More goals in 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

Interchange cap will work against attacking team, but the AFL will think they aren't low enough making them lower and scoring harder. I expect the vicious cycle to continue.

Interchange cap will work against attacking team, but the AFL will think they aren't low enough making them lower and scoring harder. I expect the vicious cycle to continue.

How do you figure?

Scoring is never easier than when teams are tired and the game opens up

How do you figure?

Scoring is never easier than when teams are tired and the game opens up

When everyone tired numbers just move to the stoppages but they don't have the energy spread, the ball doesn't clear very far and the players close to the stoppage don't have to moves as far to the next contest.

When everyone tired numbers just move to the stoppages but they don't have the energy spread, the ball doesn't clear very far and the players close to the stoppage don't have to moves as far to the next contest.
Agreed. The tired-er the players become the more they try to 'lock-down' and slow down the tempo. It wont make it more "free flowing" like they want, players and teams will just become more defensive late in games

Games do tend to open up late I thought? No stats to back it up, just one of those things I always thought. If I'm correct I'd think the reduced interchanges may lead to more goals. Although the most likely outcome will be more blowouts because difference between young teams and match hardened older teams will become more apparent

Could be less goals because before it was constant running then bench spells to keep players fresh until a team ran out of puff.

Now it will be longer bench breaks which might mean some players run out of puff before their rotation finishes but on average most will stay fresher for longer.

The answer is we don't know.

What I'm certain off is almost no coach will allow their players to stop defending and two way running because they are tired and then accept losses. So if a team is to open the game up and take more risks then they'll want to be winning!

The other thing to watch for is how heavy clubs go on in ground rotations.

Will a club keep the same traditional positions for 1-2 rucks, 1-2 key forwards, maybe 1 small forward, and 3 defenders and otherwise rotate the other 15 players through 12 spots on the ground? ie. 1 forward and back pocket, both half back flankers, half forward flankers and the midfield being heavily interchangeable.

Or will teams still pick about 6 forwards and 6 defenders with some of those doing midfield stints and vice-versa with the mids.

The other thing to watch for is how heavy clubs go on in ground rotations.

Will a club keep the same traditional positions for 1-2 rucks, 1-2 key forwards, maybe 1 small forward, and 3 defenders and otherwise rotate the other 15 players through 12 spots on the ground? ie. 1 forward and back pocket, both half back flankers, half forward flankers and the midfield being heavily interchangeable.

Or will teams still pick about 6 forwards and 6 defenders with some of those doing midfield stints and vice-versa with the mids.

Good question.

As i said before, the trick is to have every midfielder and ruckman on the list skilled enough to become dangerous forwards or great stopping defenders. Versaility might be the way to the future...what do ya reckon Sheeds????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back