Opinion Most memorable sporting moments (Non AFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
With yesterday being the 10th anniversary of the Socceroos win over Uruguay I thought it might be a good idea to see what peoples most memorable non AFL sporting moments are.

Maybe say a top 5 that you've witnessed either live or live on TV.

1. Had to be the Socceroos win. All the history, the heartache and the way they did it against the opponent that they did...... if you weren't proud to be an Aussie that night you never would be.

2. Sturts 2002 Flag. A rampant Centrals side at the beginning of their dominance and we without a flag in 26 years, Brilliant.

3. Amazing Adelaide Test. After England make 550 and are 1 down going into the final day...... Enter SK Warne. Was lucky enough to be there that day.

4. 4x100 Freestyle Relay at the Sydney games. USA undefeated, Gary Hall Jr mouthing off and we have middle distance man Thorpe in the final leg. Smashed them like guitars

5. Mark Webbers first F1 win. The pure emotion of his voice, brought tears to my eyes as a massive fan.

Unlucky - Steven Bradbury, Lowndes/Whincup 2006 Bathurst, 1999 Cricket World Cup vs South Africa, Kerryn McCan marathon at the Melbourne Comm Games.

the Uruguay game is just shaded by the japan world cup win IMO. that last 10 mins was the most exciting and exhilarating sports moments (barring 97 and 98 gf's) I've ever seen

the Adelaide test, I was working in the city and left work to watch the final session. gates were opened up, would have been maybe 15k when I arrived, was full by the time mr cricket hit the winning runs

The Japan game was intense, I guess I didn't put it in because IMO it wasn't unexpected. We dominated the game and were very unlucky to be down a goal.

Guus had us very fit and Japan wilted from abouy 60 minutes on. Still a massive moment and the arrival of Super Tim.

Wouldn't have a soccer game in my top 100..

#1 for me would be winning the America's Cup. First time it had ever been won by a non-US nation.
I reckon if I was alive for it, it'd be right at the pointy end.

1. WCQ 2005. Craig Foster in the comm. box just losing his s**t when Aloisi scored will stay with me forever.
  2. Euro 2004 final. My first real sporting memory. Thousands of Greeks going off their nut was amazing.
  3. 2014 FA Cup Final. Arsenal finally breaking the trophy drought.
  4. 2015 SANFL GF. Westies finally breaking their drought.
  5. Amazing Adelaide. Was at the Robbie Williams concert at AAMI that night. Had dinner at West Lakes food court, and there was a TV in the AMart. I'd guess 100 people were crowded around watching when Hussey hit the winning runs. The cheer was fantastic.
  6. 2015 FA Cup Final.
One day I'll be able to add a Crows Premiership to the list.

A few moments have stuck with me for various reasons. Some big, some small.

Andrew Lloyd (middle distance runner) won a 5000m gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in 1990. Came from now here and won it on the line.

Kieran Perkins 1500m win in 1996 from lane 8.

Sturt won a minor round game in 1988 at Prospect Oval. We were rubbish at the time whereas North Adelaide were coming off the 1987 premiership and had the Jarman brothers running amok. All my mates were North Adelaide fans and they always gave me heaps. We came from 6 goals down in the last quarter to win by 3 points. Ian Willmott took a hanger in the goal square, played on and blasted it about 6 houses back to put us in front.

Liverpool's Champions League Final win in Istanbul, coming from 3-0 at half time was pretty amazing. Hasn't been a lot to get excited about since

The consecutive games that Australia and South African played against each other in the 1999 cricket World Cup were amazing. The first one was the Herschelle Gibbs catch game. Steve Waugh's hundred. The second one Warne spun us back into it with 4 wickets before the Fleming vs Klusener finale. A finale Fleming pads out to about 45 minutes at sportsman's nights.

Greg Norman's meltdown at the 1996 US Masters was like watching a car crash in slow motion. I got up early and watched it, missed the start of school. Don't think I ended up going at all I was so emotionally drained by the end of it! Lead by 6 shots going into the last round, lost to Faldo by 5...

Cathy Freeman's win in 2000 was pretty incredible too. So much pressure on her. Delivered.

1. Miracle on Ice game v. USSR
2. Browns v. Pittspuke 1986 OT home win---thought Municipal Stadium would implode
3. Browns v. Jets 1986 Double OT home playoff win--first playoff game in any sport I attended
4. Indians v. Red Sox 1995 playoff opener---never thought I would live to see the Tribe make the playoffs
5. Rangers Stanley Cup in 1994 (hockey team I follow since Cleveland only briefly had NHL team growing up)

1. Miracle on Ice game v. USSR
2. Browns v. Pittspuke 1986 OT home win---thought Municipal Stadium would implode
3. Browns v. Jets 1986 Double OT home playoff win--first playoff game in any sport I attended
4. Indians v. Red Sox 1995 playoff opener---never thought I would live to see the Tribe make the playoffs
5. Rangers Stanley Cup in 1994 (hockey team I follow since Cleveland only briefly had NHL team growing up)

Rangers rock!

Kieran Perkins 1500m win in 1996 from lane 8.
Somewhat soured for me after I heard how/why this happened (allegedly).

Allegedly, he performed badly in the qualifying race because he had a bag of blood taken out of his body in the day or two leading up to the race. This bag of blood was then transfused back into his body before the GF, giving him that amazing boost that took him to the gold medal. Allegedly.

I don't believe in sporting miracles, and (unfortunately) the blood transfusion story I heard does fit with the known facts. I don't know with 100% certainty that this is what happened, but it's what I believe happened based on what I saw at the time and heard since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Somewhat soured for me after I heard how/why this happened (allegedly).

Allegedly, he performed badly in the qualifying race because he had a bag of blood taken out of his body in the day or two leading up to the race. This bag of blood was then transfused back into his body before the GF, giving him that amazing boost that took him to the gold medal. Allegedly.

I don't believe in sporting miracles, and (unfortunately) the blood transfusion story I heard does fit with the known facts. I don't know with 100% certainty that this is what happened, but it's what I believe happened based on what I saw at the time and heard since.
Sad but believable, the Olympics is loaded with those stories.

As for Cadel, I missed the last 3 stages otherwise it would have been in there.

1. No Brainer : America's Cup Win, wresting it from the USA for the first time ever, and then seeing Dennis Connor [USA Skipper] eat s**t!!
2. Local SA boy Lleyton Hewitt winning the 2002 Wimbledon Championship.
3. Cathy Freeman's Olympic Gold
4. Lionel Rose M.B.E. becoming the first indigenous Australian to win a World title beating Japan's Fighting Harada
5. South Adelaide's premiership in 1964, been waiting for another Premiership ever since...

It might seem a bit rough but I dont rate Freemans gold as a memorable moment. Her only rival left in disgrace before the event and she was 2 time reigning world champ.

Surprised Adam Scotts Masters win hasn't featured more.

the Uruguay game is just shaded by the japan world cup win IMO. that last 10 mins was the most exciting and exhilarating sports moments (barring 97 and 98 gf's) I've ever seen

the Adelaide test, I was working in the city and left work to watch the final session. gates were opened up, would have been maybe 15k when I arrived, was full by the time mr cricket hit the winning runs

Japan game for me but I am biased cause I was there in person, in fact the few weeks I was in Germany for the World Cup is easily my one grouped memorable sporting moment. Best trip of my life.

And then to top it off amazing Adelaide happened six months later and was there for each and every second of it :)

Norwood's recent three peat was awesome, especially the Port GF, went nuts after that one.

Nigel Mansell somehow not smashing into the barriers on Brabham Straight when his tyre blew at the Adelaide GP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back