Most consecutive finals appearances?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 15, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Does anyone know what the current record streak is for consecutive finals appearances is?

Looking at the Hawthorn list, coach, and recruiting department, combined with the number of father son draft picks coming up over the next 15 years, the Hawks look set for a long time. If they can keep Clarkson as coach I would reckon they won't miss a finals berth until 2021 or depending on injuries 2022. Will that be a record?

We got close during the 90's, but as mentioned above Hawthorn of the late 70's and 80's have the record (I think).

we coast made the finals every year of the 90s. so thats 10, hawks made it heaps of times a few decades ago though?

Hawthorn definetly got 13 from 82 to 94. Could have probably stretched it out to 20 too if their team during the mid 90s wasnt so bad.
:confused:

I reckon Carlton could have made finals the last 6 years if we weren't so bad.

Adelaide: 3 twice between 2001 and 2003 and 2005 and 2007
Brisbane Bears: 2 between 1995 and 1996
Brisbane Lions: 6 between 1999 and 2004
Carlton: 11 between 1978 and 1988
Collingwood: 15 between 1897 and 1911
Essendon: 7 between 1998 and 2004
Fitzroy: 9 between 1898 and 1906
Geelong: 8 between 1962 and 1969
Hawthorn: 13 between 1982 and 1994
Melbourne: 11 between 1954 and 1964
North Melbourne: 8 between 1993 and 2000
Port Adelaide: 5 between 2001 and 2005
Richmond: 9 between 1927 and 1935
St Kilda: 4 between 1970 and 1973
South Melbourne: 6 between 1909 and 1914
Sydney: 5 between 2003 and 2007
Western Bulldogs: 4 between 1997 and 2000
West Coast Eagles: 10 between 1990 and 1999

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know what the current record streak is for consecutive finals appearances is?

Looking at the Hawthorn list, coach, and recruiting department, combined with the number of father son draft picks coming up over the next 15 years, the Hawks look set for a long time. If they can keep Clarkson as coach I would reckon they won't miss a finals berth until 2021 or depending on injuries 2022. Will that be a record?
That's just a joke bud. Not a chance in hell.

Hahahahahah Gold!!!!! :thumbsu::D

I think bring up stats from an era that lacked electricity is a bit archaic.

I think we should just take stats from when the AFL was the AFL and not VFL.

Early VFL wasn't much, if any, better than the amateur leagues.

WOW. :eek:

A different record with the same title belongs, I believe, to North Melbourne (as they were known at the time) who played on every finals day - ie all four weeks - for five or so years in the seventies.

With the tie in '77 I think they played on 22 or 23 finals days in a row.

Can anyone confirm?

A different record with the same title belongs, I believe, to North Melbourne (as they were known at the time) who played on every finals day - ie all four weeks - for five or so years in the seventies.

With the tie in '77 I think they played on 22 or 23 finals days in a row.

Can anyone confirm?

Will be hard for Hawks to beat that record unless the AFL allows the Hawthorn Reserves in as the 17th team to play at carara. Their young guns are good but whether they would be good enough to reach the finals is debatable. Some Gold Coast priortiy zoning might help them pull it off.

Will be hard for Hawks to beat that record unless the AFL allows the Hawthorn Reserves in as the 17th team to play at carara. Their young guns are good but whether they would be good enough to reach the finals is debatable. Some Gold Coast priortiy zoning might help them pull it off.

Oh dear, are you serious?

Yeah, becasue they hold finals on more than one day a week now, the Hawks would need two teams(or maybe three, depending on scheduling in the first week of the finals,) to play a match on every day of the finals.

I think he made a mistake. I think he meant that North Melbourne played a finals game on the 22 weeks there were finals.

For the record North played in a final for 17 consecutive weeks when finals were played between 1974 and 1977. North Melbourne missed only one week of finals between 1974 and 1979 not including the 1979 GF.

I think bring up stats from an era that lacked electricity is a bit archaic.

I think we should just take stats from when the AFL was the AFL and not VFL.

Early VFL wasn't much, if any, better than the amateur leagues.

Tas, you are usually on the money mate but this is a pretty ordinary effort from you.

We have to disregard our history because we changed the name from VFL to AFL and included some franchises?

FFS mate, if nothing else Mike Brady's song would have to be 'Up There Ashley Sampi' for a start and that just don't sound right.

BTW, Hawthorn does hold the record for the most consecutive finals appearances at 13, and given that half the competition can make the finals each year now and it still hasn't been broken makes that an even more impressive achievement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back