Opinion Most Disappointing Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Gavin Excell? I remember him being the duck nuts for a while. Had a magnificent blond flowing mullet. My mate even had he's number on he's jumper.
Then I never really heard of him again. Not sure what happened to him. Was a bit young to remember.

Number1 draft pick,the word spud comes to mind, we also had another top 10 pick that year,he wasn't any good either can't even remember his name. Possibly our worst draft ever give the picks we had.

I had a quick google and turns out it was Stewart Devlin that we picked up at No 5 in that 1990 draft along with Hooper at No 1. Could have had Allen Jackovich twice over :) Pretty appalling draft that one for the Cats (Brendan Hehir at no 17, Byron Donnellan at 29 and Glen Thomlinson at 43. There were a couple of late picks also. Those players combined for a total of 21 games for the Cats (Hooper played 21 :)).

Having said all of that, if you look down the list, not many clubs did well as it was very early days with the draft (5th year), so not a lot of research was going into it at that stage.

Here's the link fyi -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_AFL_draft

What ever happened to biscuits ? (simon arnott) dislisted after playing almost every game that year gee bit hash.

What a mystery Arnott was. Ayres had it in for him I reckon. He was clearly one of our best performed midfielders in 1999 - one of few who could actually reliably find it 20+ times a match - yet he was dropped the year after and never brought back... despite us being s**t house in 2000.

What ever happened to biscuits ? (simon arnott) dislisted after playing almost every game that year gee bit hash.
Nah he played 22 games in 1999,but only 4 in 2000.I don't think he was injured that year.Just looks like Thompson [was that his first year as coach ?] didn't really want him.

What a mystery Arnott was. Ayres had it in for him I reckon. He was clearly one of our best performed midfielders in 1999 - one of few who could actually reliably find it 20+ times a match - yet he was dropped the year after and never brought back... despite us being s**t house in 2000.
Think you're blaming the wrong coach.Ayres loved him,Thompson didn't.

Nope. He was very disappointing because you could see that he had some talent but just not the desire.
I would suggest that the desire was there, just the body wasn't up to it at a critical point in his career and as a result he never looked comfortable at the senior level. The growth spurt that changed him from a medium to a tall also meant that he was more vulnerable to breaking down IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Ablett.

After he tore Glass to shreds in only his second game who didn't think we had an absolute superstar on the horizon. His 2007 was very good in the first half and then in the second half he struggled with injury. He showed some massive glimpses in the finals series of what could of been. What a waste of talent.

Nathan Ablett.

After he tore Glass to shreds in only his second game who didn't think we had an absolute superstar on the horizon. His 2007 was very good in the first half and then in the second half he struggled with injury. He showed some massive glimpses in the finals series of what could of been. What a waste of talent.

Agree, extremely disappointing from a fan's point of view. With the application and desire of his brother he'd be one of, if not the best key forward in the comp right now.

Frustrates the s**t out of me when opposition fans declare him a spud who only got games in 2007 because of his name. Contributed greatly to the way that forward line functioned as a unit.

Ranga Ediriwickrama
Not that I ever thought he'd make it as a player but imagine the fun the commentators would have had with that name!

Nathan Ablett.

Was going to post the same thing. I will always believe that Nathan Ablett would have become a superstar - even better than Hawkins. The two of them would have been one of the great forward duos, IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back