Morris into leadership group - Announced at AGM

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe they put him in the leadership group to help Dimma keep an eye training standards over the summer. Dimma can't be at every session and we all know Clarkson hasn't run a drill in over 3 years.

I don't know of any other player in the comp that continuously puts his body on the line for pursuit of the ball or protecting his teammates. Given he is not highly skilled, I believe he makes up for it with these other traits. Remember that it was only 12 months ago that we all loved him because of what he brought to the team.

Yes! Let's hope it's Morris from the list at the end of 2015. Why can't people see this guy is a dud? Other than his courage, can someone enlighten me regarding what his football qualities / credentials are? I think he's not super quick, not slow, a poor judge of a ball in flight. Gives away too many stupid frees, can't hit targets and is a very poor decision maker.
In my opinion, we are a better side with him in the team than when he's not.

In 2013, Morris was one of the best small defenders in the competition.
You only have to look at his stats in stopping small forwards and that paints the picture.
Only really lowered his colours once all season, against Ballantyne in Perth.
If he can get his shoulder right, he will play with even more aggression and confidence.
Look forward to him getting back to his 2013 form.

You only have to look at his stats in stopping small forwards and that paints the picture.
If he can get his shoulder right, he will play with even more aggression and confidence.
Pretty sure Morris was suspended for the Dockers game in Perth in 2013. Didn't get beaten much at all during the 2013 .....home and away season.....

Last edited:
I don't know of any other player in the comp that continuously puts his body on the line for pursuit of the ball or protecting his teammates. Given he is not highly skilled, I believe he makes up for it with his endeavour. It was only 12 months ago that we all loved him because of what he brought to the team.

Protecting teammates is a joke of a statement. This guy charges in and dives into packs and half the time it's the richmond player he takes out. No understanding of his over commitment. He goes to ground regularly leaving his player as an extra opposition player at the contest. Go back and watch this guy on video and you will see what a clutz he is. The sooner we upgrade and move him on the better we will progress.

For a playing list that it's own fans constantly critique for being too soft as well as lacking heart, a lot of these fans sure seem quick to want to remove the toughest, most tenacious player on the list.

Last edited:
For a playing list that it's own fans constantly critique for being too soft as well as lacking heart, a lot of these fans sure seem quick to want to remove the toughest, most tenacious player on the list.
And dumbest player!

Pretty sure Morris was suspended for the Dockers game in Perth in 2013. Didn't get beaten much at all during the 2013 .....home and away season.....

My mistake, you're right.
Instead, whoever was his direct opponent allowed him to kick 4 goals, and ultimately the sealer.

Morris played that game and we would have finished top 4 last year.

How people quickly forget.
Some were suggesting AA squad as that lock down defender including some in the media. It was obvious it was never going to happen ala Crowely as the tagger but to mentioned into calculations is still very good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Protecting teammates is a joke of a statement. This guy charges in and dives into packs and half the time it's the richmond player he takes out. No understanding of his over commitment. He goes to ground regularly leaving his player as an extra opposition player at the contest. Go back and watch this guy on video and you will see what a clutz he is. The sooner we upgrade and move him on the better we will progress.
All this crap you have written is a joke of a statement.

All this crap you have written is a joke of a statement.
It's an opinion I have formed by watching a fair number of replays. I suggest you do the same and pay attention to Morris in action. You may just change your opinion of him also. His over exuberance at the contest is a liability. He needs to be more measured in his decision making.

So can anyone at all confirm Morris's entry or otherwise in the leadership group ???

Guess that answers my question DrMike & @MrUnbelievable ,cheers

Some people are going to be very disappointed when Steve Morris is in our best 22 come round 1. I will be very happy to have a fit Morris in our starting line up and I am stoked he is in the leadership group for 2015.

I like how our leadership group is not only made up of some of our best players but we also have players in the leadership group purely for their leadership skills. Like how Nick Maxwell become captain of Collingwood, he wasn't their best player but he was their best leader.

Like how Nick Maxwell become captain of Collingwood, he wasn't their best player but he was their best leader.
Not the most gifted player by any stretch of the imagination but my god did Collingwood look a stronger defence with him in it. Even this season it become evident how much they missed him.

It's an opinion I have formed by watching a fair number of replays. I suggest you do the same and pay attention to Morris in action. You may just change your opinion of him also. His over exuberance at the contest is a liability. He needs to be more measured in his decision making.
I agree with the sentiment but will reserve judgement as to see if he cant change it around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back