Modern Day coulda been champions

Biggest coulda been champion

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Might get shot down for this but I reckon Justin Westhoff. Has the Athletism, Smarts, Skills to be a once in a generation player. Will go down as a good player, but I've always thought he could be in the top 5-10 players in the league.

He needs to show a bit more mongrel, but if that's not in his nature so be it. The failure of John Butcher to measure up has probably affected the way Hoff has had to be used. Will be interesting to see how he goes with Paddy Ryder in the team.

He needs to show a bit more mongrel, but if that's not in his nature so be it. The failure of John Butcher to measure up has probably affected the way Hoff has had to be used. Will be interesting to see how he goes with Paddy Ryder in the team.
Agreed. I thought we were in huge trouble in the final when Ibbotson matched up on him, IMO Ibbotson held him pretty well but I was worried. If he had that bit of Mongrel and realised how good he could be, could seriously be in the top echelon of players.

From Carlton

Ian Aitken - Was a rising Star and premiership CHB the year before Alistair Clarkson king hit him in a London exhibition match. Never returned the same player.

Peter Motley - Tragic car accident robbed the game of an up and coming champion.

Andrew Phillips - Was a gun little player who had just started to tear it up when forced into retirement at 21yo due to a back injury.

Stephen Oliver - Very talented forward who shunned city life and returned to play in the bush, kicking over 1000 goals for his club I think.

Kouta - Could have been one of the best ever. Struggled with his father's battle with cancer and passing after a couple of breakout seasons and when he finally started to hit the height of talent, did just about every knee ligament you could think of.

From Carlton

Ian Aitken - Was a rising Star and premiership CHB the year before Alistair Clarkson king hit him in a London exhibition match. Never returned the same player.

Peter Motley - Tragic car accident robbed the game of an up and coming champion.

Andrew Phillips - Was a gun little player who had just started to tear it up when forced into retirement at 21yo due to a back injury.

Stephen Oliver - Very talented forward who shunned city life and returned to play in the bush, kicking over 1000 goals for his club I think.

Kouta - Could have been one of the best ever. Struggled with his father's battle with cancer and passing after a couple of breakout seasons and when he finally started to hit the height of talent, did just about every knee ligament you could think of.
Motely was an absolute gun. One of my favourite non-RFC players. So sad.

Lewis Johnston always struck me as one who would've smashed it out of the park as a traditional old-style KPF, but is just completely unsuited to the modern game.

Physical defenders would have eaten him alive back in the day. He was quick but one on one those big guys would have flogged him.

On topic: Adam Cooney. His 2008 was electrifying and he was certainly brownlow calibre. Then injuries struck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Egan from the cats went alright until that s**t ass foot injury. Kouta b4 he done his knee was one of the most devastating players I've ever seen. Cut him down when he was in brownlow form

I reckon Nick Holland could have gone on to be considered a champion CHF if his shoulders didn't both pack it in. He had a pretty good career up until 2000 and then as a 25/26 year old he kicked 51 goals and took 196 marks (63 contested). At this stage of his career his very unorthodox kicking had sorted itself out and he was the most commanding high mark I have seen at Hawthorn. In 2001 he was entering his prime years as a key forward and I believe signed a lucrative contract.

Then his career utterly s**t itself.

He would have been just so much better given the umpire interpretations nick reiwoldt gets for example. Probably a better kick too

Also budster if he could kick like dunstall or lockett

For a no name, chubbs petersen

Trent Hentschel the kid was going to be our next Modra.
Very classy and always looked as if he had all the time in the world with the ball in his hands.
A knee injury compared to a serious car accident basically finished his career.
He did manage a comeback, remember when he kicked his first goal back after the reco was an emotional game. :(

3 WA boys who did play the big league, but I reckon could have been big stars were:
Brett Spinks, Stevan Jackson & Dion Woods.

Dean Rioli - Fitness and injuries.
Kouta - While he was an amazing player, he could have been one of the absolute greatest. Injury and some family issues.
Jared Brennan -If he spent less time trying to constantly palm the ball in one hand. He was often so frustrating to watch and could have done much more.
Shaun Higgins - Still has the potential to rocket, has the ability.
Cyril Rioli - Constant hamstring problems have limited him, though he is still a great player. Get the hamstrings right and he can do anything.

Back