Opinion Motlop is better than Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think Rioli and Motlop are the same at all. If you picked someone from Hawks list for a similar player, then it has to be Hill.

I think Rioli to Varcoe would be a closer comparison.

Oh yes, much rather have Mitchell at Geelong, a much better overall player. The accuracy of his short hand/foot passing, and the way it lets team-mates run on to it, is reminiscent of Diesel.

You guys are tough! Remember his 2008 final series prior to GF (Scarlett kept him quiet) where he kicked some amazing goals against Saints and Doggies.

honestly, I have never found Franklin to be exciting and struggle to understand his hype currently.
Not sure if others feel the same but he doesn't have any high leap to take big marks and he doesn't have that freakish goal sense where he is able to simply soccer goals off the deck near the boundary line like Daicos use to do all the time. He's very much a left foot kicking machine and has kicked some truly brilliant left goals but there's no 'wow' factor about him.
The one time I found myself smiling was when he kicked a left foot dribbling goal in a final against Collingwood a few years ago (dying minutes) but that's been it.

Funny! I always say "WOW" when he pulls an arsey goal out of "you know where" against the Cats. I hate it when he does that!

Last edited:
Both terrific players but different - they essentially share one thing in common that draws consistent comparison. One comment though - if Rioli was in a Cats jumper - would he be in our Top 3? There's some good competition there, but if he isn't then he'd be very close.
He is not as good as Selwood, Johnson, Hawkins, Motlop, Taylor. So no he isn't close to the top 3. I personally would have Duncan, Bartel, Kelly, Enright and even Christensen ahead of him as well.

Both terrific players but different - they essentially share one thing in common that draws consistent comparison. One comment though - if Rioli was in a Cats jumper - would he be in our Top 3? There's some good competition there, but if he isn't then he'd be very close.
Hmmmmm, not sure he would even be in St Kilda's top 3. Sure he is amazingly skillful and is an excitement machine whenever he is near the ball, but injuries and lack of consistency of form mean it is hard to put him in the top 3 players in any side.

This shouldn't be an anti-Rioli thread - because he's a very good player and should be respected as one. I think what pi$$es everyone off about Rioli is Bruce McAveny's hyperbole - and that's not Rioli's fault.

Regarding Motlop - I'm just glad he's in my team!.

Watched the Marngrook footy show the other week and Mike Sheahan was discussing the best indigenous players of all time (and Polly came in at No 1!) and currently playing - and Mike rated Mots as No 2! There were questions as to why Cyril wasn't in the top three.

This shouldn't be an anti-Rioli thread - because he's a very good player and should be respected as one. I think what pi$$es everyone off about Rioli is Bruce McAveny's hyperbole - and that's not Rioli's fault.

Watched the Marngrook footy show the other week and Mike Sheahan was discussing the best indigenous players of all time (and Polly came in at No 1!) and currently playing - and Mike rated Mots as No 2! There were questions as to why Cyril wasn't in the top three.
That's interesting :) Great for Mots, too!

I meant to watch Marngrook but missed it- is it repeated, do you know, IB? I guess it'll come up on YouTube at some stage

That's interesting :) Great for Mots, too!

I meant to watch Marngrook but missed it- is it repeated, do you know, IB? I guess it'll come up on YouTube at some stage

No idea as I don't normally get to watch it. I was overnighting at some hotel (who had all the fox channels except Fox Footy - grrrr!) and the Marngrook show was the best thing on.

Well, at least you got to watch SOMETHING interesting!
I'll hunt it up- I'm sure I'll find it. Was there one of the Cats on this week? I seem to recall someone mentioning it earlier in the week but I wasn't able to watch it.

I'm not anti-Rioli, he's exciting to watch, and I wouldn't mind having him at Geelong (though not if we also had Varcoe, the wild inconsistency and unfulfilled talent of the two of them would be just too frustrating).
However, if you're comparing him and Motlop, it's legitimate to state the simple and incontrovertible fact that Motlop is simply a far superior player in every respect; and it is equally legitimate to say that so are a significant number of other Geelong players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wouldn't be in our top 10. He's arguably not in Hawthorn's.

I love the fact tht Motlop has got to the level where he can have a game like last night 20+ disposals & it only be a decent game for him, there were times early were a performance like last night was very unlikely.

I do cringe when he's in the centre for the bounces though, leave him on the flanks or wing please!

Rioli can have 10 possessions that are far more damaging than alot of player 25-30 possessions

Rioli can have 10 possessions that are far more damaging than alot of player 25-30 possessions

Completely disagree. It's like a lot of football myths (and myths in general) - repeat something enough times as though the more you speak it the more it becomes true.

Rioli's 10 possessions are NOT more damaging than 25-30 to others. They just aren't. Does he lead the competition in assists? No. Doesn't he kick 6 goals every week from those 10 possessions? No.

He's a good player, but he is hideously, grotesquely overrated.

Last edited:

Therein lies the difference. Hawks fans are happy with a 10 possession game from Rioli. We expect more from Motlop (and Varcoe too for that matter).

Completely disagree. It's like a lot of football myths (and myths in general) - repeat something enough times as though the more you speak it the more it becomes true.

Rioli's 10 possessions are NOT more damaging than 25-30 to others. They just aren't. Does he lead the competition in assists? No. Doesn't he kick 6 goals every week from those 10 possessions? No.

He's a good player, but he is hideously, grotesquely overrated.
Yep and this talk about how he can have 10 touches and do more etc.... There might be 1 lace out bullet pass in there but the other 4 kicks are likely to be floaters or dirty helicopters that miss a target.

I can understand how it looks as Geelong people obsessing over Cyril but frankly if the media didn't pump him up to ridiculous levels I don't think anyone would even notice him.

The Hawks are extremely overprotective of him as well, Lloyd correctly questioned him and was spot on about him in an article this year and Derm questioned Lloyds ability, judgement and basically threw the toys out of the cot

Yep and this talk about how he can have 10 touches and do more etc.... There might be 1 lace out bullet pass in there but the other 4 kicks are likely to be floaters or dirty helicopters that miss a target.

I can understand how it looks as Geelong people obsessing over Cyril but frankly if the media didn't pump him up to ridiculous levels I don't think anyone would even notice him.

The Hawks are extremely overprotective of him as well, Lloyd correctly questioned him and was spot on about him in an article this year and Derm questioned Lloyds ability, judgement and basically threw the toys out of the cot

That would be Derm "Cyril is God" - a direct quote from a telecast last year.

I think Rioli is an undoubted raw talent but so what? It's the AFL. There's talent aplenty...some of it unrealised outside the system. Personally I think Rioli would have been a much better player had he been held accountable earlier on for his inconsistent performances and made to pay some VFL occasionally.

I think Rioli is an undoubted raw talent but so what? It's the AFL. There's talent aplenty...some of it unrealised outside the system. Personally I think Rioli would have been a much better player had he been held accountable earlier on for his inconsistent performances and made to pay some VFL occasionally.
Totally agree.
The ridiculous comparisons between Rioli & Ablett Jnr a few years back were way off the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back