Morabito Contract Extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love him to get a look in this week, even as the sub again and show us a little more.

His efforts this year to play consistent wafl footy is bloody impressive and to break in to the team on his merits even more outstanding.

Such an obvious ploy at raising his market value for 2016

Yeah I'm not sure how to feel that its only the 1 year extension. You would assume both parties would have seen enough to look at a 2 year, or a 1+1...

Glad he has signed on regardless - lets get a big pre season into him and hopefully he can be a permanent fixture in the 22.. or 21... or 18

Such an obvious ploy at raising his market value for 2016

Catch 22 a bit. If he signed for 2-3 we'd be saying, "hmm what if the unthinkable happens.."

Club has stuck by him through some fairly tumultuous times, I would like to think he would repay the faith a bit come contract talks end-2015.

I was actually being sarcastic but couldn't find the :rolleyes: button on the phone.

A one year contract is pretty reasonable for both sides I would have thought, he's still only a few games back, feeling better with each run but he's not locked into our best 22 yet (regardless of predictions). A good, full season next year and I'd be expecting that 3 year contract with pay rise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wooo <3 Mora!

The 1 year is really a great deal for both parties. Freo don't have to risk big $ on a injury-prone player, and Mora gets a chance to prove he's still worth those big $.

I know he hasn't gotten on the park much this year, but after watching Patton go down on the weekend I'm glad we didn't rush him into playing for us week in & out.

Will be interesting to see where he fits into the side next year.So much youth with potential to come into the side. Players like Sylvia are going to have to do something pretty darn special in the off/pre-season to get into the 22.
I think Sylvia's best chance of breaking into the team would be to get his legs surgically extended and try out in the back line.

Having seen mora and duffy, and crozier look the goods this year in their cameo performances, I'm not not entirely sure where Sylvia fits in....

Poor guy. He said from coming over in those interviews he'd understand he needs to earn his spot. But he may not have really believed it wouldn't happen. He probly thought freo figured him for the missing link in '13.

Having seen mora and duffy, and crozier look the goods this year in their cameo performances, I'm not not entirely sure where Sylvia fits in....

Poor guy. He said from coming over in those interviews he'd understand he needs to earn his spot. But he may not have really believed it wouldn't happen. He probly thought freo figured him for the missing link in '13.

You make a great point about the emergence of guys like Hayden Crozier, Max Duffy and Anthony Morabito and how that affects Colin Sylvia's chances.

But the "poor guy" bit? Can't go there with you.

Sylvia has had every chance this year to make an impact with Freo and he pissed it away. It makes you wonder if it's some kind of self-sabotage.

Imagine playing for a bottom of the barrel team like the Dees, you already carry a reputation as an underachieving, petulant player who dances to the beat of his own drum. Along comes a Grand Finalist club on the rise ready to liberate you from a losing culture, dangling good money and a fresh start. You accept the offer and in your press conference, you say all the right things, about looking good in purple and wanting to work hard to earn your teammates' trust and respect.

But when you report to your new club, you're out of shape, then play so ordinary a pre-season you don't make the 22 for Round 1. Later, while playing state footy on the verge of a recall, you foolishly get reported and suspended, further delaying your debut. Once in the senior side, finally, you play an extraordinarily ordinary (oxymoron intended) six games and your coach then publicly confirms what the footy public has long thought: you're not a team player and you insist the team adjust to your style of play (as ambiguous as that is), rather than the other way around.

As another of our members posted after the recent Geelong game, Duffy and Croze did more in one half of that game than Sylvia has the entire season. Six games, one goal. So basically, Sylvia has kicked one more goal than all of us on this board, combined.

But if Freo indeed "figured him for the missing link in '13," actually they're right.

Sylvia has been the team's weak link because, through his own fault, on the rare occasion he earned senior selection, he's been missing.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for Sylvia. It is a fricken bitter pill to swallow to realise your ego has been built on a house of cards and that the only choice you have is to live in denial or to be humble and do the hard yards that nobody sees.

Col could still come out and be top 10 at the club next year.
He NOW has proof he needs to earn his spot, a good chance to have a real tough, good pre-season:Something he probably hasnt had many of.
He is a versatile player that could play in many positions, and although Crozier, Walters and Ballas will all be ahead of him, they'd be ahead of most other players on our list IMHO.
His versatility to me - gives reason to believe that there is still hope, not a lot, but there IS STILL HOPE.

On that Note - If Gumby has a good pre-season and isnt delisted, he'd be a strong upgrade on Clarke and allow Apeness further time to develop. Assuming he finds form

Poor guy? Isn't he making a mil over three years? Gets out of the Demons, gets some vitamin D. The guy came over expecting to get a game and win a flag. Not much time for him at all, and even if he was sleeping in the grandstand as payment here, I still wouldn't feel sorry for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back