Business & Finance Moving Out Of Home Tips And Tricks?

Remove this Banner Ad

OP any idea on who you are moving in with?

As others have mentioned, sometimes moving in with a mate(s) can be deal breakers...

If you have any issues with housemates... DO NOT leave notes around the house... I did this when I first lived out of home and it's not the way to go about dealing with issues, makes things worse. Confront them and don't be scared to have 'house meetings' to sort stuff out.

Although easier said that done, try to make sure everyone cleans up their own dishes.

Also, if viable (depending on housemate's timetables obviously) try to get each member of the house to cook for everyone atleast once a week/fortnight - It's a good way to have regular 'house-meetings' without the serious tone of calling a 'house-meeting' and you'll find that house issues come up in conversation a bit more organically.....

Yeah gender balance is always a nice thing -

My house just recently went from 60% 40% male: female ratio to 100% guys... I was a bit bummed that happened, at the same time you can't force a fit that isn't there... rent needed to be paid....

Cleaning standards are IME the cause of more sharehouse angst than every other thing combined, so get that s**t sorted. Whether it's via a chore roster or hiring a cleaner and splitting the costs just make sure everyone knows what's expected of them.

Also, if viable (depending on housemate's timetables obviously) try to get each member of the house to cook for everyone atleast once a week/fortnight - It's a good way to have regular 'house-meetings' without the serious tone of calling a 'house-meeting' and you'll find that house issues come up in conversation a bit more organically.....

:thumbsu: this is a great bit of advice

Cleaning standards are IME the cause of more sharehouse angst than every other thing combined, so get that s**t sorted. Whether it's via a chore roster or hiring a cleaner and splitting the costs just make sure everyone knows what's expected of them.
I will also add that this is super important. Also other stuff like gardening etc. (if it's a rental with a garden, you'll often be expected to maintain it) make sure you lay out the ground rules early.
Fridge/Food etiquette is also very important. Taking a splash of milk for a coffee is okay, but constantly taking other people's stuff is a s**t thing to do.

Live with chicks, all male households can get a Lord of the Flies sometimes, chicks are a civillising influence.
The worst people I've lived with have been chicks, just filthy.

Which reminds me of this couple I lived with when I was 18... they were appalling. I can't believe people who never washed and cleaned up could have fridges so full and bins so constantly overflowing. I have no idea how they did it. They were going out though and even in a bigger situation, they held all the power... they shotgunned half a fridge (which ended up turning into the freezer and all but the bottom shelf – and of course the veggie tray...). I'd probably say living with couples is fraught with danger. I remember some of the arguments they'd get in that'd chill the whole house.

I'd probably say living with couples is fraught with danger. I remember some of the arguments they'd get in that'd chill the whole house.

There is one thing worse than living with a couple, living with someone whos GF/BF still lives at home. Basically means they are staying over 5 nights+ a week. Good work on the free rent!

I lived with a mate once who seemed to be home 24/7 which drove me nuts. Sometimes you need your own space.

My friend and I lived with a guy who after moving in pretty quickly put his PC in the only living/lounge room (the type that has the kitchen on the side too). He wasn't home 24/7 but when he wasn't out or sleeping he was basically always on it. So it quickly felt like an extension of his room and if we wanted to feel alone we had to retreat to our rooms.

In hindsight we were too nervous to bring it up and as it turned out he was a total * wit so his reply would've been "Well what else are we using that corner for?!".

I will also add that this is super important. Also other stuff like gardening etc. (if it's a rental with a garden, you'll often be expected to maintain it) make sure you lay out the ground rules early.
Fridge/Food etiquette is also very important. Taking a splash of milk for a coffee is okay, but constantly taking other people's stuff is a s**t thing to do.
Best system I've seen had things like milk and beer on a rotating share purchase (person a buys 2l of milk, when it's low person b gets the next one), but we also had a guy who was a bit anal about keeping it fair, which actually worked in our favour I think when someone was away when it was their turn etc.

Second the idea before about buy your own appliances, don't split costs, will save you a world of hurt when you move out.

I've always done this one the wrong way, but don't put all the rent and bills in your name, you'll be constantly chasing everyone for money, which starts to cause friction after a while. Put the power bill with one person, internet with another etc.

Are you moving in with anyone chargers? Or just trying to get ready for when you do leave?

My friend and I lived with a guy who after moving in pretty quickly put his PC in the only living/lounge room (the type that has the kitchen on the side too). He wasn't home 24/7 but when he wasn't out or sleeping he was basically always on it. So it quickly felt like an extension of his room and if we wanted to feel alone we had to retreat to our rooms.

Yeah room size and common areas are a tricky one. I lived with someone who had the small room of the 3 and paid the least rent but was always in the lounge room. That's not quite the idea...

I lived with a FIFO dude once. Thought it would be a sweet deal, 8 days in every 14 he's not even there. Unfortunately that meant 6 days in every 14 he was. 24/7. When you work Mon-Fri the last thing you want is to get home at 6 or whenever wanting to relax to find someone who has been sitting around at home all day that effectively needs entertaining.

There is one thing worse than living with a couple, living with someone whos GF/BF still lives at home. Basically means they are staying over 5 nights+ a week. Good work on the free rent!

These campaigners can GTFO.

We had a house with a single width driveway and a small verge. Could fit two cars one behind the other in the driveway then one on the verge. Annoying having to constantly check who was in and out first so you don't get blocked in, but still 3 spots for the 3 cars at the house. Dickhead boyfriend would not only come over all the ******* time but would help himself to whichever spot then park overnight. Yeah that's cool, I'll just park around the corner on the street at my own ******* house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I lived with a FIFO dude once. Thought it would be a sweet deal, 8 days in every 14 he's not even there. Unfortunately that meant 6 days in every 14 he was. 24/7. When you work Mon-Fri the last thing you want is to get home at 6 or whenever wanting to relax to find someone who has been sitting around at home all day that effectively needs entertaining.

This guy would get home from work around 9-9.30pm and want to talk about his work (aka managers who are s**t) and international events + philosophy... while I'm in the last 90 minutes of my day where I don't want to do my heavy thinking. And because his dumb computer was there near the TV and kitchen I couldn't avoid him.

Been a while but had many different housemates over the years in several share houses.

Don't be or tolerate others being passive aggressive. Confrontation can be polite and cordial. By the same token, you do need to be reasonable and dont let little things piss you off.

If housemates are having a good time with a bit of noise and you need to sleep just deal with it if it is not a common occurence. If they are noisy all the time let em know about it.

Be sure to call your folks now and then just to say hi so that not every call is you asking for money. ;)

Some housemates can end up being friends, others you hardly have anything to with. Both types can be good housemates.

Contents insurance. You might think you dont own s**t but it all adds up.

The shared cooking thing you need to suss out, some people might not like the idea of having to be home at a particular time.

Be open minded and enjoy living with different sorts of people, you'll be over it eventually but enjoy in the meantime you can learn and grow a lot.

Share house parties are up there with the best you'll ever have.

A guaranteed way to piss someone off is to out of the blue be using the shower during the time they use it every morning. Try to figure someting out to avoid clashing.

If it aint working for you be prepared to move out, no hard feelings.

Set the standard for others to live by. As much as rules can suck, a few good ones we had over the years:

- all dishes used to be washed before you go to bed for the night. (Seriously, this is a good one)
- taking little bits of staples like bread and milk etc is ok, but dont take the last of anything.
- though shalt not purchase one ply toilet paper.
- (all blokes house) if there is hot nudity on tv you must herald it loudly and immediatley
- no farting in the kitchen
- first person to wake up turns on the tv even if they wont watch it (s**t old tv took 30 mins to warm up)
- just keep a book for shared expenses like bog rolls, washing powder etc. Buy when you need, reconcile every couple of months or so.

But yeah just enjoy it.

Dude tell me about it

"4 weeks off 2 weeks home, * yeah house to myself"

However as soon as the dude was home "Hey lets go out on the piss, Hey my mates are here and we'll be back at 2am hitting the piss hard at 2am" "Hey your home lets do s**t" "Hey man im bored can i join your A grade social basketball i made a few shots at the park today or "im halfway through a family guy marathon good luck unwinding in the loungeroom"

Dude tell me about it

"4 weeks off 2 weeks home, **** yeah house to myself"

However as soon as the dude was home "Hey lets go out on the piss, Hey my mates are here and we'll be back at 2am hitting the piss hard at 2am" "Hey your home lets do s**t" "Hey man im bored can i join your A grade social basketball i made a few shots at the park today or "im halfway through a family guy marathon good luck unwinding in the loungeroom"

That sounds cute :)

Wish I had this thread about 10 years ago.....I moved in with my best mate from footy, we shared a 2 bed townhouse for 18 months. Smashed it up about every night, went doubles kore than a few times with birds we bought back from the pubs. Was my first time out of home and I loved it. Brought another bloke from footy in for a few months, didn't work, showed him the door after countless attempts to rectify his behaviour.

After a while, we got two more mates and upgraded to a McMansion....then the fun began. Set up some lounges and a bar in the double garage, turned on some raging parties. All original tenants have moved on, but, some 5 years since we moved in, the house remains occupied by Nor-West Jets footballers, albeit in worse condition, the younger blokes are all grubs. They make up for it in parties though.

That I'm not allowed to attend, mind you. I've had my day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back