Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Most Improved

West Coast Eagles;

Initially I was very skeptical of West Coast and also dismissive. My criticism was that they haven't taken big scalps, just bullied little teams. I was spewing s**t around and dismissing their legitimacy. I've made it a habit of watching West Coast the last few weeks, and revisiting their efforts from earlier in the year. What impresses me most about them after educating myself is their consistency. They are fairly consistent onfield and get the job done.

Kennedy is the best key forward in the competition, Priddis has consolidated his brownlow winning year. His ability to win contested possession and his strength at stoppages will make WC very formidable during finals. Darling has only added further strength to their impressive forward line now that he's returned. LeCras, Gaff, McGovern, will be in hot contention for AA with the way they're playing.

Notable mentions,

Western Bulldogs
St. Kilda
GWS
Collingwood
Melbourne

Biggest Disappointment

Essendon, Port Adelaide and North Melbourne have been equally embarrassing.

All expected to make finals, but ultimately Port Adelaide were expected to win the premiership this year while Essendon have been hammered emotionally by the ASADA charges and North Melbourne in my opinion were never any good to begin with, so I'll go with Port Adelaide.

Port Adelaide;

Very good list of players. Gray, Wingard, Wines, Hartlett, Trengove, etc they've got some elite ball users, great key position prospects and the highly fancied premiership recruit Paddy Ryder (FOR PEANUTS TOO MIGHT I ADD!!).

It was all coming together for Port Adelaide, three points away from the grand final last year and even started this season emphatically by kicking 8 goals to 1 in the first during their round 4 match against Hawthorn. Up until that point they were 1-2, their two losses coming against a highly fancied Fremantle and Sydney, their win? Against North Melbourne in one of the best games of the year. Port Adelaide were 2-2 after playing North, Fremantle, Sydney and Hawthorn. They were on their way.

In round 5 they defeated the much improved Adelaide where they were in cruise control after a strong first quarter. Round 6 Port lost at home to West Coast in a slugfest, knowing West Coast's improvement in hindsight, Port wouldn't be too distressed at that point. 3-3 against six fantastic teams.

Then bottom of the barrel Brisbane bashed the s**t out of them in round 7. Brisbane kicked 3 goals in 3 minutes to crush Port Adelaide's confidence. Although it was a convincing 37 point Brisbane victory, Port were equal in inside 50s, 53-53. They won the hitouts 62-51, marks inside 50 went their way 14-9, uncontested possession 194-175, even contested possession 146-142. Disposal efficiency was tight, disposals were close, pressure inside 50 was good, 20-8 tackles in Port's favour inside the forward 50.

Shooting accuracy let Port down, but this was the game where Brisbane blocked off Port's corridor run. Teams all noticed, although every club felt Port's fitness was fantastic (it was) it was in particular their ability to play on at almost every chance in the corridor to create incredible pressure inside 50. If Schulz, Butcher and Ryder couldn't mark it, Matty White, Monfries, Wingard, Gray, Boak were all creating great pressure to score. Brisbane cut that play off for the entire game, Port required to use the wings more, they needed to switch play, their ball movement was slowed down dramatically. They looked slow.

Brisbane figured them out.

The next week, Port scored a measly 43 points against a vengeful Richmond at home and were convincingly defeated again. The next week Port regained their form against Melbourne in a brief 12 minute period, where Melbourne's structures collapsed, Port regained control of the corridor, played on at all times with their infectious style and scored 38 points in 12 minutes. You take away that time and they would have only beaten Melbourne 77-54, a grinding win at best.

Their win against the Dogs proved Port to be a confidence team, cut them at the knees and they'll struggle, give them some room and they'll run rampant. In a tight arm wrestle, Port overcame the Dogs in the final term and won their most impressive game since the Hawthorn clash in round 4. That was it for Port, the next few weeks resulted in losses to Geelong, Carlton and Sydney, in a very disappointing clash, the Swans lost Richards and Rampe during the contest and Franklin/Tippett didn't play to begin with.

Port is easily the most disappointing. They've got a top 4 list in my opinion, their game plan was exposed and ever since, they've had no response. Port will be back in my opinion, but no doubt one day in the years to pass, Port supporters will question, 'what happened to season 2015?'

Gold Coast and Brisbane have been more disappointing than Port IMO.
Completley agree. Both teams looked good in the last half of last year and this year just pathetic. Good win by the suns last night and the lions have showed inprovement in the last two games but are still far from it.

Reckon Gold Coast will rise a bit now that GAJ is back, makes the team look much better.

Pies have been a bit of a surprise so far imo, thought they would be down about where Geelong is now. Have competed quite well with Hawks and Freo too.

Port and Norf for disappointing.

Gold Coast and Brisbane have been more disappointing than Port IMO.

Gold Coast and Brisbane have been hit hard by injuries, Port haven't. They're currently missing Polec, White and that's it.

Essendon are an obvious candidate for biggest disappointment. They're ahead of Melbourne merely on percentage, at the start of the year if you had have said that Essendon would be ahead by 1.6% after round 14 they probably would have assumed that the side would have been ravaged by injury Gold Coast side. Instead, they've been generally poor.

+1 for WC and Port. I had us nowhere near the top 4 with a full squad let alone without our FB and CHB for the whole season and CHF for half of it. Obviously we're only 13 rounds in so we're not guaranteed to stay where we are but 10-3 is a great result to date. The only concern is how easily Fremantle beat us. Hopefully we've learned form that and improved.

I like many others had Port as a genuine flag contender. Narrowly missed the top 4 last year then spanked Richmond, ran over Freo in Perth and nearly knocked off Hawthorn at the MCG in September. 5-8 and looking unlikely to even make the 8 is a pretty sharp fall. I expected more from Gold Coast and Brisbane but they've been hit pretty hard by injuries, and I don't rate either as a flag threat anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast have been the most disappointing by a mile, despite their win this weekend.

Surely the Pies are just as big a surprise and improver as West Coast. Nobody rated them as a finals side coming into the season, and they could easily be 11-2 at this point, as three loses to Richmond (5 points), Fremantle (7 points) and Hawthorn (10 points) were all quite close and "winnable". Only real poor performances have come against Adelaide (27-point loss) in Round 2 and Geelong (41-point loss) in Round 6, and even then it was only a poor first half in each game that cost them (won the second half in both games - 7.5 to 5.7 against Adelaide, 6.5 to 4.6 against Geelong).

+1 for WC and Port. I had us nowhere near the top 4 with a full squad let alone without our FB and CHB for the whole season and CHF for half of it.

Obviously you've performed greatly above expectations, but was Mitch Brown really rated as Best 22 with everyone fit? I know he's been fairly regular the last couple of seasons (38 of 44 games played), but I also would have thought with McGovern's performances down back over the last five rounds last year, he'd have been ahead of Brown coming into the season, with McKenzie (if fit) and Schofield filling the other tall defensive spots, and Kennedy, Darling (when fit) and Lycett (was expected to do much more this year) filling the tall roles up forward. Just got the impression that the only reason Brown was playing in Round 1 (where he got injured) was because McKenzie wasn't. I saw him as the depth replacement, not McGovern.

p
Surely the Pies are just as big a surprise and improver as West Coast. Nobody rated them as a finals side coming into the season, and they could easily be 11-2 at this point, as three loses to Richmond (5 points), Fremantle (7 points) and Hawthorn (10 points) were all quite close and "winnable". Only real poor performances have come against Adelaide (27-point loss) in Round 2 and Geelong (41-point loss) in Round 6, and even then it was only a poor first half in each game that cost them (won the second half in both games - 7.5 to 5.7 against Adelaide, 6.5 to 4.6 against Geelong).

Obviously you've performed greatly above expectations, but was Mitch Brown really rated as Best 22 with everyone fit? I know he's been fairly regular the last couple of seasons (38 of 44 games played), but I also would have thought with McGovern's performances down back over the last five rounds last year, he'd have been ahead of Brown coming into the season, with McKenzie (if fit) and Schofield filling the other tall defensive spots, and Kennedy, Darling (when fit) and Lycett (was expected to do much more this year) filling the tall roles up forward. Just got the impression that the only reason Brown was playing in Round 1 (where he got injured) was because McKenzie wasn't. I saw him as the depth replacement, not McGovern.
pies were around the same part of the later same time last year.

West Coast by a mile - they could play off in the GF no problem

What i cant get over is the improvement in some of their players - Hill - what did Chris Grant say about him when he was at the Bulldogs

Sheppard i thought was a dud ( taken in preference to Jetta in the draft) his improvement has been amazing

Priddis even half their supporters thought he was no good - slow - couldnt kick over a jam tin etc - now hes a gun

As to the most dissappointing - Nth Melb - over the last 5 years or so - how many dead set insipid performances have they put in - 25 - 30 perhaps - at least Port go down swinging - and Polec - even though just one player - he is by far their most important player- hes not Ablett - but they will improve a hell of alot when hes back

i'm gonna say collingwood are the biggest surprise. west coast were expected to be in that rabble of about 8 teams fighting for 5-8. but collingwood were expected to totally bottom out. and buckley's collingwood had regressed every year since MM left and now with a whole bunch of young kids has got them playing really hard and tough brand of football (kind of like the bulldogs but with more 'a-graders').

They should have beaten freo and hawthorn in consecutive weeks and they still have ben reid, levi greenwood, brodie grundy, goldsack and seedsman to return as well as this scharenberg kid who's supposed to be a gun of the highest order. never in my wildest nightmares could i imagine collingwood being as good as they are so quickly...

p

pies were around the same part of the later same time last year.

Yeah, and then the injury toll became too much. We're also a very young squad too, that has gotten even younger this year.

BigFooty "wisdom" refused to acknowledge this though, and just assumed that our coach couldn't coach and our players got "found out" and were crap, and we lost a major star over the off-season too, so any performance above where people thought we should be should then be rated as a surprise.

Personally, I thought we'd be in that 7th-10th range, similar to last year, accounting for less injuries, some general improvement but also more youth, even I'm surprised to see us pushing for a top 4 spot at the moment.

Brown was keeping Schofield out of the team last season with McGovern playing up forward, plus we played three rucks. I reckon we would've stuck with the Mackenzie/Brown combination and played Kennedy, Darling and McGovern up forward with the resting ruck if it weren't for the injuries, which really have been a blessing in disguise. Sheppard and Wellingham have also benefited, they're playing remarkable well against bigger opponents.

Yeah, and then the injury toll became too much. We're also a very young squad too, that has gotten even younger this year.

BigFooty "wisdom" refused to acknowledge this though, and just assumed that our coach couldn't coach and our players got "found out" and were crap, and we lost a major star over the off-season too, so any performance above where people thought we should be should then be rated as a surprise.

Personally, I thought we'd be in that 7th-10th range, similar to last year, accounting for less injuries, some general improvement but also more youth, even I'm surprised to see us pushing for a top 4 spot at the moment.
just realised my english went out the window in that post.

McGovern would've played as a 3rd key forward or 3rd key defender if everyone was fit.

Schofield probably would've played WAFL.

Pies are underdogs vs Port this week in the betting agencies. Lose that game and then WC the following week they will be out of the 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back