• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

MAAAATTDAAAAMON

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2010
NSW
AFL Club
Essendon
Reading through best 22s, most people are pretty safe and pick sides that mirror last year's 22.

Pick a player who played less than 8 games last year who you to break into the 22, ignoring Cooney, Gwilt and Giles. Gleeson played 9 and would probably be the obvious choice if he was in criteria.

Nick O'Brien
Jason Ashby
Tayte Pears
Alex Browne
Aries Steinberg
Shaun McKernan
Elliot Kavanagh
Jayden Leverde
Kyle Langford
Orazio Fantasia
Will Hams
Kurt Aylett
Shaun Edwards
Lachlan Dalgleish
Jake Long
Conor McKenna

I'll say:
Most likely- Fantasia
2. Ashby
3. Dalgleish

Last edited:

I'm ignoring the rules and going for Gleeson, as i'm not sure why 8 games is the criteria.

Surely we just assume who is next in line, not make random guidelines about it.

Fair enough. The only reason I did that was because I thought everyone would say Gleeson. I think most of us agree he is next in line, so would be more interested to see who else people think could make the next step.

If he wasn't so thin I'd say Langford. Fills a need and is a point of difference as that 3rd tall forward. The sooner we get him up and about the sooner we'll be pushing up the ladder. Probably O'Brien/Fantasia based on readiness.

The future is now, enter Laverde.
IMG_4814DesktopResolution_zpsd96969ab.jpg

image by soulnet @BB

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a number of 2-4 year players who have shown a bit and have some talent. The question is can they translate it to best 22 AFL.

I find it hard to see how any of the half back flankers can dislodge Dempsey, Hibberd and Baguley for 3 back spots with Winderlich swinging back there also unless there are injuries.

There may be a position forward so maybe someone like Fantasia. There's always a spot in the midfield so maybe someone like Browne with his versatility.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to guys like Edwards and Dalgleish who have pace and skill but need a more rounded game.

Another issue for this group is the return of Kommer who may get a gig in front of most and I reckon J Merrett will be ready for a full season of best 22. They'll need to put there hand up early and start playing very well.

We have a number of 2-4 year players who have shown a bit and have some talent. The question is can they translate it to best 22 AFL.

I find it hard to see how any of the half back flankers can dislodge Dempsey, Hibberd and Baguley for 3 back spots with Winderlich swinging back there also unless there are injuries.

There may be a position forward so maybe someone like Fantasia. There's always a spot in the midfield so maybe someone like Browne with his versatility.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to guys like Edwards and Dalgleish who have pace and skill but need a more rounded game.

Another issue for this group is the return of Kommer who may get a gig in front of most and I reckon J Merrett will be ready for a full season of best 22. They'll need to put there hand up early and start playing very well.

Has yaco55 hijacked your account? :p

He has been banging on about this for months and months on end now

As much as I would love to see someone like Kav or even Will Hams come in, who do they displace from our obvious best 22?

After saying that, Browne and Ashby are two guys who could play in a number of positions and do well.

Dalgleish is another who could potentially break out in 2015 as a super sub, Trav Colyer style

As much as I would love to see someone like Kav or even Will Hams come in, who do they displace from our obvious best 22?

After saying that, Browne and Ashby are two guys who could play in a number of positions and do well.

Dalgleish is another who could potentially break out in 2015 as a super sub, Trav Colyer style

I definitely like your pick of Dalgelish, I've got a massive crush on him and I think the type of players he could displace (Colyer, Gleeson etc) will be a lot easier to crack then some of the others.

With that said the last first years we've had at least one draft pick come straight into the 22 (e.g. Heppell, Kommer, Merrett, Ambrose) so I'm going to hope the tradition continues and go with Laverde

I definitely like your pick of Dalgelish, I've got a massive crush on him and I think the type of players he could displace (Colyer, Gleeson etc) will be a lot easier to crack then some of the others.

With that said the last first years we've had at least one draft pick come straight into the 22 (e.g. Heppell, Kommer, Merrett, Ambrose) so I'm going to hope the tradition continues and go with Laverde

Agree on the Laverde call. From a positional point of view, he would be competing with Fantasia as that small forward/midfielder role, whilst currently filled by the older guys like Chapman, Winderlich, even Cooney/Stanton on the flanks that may break down in periods over the year.

The future is now, enter Laverde.
IMG_4814DesktopResolution_zpsd96969ab.jpg

image by soulnet @BB
Hep D just giving him a few pointers on how to win the rising star next year. I voted for Laverde because he just seems like he could add something to the team straight away with his pace, height, skills and X-factor. He looks solidly built enough in this photo to play early next year hopefully.

1. Fantasia - Winderlich/Chapman won't play close to every game. There is going to be opportunities for him and that will give him a good chance to break into our forward line as a genuine crumbing type which we have lacked for a long time. Particularly with Kommer starting from behind again in terms of fitness/training.
2. Dalgleish - I really rated this guy 2 years ago. Last year he never got going. Our defense is pretty settled but Hibberd/Dempsey are fairly high injury risk players and odds are games will be available at some point. He is mature and ready to go. Could potentially be our next rebounding HBF - it sounds like he's been going well in training so far too.

If i had more options i would have rated the following prospects:
3. Laverde - Talented, reportedly training really well and is quite physically mature for his age. Also we don't have a lot of depth in our talls up forward so - basically an injury to any of Daniher, Carlisle or Ambrose and there's a good chance he could get a role plus its not inconceivable that he could just pass Ambrose (i don't believe it will happen for the record).
4. Hams, Ashby and Mckernan - They all have some players ahead of them but i believe through a mixture of the roles they play and what they have shown so far that there is a possibility for them to secure a spot. Will definitely need players ahead of them to be unavailable though.
5. Everyone else - not too likely to secure best 22 spot imo - at least not in 2015.

The optimism of Laverde is very exciting. However I'm afraid the Essendon fan base already have too big of expectations on him though. We should remember that 1st years like Heppell's and Z.Merrett's aren't the norm. But who knows, I guess we can dream, just hope the kids can handle the pressure.

Last edited:
So many inside mids to compete with.

He's a different beast to our inside mids. Watson, Heppell, Myers are all the classy move through the contest types, Hams is the bread and butter body on body Sewell type mid that we've been missing. Needs some more weight on him, but for mine brings a different element and there is a spot for him if he can take it.

reckon that is harsh on colyer. He is a lock in for me

Laverde probably most physically ready of this years batch. Ashby and maybe Edwards if certain players go down (ie. Dempsey or Baguley types).

Would love J.Long to get first crack at the defensive small forward role and go boom in season one just like his cousin Cyril did in '07 (wishing for the very, very highly unlikely!)

Back