More "governance" issues for Essendon - breaching rookie rules allegations

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers under investigation for 'trialling' players
The Bombers lodged a list of unlisted players it had invited to train with the club with the AFL on Tuesday, however the league is looking into whether the club had players train in the few days before filing that paperwork.

The league is also looking into allegations that the Bombers conducted athletic tests on a large group of players – including Jayden Hunter, ultimately drafted by Melbourne – ahead of the national draft.

The AFL warned clubs in early November that they were not permitted to request, invite, allow, require or direct a player who had attended a combine or state screening session to be tested, evaluated or to do any form of training with either the club or an associated club. Clubs face a $10,000 fine for a first offence, and a $20,000 fine for subsequent offences.
"Yeah, but we only bent the rules by a few days."
No doubt this training is taking place off-site.
They figured no one would drive all the way to Tullamarine to check.

just be glad penalty for poor governance isn't actually a thing.

Your club wouldn't exist if it were

"Poor governance"? Is that PR speak for "cheating"?

Given the relative penalties handed down for drugs recently involving our respective clubs, I wouldn't be opening a can of worms in regards to ho deserves to exist right now or not, if I was you.

Given the relative penalties handed down for drugs recently involving our respective clubs, I wouldn't be opening a can of worms in regards to ho deserves to exist right now or not, if I was you.

Hmmmm..... good point.

Maybe you should be asking exactly what your board is up to? :D

what do you know about Eli Templeton?

This is interesting, because jesterwester mentioned a couple of days a go that "Eoin Cameron (abc radio presenter Abc 720 perth) that Darcy Cameron has been training with essendon. He is Darcy's uncle, so pretty good source. Was meant to be hush hush apparently." That last part suggests they knew they were breaking a rule.

This would contradict some pretty solid evidence – unless Darcy trained at Essendon for... two days...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"same old Bombeeers ...... always cheatingggg"

_46356418_crowd4.jpg

Delicious irony

I was looking forward to the typical Essendon return serve: "Carlton are cheats from over 10 years ago hurr hurr".

We paid for our "governance issues" (cheating) and have copped it from every angle, so now it feels good handing the mantle over to your disgraceful mob.

NB: Even though you already were cheats from when you breached the cap in your premiership year (1993).

I was looking forward to the typical Essendon return serve: "Carlton are cheats from over 10 years ago hurr hurr".

We paid for our "governance issues" (cheating) and have copped it from every angle, so now it feels good handing the mantle over to your disgraceful mob.

NB: Even though you already were cheats from when you breached the cap in your premiership year (1993).
Carlton have always taken pride in being cheats. We're only just starting to get to your rarified level :)

And you guys weren't in 87 and 95............biggest cheats the AFL has known

It's a bit unfair for a club to trial players to see which player is the most talented/top players out of the 12. Especially if other clubs are not allowed this insight.

I honestly think a club should be banned from the next rookie draft for it, and fined. I would think the same way if it was the Eagles that did it, it's just unfair unless every club can do it.

It's a bit unfair for a club to trial players to see which player is the most talented/top players out of the 12. Especially if other clubs are not allowed this insight.

I honestly think a club should be banned from the next rookie draft for it, and fined. I would think the same way if it was the Eagles that did it, it's just unfair unless every club can do it.
every club can do it. Just wear the fine.

But I do like the banning us from the draft penalty. Seems apt.

Good thing they don't know about the dozen blokes training with Hirdy in preparation for next years draft eh?

Jade why do you make a thread on the Essendon board slamming the way the club is currently being run and then blindlessly defend them here for yet another stupid and pointless lack of respect for the rules? And people wonder why opposition supporters have lost respect for the etc and their minions.

Jade why do you make a thread on the Essendon board slamming the way the club is currently being run and then blindlessly defend them here for yet another stupid and pointless lack of respect for the rules? And people wonder why opposition supporters have lost respect for the etc and their minions.

A) What is blindlessly?
B) If you meant blindly, he's been joining in the banter and sharing some jokes - has not exactly been blindly defending
C) Losing respect sort of implies losing interest in what Dons supporters have to say. I am seeing the opposite of that. The HTB regulars take joy in lampooning single posters and sifting through our board searching for more ammunition and then waving it around going "LOOK WHAT I'VE FOUND GUYS WE CAN LOSE SOME MORE RESPECT". In the words of Walkley Award winning Caroline Wilson "it's just not a good look"

The age is also reporting that a number of clubs have also broken the rules with regard to medical testing of players prior to the National Draft.

So I wonder - what is actually worse?

Essendon allowing a few blokes to trial with it's VFL team in pre-season training...or basically the entire competition having players medically tested prior to the National draft!

Started a thread with the intention of compiling a list of questions that need to be asked of the Chairman and board, during the most appropriate forum (the AGM). Nothing overly emotional, and all very reasonable and thought out questions - in a nutshell, 'ok guys, we've heard nothing but endless s**t for a year, can you tell us what actually happened'. Compared to the foaming, ridiculous crap spewed forth on the HTB it was downright bland. Surely you'd have greater reason to criticise me if I wasn't prepared to ask some simple questions of the club?

Calling that 'slamming the way the club is run' comes from the Caroline Wilson handbook of sensationalist crap - I did nothing of the sort. So its quite difficult for me to answer your question when the very premise that you based it on (that I'm doing one thing on one board and then something different on the other) is flawed.

As for blindly defending the club, think you'll find my responses are far more poking fun at the drones that simply want to attack Essendon (with or without grounds) than defending the club mindlessly. Seriously, had the ASADA drama never happened, and it turned out any club had filed paperwork a day late on players training, would very much be a 'nothing to see, move on' topic.

It's an excuse, a way for those of little intelligence, or full of bile - or both; to maintain the rage, so to speak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back