MRP is a flip flopping circus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jimbos1

Team Captain
May 6, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Both players going for the ball.

Fyfe - Elected to bump instead of alternatives(smother). Resulted in high contact, clash of heads.

Viney - Elected to bump instead of alternatives(spin). Resulted in high contact, clash of heads.

Neither of them jumped, both got low.

So why does one get 2 weeks and the other go free? Where is the line drawn for 2 weeks?

Viney chose to brace for contact, rather than elected to bump, because the ball was in dispute until the last second. That would be the key difference between Fyfe and Viney.

And also, a spin is not a realistic football alternative I would say. Not that I think Fyfe had a realistic alternative to smother either, he wasn't there in time.

Both players going for the ball.

Fyfe - Elected to bump instead of alternatives(smother). Resulted in high contact, clash of heads.

Viney - Elected to bump instead of alternatives(spin). Resulted in high contact, clash of heads.

Neither of them jumped, both got low.

So why does one get 2 weeks and the other go free? Where is the line drawn for 2 weeks?

- One appealed, the other didn't.
- One is based in Victoria, the other isn't.

... that pretty much covers it I think.

Viney getting done for it was worse than Fyfe getting done for it. If there was that much doubt Fyfe would have appealed too. We've also had weeks since Fyfe's for things to be whipped into a frenzy by the media. The climate was more conducive to an appeal being successful.

It's not about doubt, it's about basis for appeal.

If we thought there was any way we could have contested Fyfe's charge we would have. But you can't just go to the MRP and say "this rule sucks". You have to argue that it was implemented incorrectly. That's what Melbourne did, by claiming that Viney had no other course of action.

There are pretty rigid criteria for any charge.

Nature of incident (negligent, reckless intentional) etc
Severity of impact (low, medium, high, severe)
Point of contact (body or head)

To appeal Fyfe's case we would have to appeal on the basis of one of those assessments. Melbourne appealed that it wasn't negligent because he had no other option. We couldn't use that excuse because Fyfe had other options (even if they were s**t ones).

The rule is s**t but there would have been no point in Fremantle challenging it in the Fyfe case. Just have to wait for them to throw it out at the end of the year.

This. Two wrongs don't make a right. Fyfes suspension is in the past, no need to give others bs suspensions.
This is wrong.

Yes Fyfe's suspension was in the past, but it was in the 2014 Season. The MRP needs to be consistent throughout the whole season.

This is wrong.

Yes Fyfe's suspension was in the past, but it was in the 2014 Season. The MRP needs to be consistent throughout the whole season.

Technically it wasn't the MRP, it was the tribunal.

The MRP didn't have the guts to do it properly. They couldn't decide if it was negligent rough conduct or an unavoidable collision with no other option. It was either nothing or 4 weeks (down to 3 with guilty plea) the way the rule is written. They didn't have the guts make a decision, so they referred it to the tribunal. It took them two goes to get it right.

In future, I think rough conduct is far too harsh for this type of incident. The table of penalties for rough conduct are more severe than for striking. I don't think it's right that bumps should be classified this way, it should be equal to or slightly less than striking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thank goodness for that. sure its corrupt and weak of the AFL, bowing to public pressure but their position was untenable due to the number of respected figures coming out against the original decision. but its the right decision.
Fyfe shouldn't have gone either. We will never know if he would have gotten off at appeal. I suspect not as he had more choice about his actions and could have avoided contact altogether which Viney couldn't.

I'd rather they get them right than be consistently wrong.
Its not about right and wrong. This is legal, getting it "right" would have to wait until 2015. It has to be a level playing field.

What gets on my freaking **** is we're the test case that sets the bullshitometer off, just as it was with Michael Johnson. Then they work out what a stupid bunch of ******* ingnorant dickheads they've been and re/calibrate things...meanwhile our players sit on the pine potentially costing us games.

The ******* morons making these rules need a steel cap in the balls

Last edited:
Its not about right and wrong. This is legal, getting it "right" would have to wait until 2015. It has to be a level playing field.
No way if no one gets suspended the way Fyfe did again the whole competition is better off. We've felt the impact which is crap, some of the fans are still bitter but tbh I wanna see what's best for the game and suspensions like that should NEVER happen again under ANY circumstances. Common sense has prevailed.

What gets on my freaking **** is we're the test case that sets the bullshitomer off, just as it was with Michael Johnson. Then they work out what a stupid bunch of ******* ingnorant dickheads they've been and re/calibrate things...meanwhile our players sit on the pine potentially costing us games.

Crucifixion's too good for 'em! it's a good hard kick in the Dandenongs they need!

No way if no one gets suspended the way Fyfe did again the whole competition is better off. We've felt the impact which is crap, some of the fans are still bitter but tbh I wanna see what's best for the game and suspensions like that should NEVER happen again under ANY circumstances. Common sense has prevailed.
I agree to disagree, thanks for your input.

What gets on my freaking **** is we're the test case that sets the bullshitomer off, just as it was with Michael Johnson. Then they work out what a stupid bunch of ******* ingnorant dickheads they've been and re/calibrate things...meanwhile our players sit on the pine potentially costing us games.

One that I'm still bitter about was when Troy Cook was suspended for a week for a perfectly legal shepherd.

IIRC it was around the time they were in a frenzy about players electing to run past the ball to bump, thanks to the actions of cowards like Byron Pickett who would pretend to be going for the ball only to run past and snipe an unsuspecting opponent at the last second.

Problem is the ******* morons misapplied it to Cook's case because his teammate was picking the ball up while he shepherded for him. Of course he's going to run past the ball if his teammate already has it! Never seen a single player get suspended for it since.

a little question:

WTF is on the MRP, and WTF is the AFL paid person that selects the snippets of video that the MRP review and rule on? Oh, and WTF are those peoples allegiances (which clubs)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back