Most important thing you didnt know. Nose breathing!

Remove this Banner Ad

• Banned
Tarahumara running: 100 km every day!? Barefoot, with nose breathing
Tarahumara are native Indians living in Mexico. Running for very long distances is a part of their culture and daily life. For example, when hunting for wild animals, they simply run after them, until these animals, after hours of escape, drop from exhaustion. Many Tarahumara runners can run up to 100 km barefoot every day without problems with recovery and injuries. Even elite long distance runners cannot endure 50 km per day. What are the causes or the secrets of Tarahumara running? Some people believe that they can run better due to their simple Tarahumara running sandals or Tarahumara running style.

tarahumara-3.png
tarahumara-5.png
Here are some pictures of Tarahumara running. You can watch YouTube videos with Tarahumara running style. Then you can discover that nose breathing during running is nearly the norm and provides the key to understanding their legendary abilities. If you think that nose breathing is uncommon and these are not typical pictures of Tarahumara runners, search on YouTube for "Tarahumara running" and watch them running. You will discover that their breathing while running are based either on only nasal breathing (in and out), or, for some Tarahumara Mexicans, mainly nasal breathing, while their mouth can sometimes be partially open.

What are the biochemical advantages of Tarahumara running with nose breathing? Strictly nasal breathing during running (in and out) produces the following effects on gas composition in the lungs in comparison with mouth breathing:

- increased utilization of nasal NO (nitric oxide)

- decreased O2 levels (as for high altitude training)

- increased CO2 levels in the lungs.

In fact, due to higher CO2, strictly nasal breathing techniques for running at sea level are even better than high altitude training. Nose breathing is hard for the unfit or poorly oxygenated people with heavy breathing at rest, but most beneficial for training and long term improvements in physical fitness, long-term endurance and VO2max. In other words, it helps a lot for long distance, cross country and other contests.

Strictly nasal breathing techniques for running cause slower breathing and increased body-oxygen levels at rest later, after exercise and especially during the next night's sleep. Therefore, it is suggested here that Tarahumara running secret is based on slow breathing at rest with alveolar and arterial CO2 slightly above the norm (40 mm Hg). Nose breathing drastically reduces anaerobic respiration in cells and lactic acid production accelerating recovery after long runs. The Tarahumara running technique causes the following effect: the longer you run, the better you are able to run.

Barefoot running or Tarahumara running sandals provide additional advantages, while Tarahumara running form and Tarahumara running style could also make slight contributions. How? Barefoot running provides physical contact with Earth and, therefore, creates conditions for electrical grounding of the human body. Electrons from Earth act as antioxidants (antioxidants neutralize free radicals by donating them electrons). Medical studies indeed found that a grounded human body has reduced blood viscosity (G. Chevalier, S. T. Sinatra, J. L. Oschman, and R. M. Delany, “Grounding the human body reduces blood viscosity—a major factor in cardiovascular disease,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2012.) Obviously, this is an additional positive factor in O2 delivery since most athletes wear shoes that insulate them from Earth's electrical potential.

Bottom line for breathing techniques for running and Tarahumara running. If you breathe slower and less at rest (for automatic breathing), you have more oxygen in body cells while resting and much higher oxygen utilization rate. As a result of these factors, you are going to breathe less during exercise, have natural nasal breathing even at high intensity, and use inhaled oxygen much more effectively. Grounding the body (Earthing) is an important additional factor.

If you interested in extreme sports or super fitness, consider using one great device for cardio exercises. It will help you to improve your fitness, VO2max and develop optimum breathing techniques for running. Application of this device allows you to double your exercise efficiency. Numerous top and elite athletes use this great respiratory device during their running sessions. Find the details below, as your bonus content.

http://www.normalbreathing.com/s/breathing-techniques-for-running.php

• Banned
The Meathead’s Explanation
Working out creates acidity. Acidity creates fatigue. Oxidation neutralizes acidity. Nasal breathing is better at oxidation than mouth breathing. Therefore nasal breathing should in theory reduce fatigue and speed recovery better than mouth breathing.

The Enthusiast’s Explanation
One of the penalties of kinetically induced metabolic excitation (i.e. exercise) is H+ and lactate production (the accumulation of which being more marked in the case of intense physical activity).

The buildup of these two byproducts creates acidity which the body wants to balance by raising its pH back up to normal levels. Acidity also inhibits glycolysis, the process by which most energy is generated under anaerobic conditions. These factors contribute to the feeling of fatigue.

The path of least resistance for restoring pH is through hyperventilation, which by definition is when the body expels more carbon dioxide (CO2) than is produced. Hyperventilation typically occurs through the mouth (and not the nose).

However, a lower pH and higher concentration of CO2 foster more willing delivery of oxygen throughout the body, as per the Bohr effect. Oxidation by definition offsets reduction (i.e. acidity), and also converts lactate back into pyruvate, a building block of energy production.

By nasal breathing, CO2 is not dispelled as disparately and though airflow is constricted, limiting the rate at which oxygen can be assimilated into the bloodstream compared to mouth breathing, the oxygen that is inhaled is more efficiently distributed to fatigued tissues which should in theory improve athletic performance and recovery, with practice of the technique.

http://adamcap.com/2013/11/29/nose-knows-case-nasal-breathing-high-intensity-exercise/

• Banned
The Effects of Nitric Oxide
Nitric oxide is found in your nose, so when you breathe through your nose, you carry a small portion of the gas into your lungs. As explained by Patrick, nitric oxide plays a significant role in homeostasis, or the maintaining of balance within your body. Nitric oxide is also:

• A significant bronchodilator
  • An antibacterial agent that helps neutralize germs and bacteria
  • A vasodilator
How Breathing Plays into Sports
The way you breathe also affects your heart, and Patrick has been looking at the effects of breathing in athletics for the last two years. Typically, athletes who experience cardiac arrest or heart attack don't fit the model of a person with heart problems. Most are in the prime of health. However, according to Patrick, many athletes do breathe very heavily, for obvious reasons.

"The heavy breathing, which is causing a loss of carbon dioxide, is causing reduced blood flow to the heart," he explains. "The heart is experiencing less blood flow... [and] less delivery of oxygen. The heart, like any other muscle, also needs oxygen to perform properly. In the event that the heart is having insufficient blood flow and insufficient oxygen, it can alter the electrocardiogram readings, including and causing arrhythmia.

Arrhythmia is when the pulse gets out of control and gets too fast. If the pulse gets completely chaotic, the heart may stop, which will cut circulation off to the rest of the body, including the brain. So it's really important for all of us that our breathing is normal, not only elite athletes or those people who are involved with athletics."

Patrick is also investigating high-intensity training from the point of view of breath-holding (which I'll review in the next section).

"When you subject your body to a reduced partial pressure of oxygen, as is the case during high-intensity training… you're going into anaerobic metabolism, so you're working without air. Your oxygen partial pressure is slightly dropping.

What happens is that your spleen, which is an organ located just under your diaphragm (it's basically your blood bank), it contains about eight percent of the total red blood cell count. But if you're doing high-intensity exercise or involving breath holding during exercise, the arterial saturation of oxygen is dropping. The spleen will sense this drop of oxygen, so it will release more red blood cells into circulation.

Now, another factor is that your kidneys, during high-intensity exercise and during breath-hold exercise, become slightly hypoxic; there's reduced oxygen in the blood. In response to that, your kidneys will synthesize a hormone called EPO, which stimulates the maturation of red blood cells in your bone marrow.

So, the benefits of high-intensity exercise and also incorporating breath-holding into walking, for instance, will lead to improved oxygen-carrying capacity in red blood cells. We've heard of many athletes who have to do this unethically and illegally. But we should really tap into our body's natural resource, because our body has everything that we need, if we know how to guide it."

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/11/24/buteyko-breathing-method.aspx

• Banned
any practical recommendations from all of this tig?
Above is given medical and scientific reasons, together with anecdotal evidence of large gains in aerobic efficiency and improvement when breathing only through the nose during exercise.

There are videos, and even a 'paragraph for dummies' who haven't the concentration to read or research, as well as longer, more explanatory passages of text.

If by 'practical recommendations' you mean"tell me what to do"; Then, breathe through your nose during exercise, as you will perform aerobically better during the game, and recover quicker after it. There are other medical benefits as well that will improve the quality of your life.

why do they breathe through their nose though? it is generational, do they do it sub consciously or do they need to think to thunk about it to do it? you can't just tell me while i'm in the middle of a grand final to change my breathing all of a sudden...in times of stress the body will do what its best at

why do they breathe through their nose though? it is generational, do they do it sub consciously or do they need to think to thunk about it to do it? you can't just tell me while i'm in the middle of a grand final to change my breathing all of a sudden...in times of stress the body will do what its best at
Its all written above. Are you suggesting I re post it in written form for you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i was on the phone and wasn't reading 100o words on that thing

*i was on the phone

*wasn't reading 100o words

*on that thing

You obviously have a deep interest in this thread...

I do like the special forces and Navey Seals etc Yoga style of breathing to rapidly drop the heart rate, breath in through the nose for about 5 sec, then expel air in 5 very short rapid hard breaths through the mouth (hyperventilation) then continue to expel as much from the lungs in one continuious go, repeat 5 -6 times. It works for me my HR monitor drops this way far better than anyother method i have tried.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back