every day.

The world is ending for when we lose on some occasions like when we don't even look like we are trying. When we have injuries or are completely outclassed eg. cats then i think the responses are more measured

The reality is Bigfooty should be a forum that allows us as members/posters to vent, celebrate etc etc

I am going to preface my opinions with "The reality is..." from now on.
Looks like fun. ;)

I agree with Acuguy. IMO this board is not used by the majority of Brisbane members of Bigfooty. One only has to look at other boards to see we don't post.The volume of threads and posts on this board is sparse in comparrison to others.Is that due to fear of being carded for a particular point of view or what?

Hard to speculate on what other people are thinking. Do you fear being carded for posting a particular view?

Absolutely. It's become like an asylum around here.

How so?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to say what you feel some times with the fear of the men in white coats bringing the straight-jacket aka the red card.

Agreed, but some people may find it hard to say what they feel sometimes for fear of being called a "pussy", have their intelligence questioned or something similarly unpleasant.

This is the balance mods have to tiptoe around in order to provide a comfortable environment for as many people as possible.

As much as acu might like to think so, you don't appease everyone by simple having a hands off mod policy. His opinion is perfectly valid, but it's easy to make the mistake of assuming that what you want is the same thing everyone else does.

Personally I don't mind reading negative stuff in itself. I actually get a laugh out of acuguy bumping the "lid is off" thread one week and then calling for heads to roll the next week. It's an accurate reflection of what being a supporter is about, top of the world one week, gutted the next. It's the rollercoaster of footy, and I experience it myself week to week.

I do however, have to admit to forming opinions on people why by and large seem to post only negative stuff without balancing it out with positivity during the good times. I know you for example Tim, primarily through BigFooty. I've met you once at the Turf Bar so I know you are a ripper bloke and passionate Lions supporter win, lose or draw. We don't see a lot of you on BigFooty after a win, as I suspect you'd rather be out celebrating it in style, and rightly so. From what I can tell you use BigFooty as an outlet to vent after a loss which is also cool.

To people that only know you online though, they would only see this side of you and could be forgiven for mistaking you for a bit of an Eeyore and it may eventually start to affect the way people respond to you. The internet isn't good for giving a good feel on how people really are.

For the record, there is a lot of negativity on the board at the moment, which is proportionate to the s**t form we are in. I haven't seen anyone carded for negativity whatsoever, so I'm interested in how you have been left with the perception that weevil, POBT & Grim punish negativity.

From what I could tell, it wasn't the theme of acuguy's post that got him a holiday, but because of the way it was framed with attacks on other board users.

Hard to speculate on what other people are thinking. Do you fear being carded for posting a particular view?

How so?

I do fear being infracted or carded. There seems to be a definate inequity on this board. Some appear to be allowed to be offensive and vile to others and NOT be carded, applauded by posters for their nasty comments. ie the post by John on acuguy.

Red cards are overrated anyway.

If Bay13 has taught me anything (and it hasn't), it is that you can always create an alias and then go and cause trouble on the board as revenge. Unless you aren't smart enough to mask your IP.

TheBrownDog said:
From what I could tell, it wasn't the theme of acuguy's post that got him a holiday, but because of the way it was framed with attacks on other board users.

Yep.

Hands up how many people posted negative comments about the team's performance over the past few weeks? Now, hands up how many people got a yellow/red card over the past few weeks (on the Lions board)?

To the best of my knowledge, we've issued 2 cards in the past few weeks on this board to Lions supporters - both to the same person.

2 cards after some of the most disappointing footy we've seen in some time. How are we stifling emotional response?

I think it is fair to say that the moderators on this board are reluctant to give infractions to regular Lions Board posters. It really doesn't happen often. If someone has gone overboard, we much prefer to send a PM or to give a general warning. If a card has been issued, it is because of either repeated behaviour (where a warning has been issued) or the poster has left us no other choice.

I am most certainly happy to listen to feedback about any concerns that the board is overly-sanitised or that certain views are not tolerated etc. It is certainly something that we regularly discuss amongst the moderators. We try and ensure that all views are catered for but I don't think that we profess to be perect in that regard.

But keep in mind the following when you judge how this board is to be run:

1. Personal abuse, particularly of other posters, is not tolerated.

2. BigFooty has rules which we are required to enforce.

3. This is a board for all people - regardless of age, gender, race etc. Language and content must be respectful of that.

These things aren't going to change. Unless there is a change in focus on BigFooty, we will always moderate with these 3 factors in mind.

If you are abusive in your post, the chances are that there will be some form of moderator response. If you post in a way that others might find offensive, then there will be some form of moderator response. If you break BigFooty rules, then there will be some form of moderator response. These things are immoveable.

As I said, I am more than happy to listen to feedback or respond to concerns about censoring, sanitisation etc. These things are worth debating. But those issues need to be separated out from abuse, breaking the rules etc.

Yep.

Hands up how many people posted negative comments about the team's performance over the past few weeks? Now, hands up how many people got a yellow/red card over the past few weeks (on the Lions board)?

To the best of my knowledge, we've issued 2 cards in the past few weeks on this board to Lions supporters - both to the same person.

2 cards after some of the most disappointing footy we've seen in some time. How are we stifling emotional response?

I think it is fair to say that the moderators on this board are reluctant to give infractions to regular Lions Board posters. It really doesn't happen often. If someone has gone overboard, we much prefer to send a PM or to give a general warning. If a card has been issued, it is because of either repeated behaviour (where a warning has been issued) or the poster has left us no other choice.

I am most certainly happy to listen to feedback about any concerns that the board is overly-sanitised or that certain views are not tolerated etc. It is certainly something that we regularly discuss amongst the moderators. We try and ensure that all views are catered for but I don't think that we profess to be perect in that regard.

But keep in mind the following when you judge how this board is to be run:

1. Personal abuse, particularly of other posters, is not tolerated.

2. BigFooty has rules which we are required to enforce.

3. This is a board for all people - regardless of age, gender, race etc. Language and content must be respectful of that.

These things aren't going to change. Unless there is a change in focus on BigFooty, we will always moderate with these 3 factors in mind.

If you are abusive in your post, the chances are that there will be some form of moderator response. If you post in a way that others might find offensive, then there will be some form of moderator response. If you break BigFooty rules, then there will be some form of moderator response. These things are immoveable.

As I said, I am more than happy to listen to feedback or respond to concerns about censoring, sanitisation etc. These things are worth debating. But those issues need to be separated out from abuse, breaking the rules etc.

I thank you for that information. Can you please explain though,why post 77 and post 88 in the Game Day thread are deemed not abusive of another poster.They are both showing that they have not received a card of any sort. I am confused.

Hard to say what you feel some times with the fear of the men in white coats bringing the straight-jacket aka the red card.

You have never had a red card. You haven't even had a yellow card. Where is this fear coming from?

I do however, have to admit to forming opinions on people why by and large seem to post only negative stuff without balancing it out with positivity during the good times. I know you for example Tim, primarily through BigFooty. I've met you once at the Turf Bar so I know you are a ripper bloke and passionate Lions supporter win, lose or draw. We don't see a lot of you on BigFooty after a win, as I suspect you'd rather be out celebrating it in style, and rightly so. From what I can tell you use BigFooty as an outlet to vent after a loss which is also cool...

You've definitely got my number as those who do know me know that I am very passionate about the Lions, whether it was the Roys or the Brissie kind.

I had been away from BF at the start of the season, coincidentally, when we were winning because of a new job start and hadn't had a chance to get on but I'm the sort of bloke who goes out and buys two papers (both the Age and Herald Sun) after a win and only read my home-delivered Sun after a loss.

I come to BF, not so much to vent my spleen (unless I'm drunk after a bad loss) but to find solace from other supporters and my wife even gets angry at me when we lose. I've found that if I don't get on BF straight after a game I can be a bit more 'balanced' in the cold light of day.

I did feel however that we were very lucky to win the first four as we got the benefit of costly turnovers from the opposition and I'm still pessimistic about this season even though I'm a generally optimistic person.

I do enjoy going to have a beer with anyone who is Lions and especially on game day but I hate losing worst than the next bloke and in times of bad losses we need to give everyone a little 'space' so we can get over it in the short term. Maybe rather than a 'red card' we should have 'temp red card' for blokes like me 12-hours after every game? I know like an alcoholic, i've banned myself from BF immediately after a loss this year and that's going to make it a happier place hopefully.

And just remember, the Toolman nickname came from Danny Morton when I was at Fitzroy but I am a Toolman by nature and the stirs that come my way I don't really give a toss as you, Blynd Freddie, DanielCanberra, FFB1 and Duritz know as you've met me personally and had a beer with me, know that I am the last person in the world to take myself seriously.

Go lions!

Maybe rather than a 'red card' we should have 'temp red card' for blokes like me 12-hours after every game? I know like an alcoholic, i've banned myself from BF immediately after a loss this year and that's going to make it a happier place hopefully.

I think you describe is a classic situation where there are two very different styles of posting. On the one hand, we have posters here who simply cannot tolerate any sort of negativity about the side, the players, the coach, the club. On the other hand, we have posters who react to a loss with real passion and sometimes that comes out as strong criticism of players, coach, club. Neither sort of poster should feel unwelcome on this board. But both need to be aware that the other is a "different type" of footy follower. Different strokes for different folks.....

DifferentStrokes.jpg

Can I say that the mods have been criticised by both the overly positive and overly negative, and for both interfering too much and not interfering enough. Read into that what you will!

I think you describe is a classic situation where there are two very different styles of posting. On the one hand, we have posters here who simply cannot tolerate any sort of negativity about the side, the players, the coach, the club. On the other hand, we have posters who react to a loss with real passion and sometimes that comes out as strong criticism of players, coach, club. Neither sort of poster should feel unwelcome on this board. But both need to be aware that the other is a "different type" of footy follower. Different strokes for different folks.....

The joys of footy. Brings the best and the worst out of all of us.

I like the passion and the fire that the game brings up, and dislike negativity about the club from outsiders. I'm sure there are many like that, and many who have different emotions at different times. As long as everyone plays the post and not the poster. It's all human nature, and should be treat as such.

Just a reminder that if you see a post or thread that you think is inappropriate or breaks the site or board rules, then the best course of action is to report it. The little triangle symbol at the left of posts gets you there.

When you report a post, the mods get an email to let us know. This is the quickest way of getting someone to look at a post and to take whatever action is necessary/appropriate.