Move from Waverley

Remove this Banner Ad

nigelbs

Debutant
Jul 24, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Those of us that have been to club nights and the AGM will know the club has been looking at the future of Waverley, and options to move for some time.As much as I love Waverley the fact that there is no privacy has always been a problem.

I have just heard from a reliable source (yes I know it is the standard line) that we are close to acquiring a site (a golf course or similar) which is no further out from the CBD for $70m. An announcement could be made as early as next week.

Really looking forward to learning what the club is proposing. Hopefully it includes some form of social club ala Linda Crescent.

FWIW I am a regular reader of our Big Footy forum, but do not post. And before you ask, I am too old to make up stuff. Have a good day :)

Those of us that have been to club nights and the AGM will know the club has been looking at the future of Waverley, and options to move for some time.As much as I love Waverley the fact that there is no privacy has always been a problem.

I have just heard from a reliable source (yes I know it is the standard line) that we are close to acquiring a site (a golf course or similar) which is no further out from the CBD for $70m. An announcement could be made as early as next week.

Really looking forward to learning what the club is proposing. Hopefully it includes some form of social club ala Linda Crescent.

FWIW I am a regular reader of our Big Footy forum, but do not post. And before you ask, I am too old to make up stuff. Have a good day :)
I was of the impression the club was paying peppercorn rent under the current arrangements. Why would they pull up stumps on the deal of a life time?

Kingston Links?

I was of the impression the club was paying peppercorn rent under the current arrangements. Why would they pull up stumps on the deal of a life time?

because the facilities are dated and below par from the new facilities of essendon…and waverley does not have the room for the necessary upgrades…the new facilities will be set up for a long term view of having the best facilities

I thought they had only been looking for a second training facility for closed sessions (that deal I read last year was close to completion). I also heard that Waverley's facilities where getting feasibility studies on a potential upgrade.

I really hope we don't move. Makes no financial sense.

Then why have "bs" I your name, huh? ;)

J/k

I thought they had only been looking for a second training facility for closed sessions (that deal I read last year was close to completion). I also heard that Waverley's facilities where getting feasibility studies on a potential upgrade.

I really hope we don't move. Makes no financial sense.

I won't be able to go to training if they move :(

If they move, then I trust the club has made a wise choice. The board is full of good business people who would not take unnecessary financial risks. Purchasing a facility is better than renting, as long as you don't spend beyond your means. Again I trust the current board will make an astute decision.

Last edited:
If they move, then I trust the club has made a wise choice. The board is full of good business people who would not make unnecessary financial risks. Purchasing a facility is better than renting, as long as you don't spend beyond your means. Again I trust the current board will make an astute decision.

Buying land that will sort out the clubs needs for the next 100 years is what we need to do

Waverley is inadequate. Three obvious deficiencies are being unable to have a closed session, only one oval, and no large indoor space

No idea what will be state of the art in 50 years time, but important that we have enough space so we can build whatever is required

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buying land that will sort out the clubs needs for the next 100 years is what we need to do

Waverley is inadequate. Three obvious deficiencies are being unable to have a closed session, only one oval, and no large indoor space

No idea what will be state of the art in 50 years time, but important that we have enough space so we can build whatever is required
Why would they need a second?

That still doesn't really explain why we'd need a second pitch? I don't imagine they'd do a lot of match simulations on different sized grounds.
It's enough for me that it is or could be an advantage to have the flexibility.

The Bombers have a second one which is particularly useful to them because they play regularly at both Etihad and the G. Even though we only play a couple of Etihad games a year, taking shots from the pockets of our second oval during the week could help.

It's enough for me that it is or could be an advantage to have the flexibility.

The Bombers have a second one which is particularly useful to them because they play regularly at both Etihad and the G. Even though we only play a couple of Etihad games a year, taking shots from the pockets of our second oval during the week could help.
The Waverley oval was changed to replicate the size of the MCG
Can't we just paint an inner circle on the ground to replicate the size of Edihad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back