Opinion Most Improved for Season 2012/2013

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
We know you don't like McLean, but give credit where it's due.

If you can't see that McLean improved enormously in 2012 then quite simply you've been watching the wrong channel.

I don't dislike Mclean, I rate him as a bloke and clubmen, I spoke to his mum in the rooms after a game this year and she told me that he never once complained to anyone about being in the VFL when he was getting 35 touches a game, that he loves his footy and will play it until he is 50 and can't walk.

Yes I was disapointed that he wasn't a gun straight away like most people were, but that doesn't mean I wasn't happy to see him play well in the second half of this year and screaming his name when he kicked that goal against richmond.

But to say he was most improved does not make sense. Armfield took his game to another level this year, thats not to say he was better than mclean, but he improved more.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
Go read the OP again.

Who does everyone think was out most improved player for this season, and who do you predict to be our most improved next?

Well I don't quite understand what "out most improved player for this season" means.

But in terms of player improvment, was mclean:

-Our best player for the second half of the season? Most likely

-Our most improved player? No

Who does everyone think was out most improved player for this season, and who do you predict to be our most improved next?

Well I don't quite understand what "out most improved player for this season" means.

But in terms of player improvment, was mclean:

-Our best player for the second half of the season? Most likely

-Our most improved player? No
Typos do make things a little more difficult to understand - but not impossible. What part of "our most improved player for this season" suggests "which player is playing the best footy of his career"?

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
So its not the most improved player, its the most improved during the season of 2012? Or the most improved from 2011 to 2012?

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
Besides the point a bit, but when you say, who was playing the best footy of their career? Besides army and the debutants was there anyone on our list that played their best footy?

Pretty much no one! And besides judd and Scotland pretty much everyone else on the list is capable of doing just that.

We will make top 4

Besides the point a bit, but when you say, who was playing the best footy of their career? Besides army and the debutants was there anyone on our list that played their best footy?

Pretty much no one! And besides judd and Scotland pretty much everyone else on the list is capable of doing just that.

We will make top 4
With optimism like that you can talk as much s**t as you like. :thumbsu:

Beer n Skittles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Rampage
So did everyone here think armfield was useless in 2011? I thought his second half of the year was really good.

#BeNavy

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
2012: Def McLean, didn't think he was capable of playing the footy he did at the end of the year. Armfield not far behind.

2013: Have a feeling Yazza will take that next step. Think he could thrive under Mick. I'd love to say Gibbs, but I said he would be our most improved this year and he was awful. For us to take that next step, Gibbs needs to take his game to another level.

Big Sim

Cancelled
Apr 12, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Carlton
Carrots was our most improved player in 2102 IMO because he went from B Grade to A Grade, which is a mighty jump. Went from being a ball magnet with a good work rate but dodgy disposal to being a ball magnet who took out the opposition's most important player each week and barely missed a target. Agree that Brock and Army also were big improvers.

As for 2013, I agree with Sin about Hendo. His best games last year were superb, not just destroying opponents but running off them and launching 80m plays. Is hitting his peak years and has real upside.

Who I most want to improve most this year: Lucas.

Carrots was our most improved player in 2102 IMO because he went from B Grade to A Grade, which is a mighty jump. Went from being a ball magnet with a good work rate but dodgy disposal to being a ball magnet who took out the opposition's most important player each week and barely missed a target. Agree that Brock and Army also were big improvers.

As for 2013, I agree with Sin about Hendo. His best games last year were superb, not just destroying opponents but running off them and launching 80m plays. Is hitting his peak years and has real upside.

:thumbsu:

Chasing 17

Cancelled
Nov 20, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Mclean, Tuohy and Armfeild for me. Hammer had his moments too...

Hendo, Casboult and Watson hopefully in 2013. I dunno about Lucas, wouldn't be surprised if Bell gets more games.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Armfield, McLean, Casboult, McInness and Watson improved quite a bit with a lot of other youngsters also taking steps forward like McCarthy and Mitchell.

There should be a lot of players looking to improve their games next year. Third and Second year players should be looking to go forward. Bootsma, Buckley, Dale, Bell, McCarthy, Mitchell and O'Keeffe are young players who I think will be better but still not play a lot of senior football and their improvements will be noted by things such how often they are in the best in the VFL and their performances in that grade as well as how often they appear as emergancies and I would expect to see them perhaps appear a few times in the AFL this season.

Casboult and Watson IMO have a massive oppertunity to stand up. They are at a stage in their careers where they are ready to become consistant AFL players. IMO our team is counting on these two to step up and I believe they will, particularly under the new coach. If they do step up then we will be considerably better.

Gibbs is an obvious one. Contrary to what people on here believe, Ratten did give him a hell of a lot of oppertunities to perform on the ball. It just appears he wasn't given oppertunities because he hardly got his hands on it and was rarely noticed when he played onball. I don't think he can play that position but I would like to see him take his game to a next level as a wingman/half back/half forward in a similar role and way to how Goddard played with St. Kilda.

Murphy is one that people might not see as one to improve but IMO he's capable of being an all Australian onballer and possibly in the top 5 players in the league and so far in his career he hasn't achieved this quite yet.

Garlett has to improve his game. Sloppy ball handling and poor kicking and with extra pressure on his position he's in big trouble. No reason he can't improve, if he improves his skills he will improve his all round game.

Kreuzer should improve. Got to the stage this year where he couldn't run out of sight on a dark night or take a mark. Next year would be good to see him fit, covering more ground, getting more uncontested footy and taking more marks and getting a lot more footy than he has been. Would be good to see him kicking around 15-20 goals in a season as well. Has performed no where near his potential and should improve.

Lucas needs to improve or won't get a game. Would be good to see a bit more intensity and desperation. Should improve and live up to his potential to play the game.

Mitch Robinson, an always improving player, still has room for improvement and finding consistancy to his game. Still very up and down from week to week. Expecting less quiet games and more better games from him. Could be a kind of break out year for him.

Touhy, lots of ability and is a good build for the game, has a good number of AFL games to his belt. Was a solid performer in defence but I feel he might have to step up and perform better if every one is fit next year and we look to structure our team a bit taller in defence which I think we will. Would like to see him step up and play other positions, perhaps like on the ball. Would not suprise me if he misses out on games in 2013 but is worked on as a rover in the VFL and comes back this type of player. Has all the attributes to be good in other positions like onball.

Yarran is a guy who I recon will improve by taking on more high profile opponants and improve by beating them by running them off their legs offensively and finding more consistancy in his game. I can see him still playing defence but in a different role and he doing it very well.

Improvement to the rest of the list should come from a better preseason and a better run with injury.

I agree along with you and Thy.

It's so frustrating seeing the talent this kid has got through the week, just to see what seems to be another player front up on the weekend.
Some of his VFL games this year were bad beyond words. That's just not Lucas.

Fingers crossed that MM will extract the best of Lucas and put it on the ground on game-day.

BluesBagger

Senior List
Jul 28, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
How about a slightly different question.

Who do you think we need to improve to be in contention?

Personally I think Watson needs to lift and secure FB. He showed some decent signs in body on body contest but was pretty poor when his forward went on the lead.

Also it would be really useful if one of our young forwards became a real power forward of the comp kicking 50-60 goals. Right now I think the most likely candidate is Levi but I wouldn't be surprised if Hammer fills that spot.

Back