Toast Morabito tracking thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't need the sub to be the difference because we've usually got the game won already by then.

But seriously, what are you suggesting exactly? That we should start returning 'underdone' players on the field and save a 'better' player for the sub just in case he manages to turn the game later?

Wouldn't that fitter, match-hardened player have more chance of turning the game if he was out on the field for its entirety?

I'm presuming a structure and effort driven coach like Lyon would prefer to put an emphasis on a whole team effort from the 1st bounce to win games rather than subscribing to the notion of a super-sub.
Only thing I would like to add regarding the sub is that I think it is better suited to a more senior player who can more easily read/adjust to the tempo of the game, for no other reason than they have experience behind them. IMO a young 5-10 gamer ( or player coming from a long stint in the WAFL) coming into the derby last week would really have struggled to make any impact, due to not knowing how to adjust to the pace and pressure.

Only thing I would like to add regarding the sub is that I think it is better suited to a more senior player who can more easily read/adjust to the tempo of the game, for no other reason than they have experience behind them. IMO a young 5-10 gamer ( or player coming from a long stint in the WAFL) coming into the derby last week would really have struggled to make any impact, due to not knowing how to adjust to the pace and pressure.

All good points. I would add that clubs, players and coaches don't want subs, but since we are stuck with them I cannot see anyone other than Mora being the sub.

Think about it. Clancee shouldn't be the sub because it would be the third time in a row and it would start to impact on his ability to play a full game(he would have been dropped for this game if he was not playing a full game).

I can't think of another player in our team who is not in good form, we don't have a Sheridan or crozier who do this role well and are still developing.

I want to see Mora play the full game, but he won't, he will be the sub IMO.

We don't need the sub to be the difference because we've usually got the game won already by then.

But seriously, what are you suggesting exactly? That we should start returning 'underdone' players on the field and save a 'better' player for the sub just in case he manages to turn the game later?

Wouldn't that fitter, match-hardened player have more chance of turning the game if he was out on the field for its entirety?

I'm presuming a structure and effort driven coach like Lyon would prefer to put an emphasis on a whole team effort from the 1st bounce to win games rather than subscribing to the notion of a super-sub.
No, my point is that an underdone player will never be picked in the twenty-two because of the way Lyon operates. Everyone in here seems to think Morabito is fragile and will crumble if he plays a full game. This idea of giving him a game as sub first literally only exists because people are paranoid he's going to injure himself again and for some inexplicable reason believe that him being the sub for a week will save him from that fate. That way of thinking is nonsense.

It's natural to want to be a little cautious, but he's most likely going to be playing a full game next week anyway. If he is the sub the only reason his chances of being injured are reduced is because he will have less minutes on the ground.

And when you start talking about "structure and effort driven" you just end up sounding like one of those media types. You are supposed to have an even contribution from the 21 who start. The sub should be a player who can make more impact in a shorter period of time.

No, my point is that an underdone player will never be picked in the twenty-two because of the way Lyon operates. Everyone in here seems to think Morabito is fragile and will crumble if he plays a full game. This idea of giving him a game as sub first literally only exists because people are paranoid he's going to injure himself again and for some inexplicable reason believe that him being the sub for a week will save him from that fate. That way of thinking is nonsense.

It's natural to want to be a little cautious, but he's most likely going to be playing a full game next week anyway. If he is the sub the only reason his chances of being injured are reduced is because he will have less minutes on the ground.

And when you start talking about "structure and effort driven" you just end up sounding like one of those media types. You are supposed to have an even contribution from the 21 who start. The sub should be a player who can make more impact in a shorter period of time.
More often than not a player breaking into the team is the sub. Mora will most likely be the sub. He's obviously fit enough to play the whole match or he wouldn't have been picked.

All good points. I would add that clubs, players and coaches don't want subs, but since we are stuck with them I cannot see anyone other than Mora being the sub.

Think about it. Clancee shouldn't be the sub because it would be the third time in a row and it would start to impact on his ability to play a full game(he would have been dropped for this game if he was not playing a full game).

I can't think of another player in our team who is not in good form, we don't have a Sheridan or crozier who do this role well and are still developing.

I want to see Mora play the full game, but he won't, he will be the sub IMO.
For mine, someone like Suban would be a perfect sub to replace Mora.

I hate the whole concept of the "Sub".
We should go back to the way it was and be done with it.
Back to a 19th man wearing a dressing gown on the bench? Who would often sit there all day without playing. It's a bit radical but the game may need to move towards this to get rid of the rolling maul we have now.

If I remember correctly, one of the arguments is that teams that suffered injury to a player early in the match is severely affected by the lack of rotation.

Actually, I would have preferred if there are more players available as the sub i.e. Have a tall, a ruck and a runner as subs and let the coach choose who to put in as the match situation required.

I wouldn't mind the sub if you could do it more than once. Have two subs, who you can sub in and out of games as needed, maybe four times max, and make it more tactical.

Edit. And any player can be subbed out once he's in the 22.

Back to a 19th man wearing a dressing gown on the bench? Who would often sit there all day without playing. It's a bit radical but the game may need to move towards this to get rid of the rolling maul we have now.
& the goal umpire wearing a lab coat so he easily spotted on the field (assuming the crowd doesn't throw streamers onto the field)
at least the "lab coats" have survived in junior footy

If I remember correctly, one of the arguments is that teams that suffered injury to a player early in the match is severely affected by the lack of rotation.

Actually, I would have preferred if there are more players available as the sub i.e. Have a tall, a ruck and a runner as subs and let the coach choose who to put in as the match situation required.
You can't do that. Won't anyone think of the dream teamers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am fine with the sub rule. The only variation I would look at is that if a player is knocked out then a subbed player can be un-subbed. The knocked out player will not be available for selection the following week.
That is actually a pretty good idea.

3 years in the gym will do that to you, dudes got boulders for shoulders, i want his babys

Morabito is the sub because he'd be gassed by the 12 minute mark of each quarter, plain and simple. No one thinks he's fragile and there's always someone that has to be the sub, who better than a bloke who hasn't played in 1350 odd days...

1_16MeFr14MW1949.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back