Murray FL 2013/14

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The word from the boys over the other side of the river is regardless of the outcome of the current investigation Sam is no longer associated with the Barooga Football club in anyway.

It was only a small piece but it made for a fairly concerning read. I know everyones innocent until proven otherwise, but I can't for the life of me think of an acceptable explanation for his allegations. But moving on...........
It said in the paper that he was a "semi-pro country footballer, earning $1000 dollars a game. Was he that good? And will his departure leave much of a hole for the hawks?

Sam Boxell played for Port Douglas in Cairns, moved over from Tasmania, played rep footy for AFL Cairns and I think played for Queensland Country.
sounds like he's in a fair bit of trouble if the reports are accurate.

But back to Footy- We got beat to by moama. They were just to well prepared and ready for us and we just didn't adjust. They lead us from beginning to end, their FF T. Jones had a day out, most of the time had a 1 on 1 and beat our man. Maddox and his coaching panel dropped 3-4 guys back at a time to chop out Cupido and it worked. But the good thing to come out of that was we can change that the next time we meet.

I was also surprised to see Congupna get over Barooga- Can someone please give us a report from this game?
And I thought the final score from the Tonny v Cats game was also interesting. Seems like we weren't the only team to have an off week.

sounds like he's in a fair bit of trouble if the reports are accurate.

But back to Footy- We got beat to by moama. They were just to well prepared and ready for us and we just didn't adjust. They lead us from beginning to end, their FF T. Jones had a day out, most of the time had a 1 on 1 and beat our man. Maddox and his coaching panel dropped 3-4 guys back at a time to chop out Cupido and it worked. But the good thing to come out of that was we can change that the next time we meet.

I was also surprised to see Congupna get over Barooga- Can someone please give us a report from this game?
And I thought the final score from the Tonny v Cats game was also interesting. Seems like we weren't the only team to have an off week.
Watched The Road against Mulwala and they rallied but then gave it in. This week's news may have unsettled Barooga quite a bit. The biggest shock has to be Cobram not scoring. If that is correct, when was the last time that happened in a senior game? Even at their worst last year Tocumwal managed ten points from five shots on goal.

The Barooga v Congupna game was pretty even all day. Barooga had more possession of the footy but were very wasteful going forward, plenty of inside 50s but Congupna rebounded well and finished the game off stronger. The better team won on the day.

Very concerning for Cobram - I've personally never seen a side scoreless in senior footy, will the few recruits they've managed to get from Melbourne continue to drive up to play in results like that? The wheel has turned very quickly.

The Barooga v Congupna game was pretty even all day. Barooga had more possession of the footy but were very wasteful going forward, plenty of inside 50s but Congupna rebounded well and finished the game off stronger. The better team won on the day.

Very concerning for Cobram - I've personally never seen a side scoreless in senior footy, will the few recruits they've managed to get from Melbourne continue to drive up to play in results like that? The wheel has turned very quickly.

Watched The Road against Mulwala and they rallied but then gave it in. This week's news may have unsettled Barooga quite a bit. The biggest shock has to be Cobram not scoring. If that is correct, when was the last time that happened in a senior game? Even at their worst last year Tocumwal managed ten points from five shots on goal.

Cobram will be alright wont they?? surely not in any danger of going the way of the Bloods?? Mulwala has some genuine quality playing for them, despite all their losses, I'm thinking it's just a case of a good team finally playing well and a raw team being caught off guard? They've obviously fallen away from where they were when Ozzy had them, but is a case of going thru the cycle, or of a new coach being wet behind the ears, or have they lost support from their locals?

Cobram will be alright wont they?? surely not in any danger of going the way of the Bloods?? Mulwala has some genuine quality playing for them, despite all their losses, I'm thinking it's just a case of a good team finally playing well and a raw team being caught off guard? They've obviously fallen away from where they were when Ozzy had them, but is a case of going thru the cycle, or of a new coach being wet behind the ears, or have they lost support from their locals?

I can't really comment on whether the coach has anything to do with the issue, but a few of the older blokes at the club have said it is their worst senior team in 20 years. I Don't think there is any worry about them as a club, they traditionally have strong juniors and are a well supported club, plus a big population compared to many murray league clubs.

Just wanted to share a few thoughts on the Rumba / Deni game on Sat night. Maybe a few others who were at other games could do the same and create some interest.
I saw a really entertaining game of footy under lights on a ground that now has a great surface. The new faces at Rumba have added some class and discipline and that showed when it really counted in the last quarter. Got to say Nathan lovett/murray as the on field general, made the Rumba players around him more focused and organised than i've ever seen them. Rex Taylor and Timaeptua were great to watch, running and bouncing the ball on a wet cold night as if it was dry. Rumbas depth must be a worry, as it is for Deni, as there wasnt much to see in the two's.
Deni gave a typical honest effort from a bunch that is still very young. Frog must be pulling out what little hair he has left with injuries to some important players costing us games. Saturday saw our CHF, CHB, No 1 Ruckman,No 2 Ruckman and two of our best young players unavailable. Still the boys had a red hot crack and were in it right till the end. Why Ricky Gittens cant get in the interleague team is beyond me (but after last years f/up, who cares). Thought the night game was a great idea until i had the hour and a half drive home after a full day at the footy, leaving home at 10 am, and getting in the door at 10pm :eek:. I dont know if Rumba would return the favour if our lights were good enough.
The Deni / Barooga game is now a must for our blokes to win. And lastly, how good is it to see Sam Lloyd having a crack at Richmond. :thumbsu:

Just wanted to share a few thoughts on the Rumba / Deni game on Sat night. Maybe a few others who were at other games could do the same and create some interest.
I saw a really entertaining game of footy under lights on a ground that now has a great surface. The new faces at Rumba have added some class and discipline and that showed when it really counted in the last quarter. Got to say Nathan lovett/murray as the on field general, made the Rumba players around him more focused and organised than i've ever seen them. Rex Taylor and Timaeptua were great to watch, running and bouncing the ball on a wet cold night as if it was dry. Rumbas depth must be a worry, as it is for Deni, as there wasnt much to see in the two's.
Deni gave a typical honest effort from a bunch that is still very young. Frog must be pulling out what little hair he has left with injuries to some important players costing us games. Saturday saw our CHF, CHB, No 1 Ruckman,No 2 Ruckman and two of our best young players unavailable. Still the boys had a red hot crack and were in it right till the end. Why Ricky Gittens cant get in the interleague team is beyond me (but after last years f/up, who cares). Thought the night game was a great idea until i had the hour and a half drive home after a full day at the footy, leaving home at 10 am, and getting in the door at 10pm :eek:. I dont know if Rumba would return the favour if our lights were good enough.
The Deni / Barooga game is now a must for our blokes to win. And lastly, how good is it to see Sam Lloyd having a crack at Richmond. :thumbsu:

Not wrong sledge was a bloody hard game to be apart of! I was a sore man sat night!!
I felt we were lucky to get the W as it was down back a lot of the last QTR and it was only cause of the conditions that players weren't kicking goals!!

You guys have some great young kids and will be a premier threat soon enough!

I'm sure if Deni was able to host a night game we would def be up for it as we love night games and want more of them. I do feel for the Deni families long day.

Not wrong sledge was a bloody hard game to be apart of! I was a sore man sat night!!
I felt we were lucky to get the W as it was down back a lot of the last QTR and it was only cause of the conditions that players weren't kicking goals!!

You guys have some great young kids and will be a premier threat soon enough!

I'm sure if Deni was able to host a night game we would def be up for it as we love night games and want more of them. I do feel for the Deni families long day.
The Deni / Barooga game is now a must for our blokes to win. And lastly, how good is it to see Sam Lloyd having a crack at Richmond. :thumbsu:[/QUOTEwas at the game also after watching Congupna/finley and a cracking game by both sides rumba just a little experienced at the end agree ricky gittens for inter footy as very hard at it and great team player but with so many in squad would not get a look in as united rumba moama etc send so many over and as velvet said after last years f/up no chance

I was at game after watching finley/Congupna and a cacker of a game by both sides and rumba a little more experience at the end deni will shake a few sides thru/out the year while rebuilding and good to see rumba improve totally agree that ricky gittens for intre league asvery hard at it and great team player but as other sides send so many over would probably get over looked maybe a cap of 4 players per team so every team is represented and not 6to 8 from 1 team

Can someone tell me about Cobram this season. Bewilders me how a club that has played finals since 2009 , have all of a sudden not just dropped out of contention, but have been belted by 100 pts plus in the 4 games so far this season, not to mention not scoring a single point the other week.That is unheard of in todays football world. The town is one of the larger populated towns in the comp, yes with Barooga across the river, Strathy and Yarra grasshoppers 10 or 20 klms up the road, but s**t. how does a club drop to this level. Even if they had out of town players coming up to play in a season, that are no longer returning, longer, surely they have enough locals and developing youngsters available to be a little competitive.... As is, they wouldn't beat the bottom placed club in the Picola league divisions.
I understand clubs go thru the cycle of success and no success, but Ive never seen this result in a good standard comp as the Murray League is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone tell me about Cobram this season. Bewilders me how a club that has played finals since 2009 , have all of a sudden not just dropped out of contention, but have been belted by 100 pts plus in the 4 games so far this season, not to mention not scoring a single point the other week.That is unheard of in todays football world. The town is one of the larger populated towns in the comp, yes with Barooga across the river, Strathy and Yarra grasshoppers 10 or 20 klms up the road, but s**t. how does a club drop to this level. Even if they had out of town players coming up to play in a season, that are no longer returning, longer, surely they have enough locals and developing youngsters available to be a little competitive.... As is, they wouldn't beat the bottom placed club in the Picola league divisions.
I understand clubs go thru the cycle of success and no success, but Ive never seen this result in a good standard comp as the Murray League is.

They've been raiding other clubs and paying big $$ for a while now, it's come back to bite them on the ass!!

Interesting read in today's shepp paper with the barooga chairman saying there weren't merge talks purely a talk between 3 clubs about the future of local footy. Yet cobram president said on the radio Saturday morning there were informal talks between the 2 clubs and local businesses.
The barooga chairman didn't state who the 3rd club was.

cobram had some players ready to go that were already signed up but for one reason or another they jumped ship when it looked grim.. hard to recruit in late feb early march unless you go down the Darwin path which proves time and time again not to work!! although have heard that's Mulwala,s Farrah is really turning some heads with the way he is playing so that one might pan out. So is nathalia the real deal this year or has the recruiting that rumba and Barooga and couple other sides actually made there recruits go under the radar as we didn't hear much out of there in pre season??

cobram had some players ready to go that were already signed up but for one reason or another they jumped ship when it looked grim.. hard to recruit in late feb early march unless you go down the Darwin path which proves time and time again not to work!! although have heard that's Mulwala,s Farrah is really turning some heads with the way he is playing so that one might pan out. So is nathalia the real deal this year or has the recruiting that rumba and Barooga and couple other sides actually made there recruits go under the radar as we didn't hear much out of there in pre season??

Not a hope in hell Barooga would even consider a merger with Cobram, there was an approach from tocumwal last season and if that didn't get considered then no way Cobram would be. The only reason Barooga would be involved in the meeting was the ongoing concern about lack of junior numbers. Cobram just need to suck it up and push through, as others have mentioned they have forked out a lot of cash over the last 5 years and ultimately failed, but with the natural cycle of football will improve again.

On the interleague question I'm pretty sure the club coaches have the main say in who is selected form their clubs, that's the way it has changed to due to the league continually picking blokes who had no interest in playing.

Some more cracking games this weekend, tips anyone??

I
Not a hope in hell Barooga would even consider a merger with Cobram, there was an approach from tocumwal last season and if that didn't get considered then no way Cobram would be. The only reason Barooga would be involved in the meeting was the ongoing concern about lack of junior numbers. Cobram just need to suck it up and push through, as others have mentioned they have forked out a lot of cash over the last 5 years and ultimately failed, but with the natural cycle of football will improve again.

On the interleague question I'm pretty sure the club coaches have the main say in who is selected form their clubs, that's the way it has changed to due to the league continually picking blokes who had no interest in playing.

Some more cracking games this weekend, tips anyone??
Hi boys, been away and seem to have missed a bit which is quietly pleasing, but, of the top, I don't think Cobram will drop back a league. But in the interest of this league, with the loss of Tocumwal and the struggle some most teams have when going thru the footy cycle, wha do people think of a relegation process rather then a permanent move. I only mention it as Tungahmah are dominating (from what ive heard) their comp, and could easily enough be competitive in the MFL while the wooden spooner might welcome the change in comp after a tuff season or 2. thinking not about Toc while their struggling but when their kids begin to mature and they can mix it in MFL again. but then again it could go te way of Shepp east who dominated and are now struggling. im happy to be corrected if im wrong, but interested in peoples opinion on it.
Next, RUMBA! As I said I've been away but from all reports the Game on the weekend against Deni was a Cracker. Off memory I believe it was the first time ever Rumba have beat Deni at home. I'm not much of a fan for night footy as I've got the whole family involved and by the start of the Seniors my kids become torture activists, in that they actively torture their mother, who in turn takes it out on me;) but should one be scheduled for an away game, I'm confident Rumba's supporters would turn out and support the event. Another "interesting" thing worth mentioning is there was a call made to someone at the club expressing an interest to want to come across to play. Some block named Sam Boxsomthing. Last I heard he was told, umm, no.......

This weeks round should be interesting, rumba vs Toc will have probably have rumbas strongest team this year. But I think Tonny is much better then they've shown so far and would anticipate a close a game as last week. Rumba by under a goal.
Moama vs Mul will be match of the round for mine, reckon Mul to win by 4 plus goals.
Deni vs Barooga, Demi to keep improving but Barooga the yard stick this year. Barooga by 3 goals.
Purps vs united, purps to strong, nathalia by 4 goals.
cobram vs Finley, Finley by 10 goals.
Blues vs the road. I think Numurkah will over come the road with their Ruck options, blues by 4 goals or less.
Good luck to everyone this weekend, #GoRumba

s**t didn't realise it was that long. Glad I didn't touch on inter league or gossip, sorry guys and girls.

Wasn't much of a crowd there on Saturday night? Seemed to be a lot more Deni supporters. I'm a fan of night footy! A lot of young up and coming country footballer never to get play under "lights" when they do they are up and about! Maybe enter organized for teams within to under an hours travel. Was a cracker of a game! Word of Peter Burgoyne playing for Rumba now. True??

Wasn't much of a crowd there on Saturday night? Seemed to be a lot more Deni supporters. I'm a fan of night footy! A lot of young up and coming country footballer never to get play under "lights" when they do they are up and about! Maybe enter organized for teams within to under an hours travel. Was a cracker of a game! Word of Peter Burgoyne playing for Rumba now. True??

Fair point Charmer.
But from what I've heard Burgoyne has been mentioned but I don't know much more then he's a possibility. Whether its for 1 or 2 games like Ackermanis used to or more permanent I have no idea. But on a side note I'd love to know where your getting your info from Charmer?? I'm in the circle and don't hear about these things till after the matter lol. Maybe I'm making that up and just wish I was in the circle!

^^^^ who cares about a bit of a late night, travel wise. I loved it from a spectator point of view and my son loved playing under the "lights". Personally I don't view it as doing Rumba a "favour" as it gaves us a change from the ordinary. Definately My favourite MFL game so far and even though it's only my sixth I thought I would be moping around having been PDFNL for a very long time yet here I am talking a game up.... Who would have thought that would happen ever, not me!! :eek::D

How's James philpott and smith going for barooga?

Both Smithy and Philpot are going along nicely. Been in the best 3 or 4 players every game so far. Not only that but are ripper blokes and good club people off the field, which is more than I can say for a few of the other big name recruits Barooga has had over the last few years - Jajoura, Harvey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back