Sep 17, 2010
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
Young Warriors Face Colossal Expectations
TheFreshBanana

During a recent interview with the Warriors captain, Frankston Rover, on Talking Qooty, FR came out with a bold statement claiming that the Warriors are “arguably one of the strongest posting sides in the league”.

It's unclear where FR is basing such a statement on, considering the real season doesn't begin for another 13 days, and any such competition with the word “cup” in it, isn't going to be a true reflection of each team's posting calibre for the upcoming season. It didn't stop there, he went on to further reiterate statements that players such as Haduken, invinciBLUES, BigJoeD, Lord Flashheart and zackah were capable of becoming future Hall of Famers, and even favourites for the EKA. This will no doubt place a heavy spotlight, and burden, on these individual rookies, to not only meet their captains expectations, but also to carry their side to become “one of the strongest posting sides in the league”. And they surely will have to carry the brunt of the posting load this season, considering their VC, Sydney Bloods, wasn't a feature on any of Gee Dub's or Gentlemen's top 50, and eaglesfan99 and thetradesman managing to poll 25% of the votes as the worst poster in the league for S17 (with thetradesman on 23%).

Is it possible for a team of rookies to really be considered in an argument discussing the strongest posting sides in the league? We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm also confident we can get an EKA medallist out of this list - minus the curse, of course.

Lel, no such thing.

Not even close, they maybe in the future, but at this point, not even close.

Our team thread is miles ahead of most sides and I'd say that we've out posted the opposition in our match threads.

Not sure what more we can do but the sphincter twitching continues unabated from the gallery...

Our team thread is miles ahead of most sides and I'd say that we've out posted the opposition in our match threads.

Not sure what more we can do but the sphincter twitching continues unabated from the gallery...
Of course the hype will be around for a team just starting out. Everyone is excited about a new club. That's a given and if you guys were not up there posting strong early on, that would be raising some real alarm bells about the bid going through to begin with.

The real test will be mid season. I am not saying the Warriors can't become a strong posting side, I personally, just don't see it this season.

Of course the hype will be around for a team just starting out. Everyone is excited about a new club. That's a given and if you guys were not up there posting strong early on, that would be raising some real alarm bells about the bid going through to begin with.

The real test will be mid season. I am not saying the Warriors can't become a strong posting side, I personally, just don't see it this season.

FR is as good as it gets as a captain and a poster. His squad is handpicked by instinct.

They're gonna be ok.

I think they will be ok, just not number one in a short amount of time.

Oh, were we discussing them being number one?

Nah. That's us and you and them.

The Warriors won't be battling though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FR is as good as it gets as a captain and a poster. His squad is handpicked by instinct.

They're gonna be ok.
I'm not sure the best captains in the game would be silly enough to give opportunities to both eaglesfan and thetradesman. But hey, what would I know, I recruited Big Moose...

I'm not sure the best captains in the game would be silly enough to give opportunities to both eaglesfan and thetradesman. But hey, what would I know, I recruited Big Moose...

When all else is lost, when the flogs beg for that second chance, the master will make them champions...

Or he'll f*** it with them. Who knows?

Frankston Rover is a piece of work worth negotiating with. Love him. And he can't lose.

Or he will and I'll still kinda dig him.

As any marketer will tell you, any publicity is good publicity. :)

So far these guys have contributed very well. Maybe it was the culture of their old clubs that was the issue... ;)

This week we will be bringing to you our interview with Frankston Rover, the new captain of the Coney Island Warriors.

Danoz: Welcome to the couch FR. First, congrats on your successful bid. You were only successful due to okeys deciding vote. What do you have to say to the captains who voted no?

FR: I understand the reasoning behind the "no" votes and there's no hard feelings about that to be honest. No one has brought it up since and everyone in the match threads has been very positive. That said, I think we have surprised many given the amount of support the new guys have brought to the league and I think if we can keep that up for the season then we will have proven our worth. We are aiming to be competitive and I like the underdog status our club has.

I truly believe that we are one to watch over the next two to three seasons.

TFB: You stated earlier that you expect some of these new players to be "future hall of famers". Now, let's check back in reality first, and discuss the expectations you have on your rookies this season. An expected post count average, maybe get more involved around the league, a few media pieces down the track, or even see a few crack Gee Dub's top 50 ranking thread?

FR: I honestly believe that will happen. Don't ask me to name names because I don't really know with certainty but there has been so many positives already that I'm sure we have some special contributors amongst the list.

From alex_is_on_fire, Mr_Smooth, eaglesfan99 and Haduken helping out behind the scenes to zackah, invinciBlues, BigJoeD and Lord_Flashheart to name a few in the game threads, I know that we have some future HoF's in there.

I'm also confident we can get an EKA medallist out of this list - minus the curse, of course.

It really has been a lot of fun to see us go from what was a bid that almost didn't make it into arguably one of the strongest posting sides in the league. The challenge of course is keeping that momentum going but so far, so good.

TFB: The Warriors have taken in 2 of the more controversial posters in the SFA, in thetradesman and eaglesfan99. Can you tell us if there's been any specific instructions or curtails that have been set regarding these 2?

FR: One of my own personal goals with this club was to give people an opportunity.
That might be leadership, it might be a positional change or in these guys cases it might be a last chance at the Sweet FA. I understand they've stepped out of line a few times but so far they have been enthusiastic and have contributed very well to the team.

All I've asked is that they contribute to the team and they've done that so far.

I'm optimistic that both these guys can settle into the club and be productive members of the competition and if that happens, I'll be rapt for them both.

TFB: UL has recently mocked the idea of Sydney Bloods as captain. What does SB bring to the team regarding his leadership, and why did you make him your VC?

FR: One of my frustrations with some observers in this league is everyone needs to be seen to be doing something. Why is that?

Sydney has been a huge help to me - particularly during the bidding process - and much of his work was largely unseen to outsiders. The Coney Island Warriors would not be in the league were it not for Sydney Bloods. Full stop.

So guys can make noise all they like. We inside the club know what's what and in my opinion SB would be a valuable asset to any team in the competition and I'm glad he's on mine.

TFB: Can you go into detail as to what this work has been?

FR: When I joined the bid there were several well known Sweet FA identities involved. As the leaders of the bid withdrew it was myself, Bosh and Sydney Bloods that stepped up to run the bid.
SB gave advice, helped with recruiting, we talked about lots of things regarding the club and what we wanted to achieve.

When Bosh had to withdraw, SB and I were stuck in a position of either pushing on or throwing in the towel. It was a very real possibility that the team wouldn't proceed with the bid but SB was adamant that we give it one more shot.

He's never been a 150 posts per day kind of guy but whenever I've needed help, he's always been there to do what he can. And he's never once asked me for something. I'm not sure what else you'd want in a VC to be honest?

TFB: You've gone with 2 completely different looking team sheets for both pre-season games so far. Can you give us any idea of what you may be looking to line up, come round 1? Like, who's going to be at FF or Ruck, or which players will be a constant feature in the midfield at this point?

FR: Our idea is to reward posting players. Players who post will be rotated through different positions on the ground. Now obviously completely changing the list every week is a pain in the bum for the simmer but we think it's only fair to give everyone a shot at FF, in the middle or in the ruck if they are posting.
It's our way of giving everyone (particularly the rookies) a taste of the game and getting them excited about each round.

Danoz: So FR I wanted to also ask you about the round's results. Did you get a look at the rest of the games? The warriors unfortunately had a couple of losses, but were you pleased with the performances of any of your freshies?

FR: Yeah the results so far have been a little disappointing - we've only won the one game - but the signs are encouraging. We've run some established teams close and I think BigJoeD, Haduken, alex_is_on_fire and thetradesman have all shown exciting glimpses of great form.
We've thrown the side around a lot to give people a go at different roles, which has been fun.

But I'm hoping we can get some wins on the board early in the season proper just to settle the squad and give us the encouragement to keep building.

Danoz: Of course the lack of Warriors in MoOP and The Jet's thread is due to your players shuffling around, and when you settle down your players will have a better chance to claim a spot. Will the upcoming practice matches against the Dragons have a more settled line up?

FR: Yes and no. Our players, particularly those who are posting well, will be given chances in different, high profile roles. I'd like to think we can put a squad out there for the Dragons game that is close to a round 1 side with just a few positional changes depending on who does what in the last praccy game.
I am also looking at giving some players the chance to pick the team for me - as a way of mixing things up and giving players more ownership of the club.

Danoz: And what about other teams results? Any surprises for you? Is cooney the full forward to watch out for given his 13 goals, including a haul of 10?

FR: I thought cooney did very well as did GETSOMENUTS who did a great job for us in the SOO games. But I think we will focus more on our players and game early on. Getting the mix right for us is very important.

Danoz: So we have Hawks v Royals and Demons v Bears. Can I get your tips for the winners and for the pre-season cup?

FR: I think the Hawks and Bears will win their games with the Hawks too good in the decider.

Danoz: Thanks for your time FR, and good luck for the coming season.

And with that, we bid you adieu for a week, when we will have a new pre-season champion.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back