Toast Motlop

Remove this Banner Ad

Good choice for a favourite player, Geelong_Gen- that's an awesome highlights reel. Thanks for posting it!!
I love those "don't argue"s - pretty sweet for such a little fella!! And hasn't his goal kicking come a long way since his first 10-20 games? I just love watching him slot those rippers after a run :D
Yeah I have to agree, it seems that once he came back from that knee injury he has improved a lot!

Yeah I have to agree, it seems that once he came back from that knee injury he has improved a lot!
I admit that I thought he was patchy last year but, after learning about the tendonitis, I felt very angry that he had been allowed to play in the international series, particularly as he'd had the knee soreness during the season. He could've been resting the knee and possibly avoided surgery(?) Or maybe, if it definitely needed surgery, he could've had it a couple of months before he actually went under the knife and would've been available for Round 1

Motlop is a true excitement machine, but does the hard yards with his possessions as well as giving the icing on the cake, so he's always contributing rather than just flashing in and out.

And it is good to know that even when Stevie J retires, we'll still have the Stevie M magic.

It's amazing how quickly things can change. 2012 was always likely to be his make or break year but I think the general consensus was that he was unlikely to make it. A big NAB cup and a good season and suddenly he's almost made an AA team.

I think it's an important lesson for those people who are always against the "project" player types when we draft them. We should remember that guys like Motlop and Mackie took basically until their 5th season to become locks in the first 22. That's with them being versatile small/mid sized players who can more easily win a place in the team than talls. We saw this year that Simpson came from nowhere to show he'll be a premier ruckman if he can maintain fitness. Guys like Hartman, Hamling and Brown are still in contention to be good players (Brown would've played a lot of games at most clubs this year) and there's nothing wrong with going for a guy who might take a bit longer if they're the best players out there. When it all comes together in terms of mental and physical maturity, they can turn the corner very quickly. Motlop did it last year. Simpson did it this year. Hopefully somebody like Brown can do it next year.

Beat me to it.

I think 'The Rise of the Third Motlop' is s classic example of why we need hold judgement on some young players and how long they can take to mature, get over injuries and then perform. And that we need to back GFC more often than not that they know the real talent of a player even if we cannot see it on the field right away.

Same could be said of Tommy Hawkins.

That is why I prefer to keep, if possible Brown and Schroder - one more year. And trade THunt in preference. He is quite a good player and has had 50 senior games but I do not think he will be able to get a senior game when the many youngsters we have start making significant progress. Now not all will make it but I reckon for sure we have 3-8 players in the VFL that will - just on probability.

Schroder and Brown, if given senior games, might still make it - and one last year I think will tell us that.

Stringer for me is similar to THunt - had less senior games but I do not see how he will be anything but a depth player for us. Maybe a bit of an early call.

But Kolo has shown a fair bit in the VFL already, as has Lang, McCarthy, Hartman, and JJ. Then add Bews, Thurlow and Hamling. All could get senior runs next season and even a few keep their spot !

With maybe 2-3 senior positions opening up next season how many Cats fans would put Stringer and THunt ahead of all these guys ? Not many I suspect.

I think a few would say that Bews and Hartman have already started to get near their level - and quite a few view Thurlow as a potentially very good player.

And we have to fit Vardy back into the side next season - as the MC see him as our best CHF option.

Given this situation how will THunt or Stringer (or Sheringham) ever get senior game again ?

Better for them to get traded to another club (like Simpkin) and have the chance of getting senior games.

I admit some would say this about Brown and Schroder as well.

But for me if it was who do we keep and who do we trade/delist - give me Brown and Schroder over Stringer and THunt.

Some of his 5 minute patches of brilliance have almost been Senior-like in the manor he's ripped open a match.
You are right, he's the sort of the guy that's put space between you and your opposition with two quick goals and another set up, I can't oversell this enough coming into September.

is he almost as valuable as Selwood and ultimately the most important player at the club?

If we lost him to injury, what other player do we have like him who has the ability to switch a game in the space of a quarter? Menzel was on that verge, Johnson does it but doesn't quite have the athletic prowess, incredible elevation it has been the last 18 months for Steven.
Some of his 5 minute patches of brilliance have almost been Senior-like in the manor he's ripped open a match.

As far as making up space towards Selwood, maybe, but most important? Hawkins by the length of Pako St and LaTrobe Tce combined.
Definitely one of my favourite players and 1 of a handful who I think will become genuine superstars in a few years.

is he almost as valuable as Selwood and ultimately the most important player at the club?

If we lost him to injury, what other player do we have like him who has the ability to switch a game in the space of a quarter? Menzel was on that verge, Johnson does it but doesn't quite have the athletic prowess, incredible elevation it has been the last 18 months for Steven.
If Murdoch could watch what SM does and emulate him, and finish up by damaging the opposition on the scoreboard, it'd mean we had two excitement machines :)

I know I know, but think of the anger from the P&Ws!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually don't mind it. Wish rappers would learn to insert a melody without vocals though.

Where's the reach around! So you could accidentally bump into him outside on the street wearing a cats top and holding a marker. Still awesome story :) "Muts" goes OK I hear...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back