Murray Newman

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if ASADA have the power to test for performance enhancing drugs on a prisoner?
Not saying Murray should or would use performance enhancing drugs whist in prison, but how would that affect his registration to an AFL club?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's still an afl listed player so would be required to let them know of his whereabouts (not difficult) and would still be required to submit to random testing should he be selected. In fact I'd suggest that if it's true ASADA do target certain players, Newman should be one if them

Not sure how the prison might treat a 6am random drug test visit though

Didn't you used to go for Richmond? Open your eyes, if you can.

Not sure why I'm tagged here by mod (Syd) but since I'm here I'll say it's a disgrace the Newman got gaol. Poor fella. Hopefully he can bounce back & his life isn't over.

Good luck for the year guys.

Thanks for the sentiment - however i think you will find that the vast majority of us think he got what he deserved

Thanks for the sentiment - however i think you will find that the vast majority of us think he got what he deserved
Yeah well that's just like your opinion, man.

Reading the Main Board (as I haven't read much of the posts here & surprised to be tagged) I think there are a still quite a few (far from a majority) who think that he got more than he deserved. I think most believe this will total fk his life, whether you sympathise with him or not.

Anyhow, good luck for the season. I'm sure you can't make as bad a start as us.

Yeah well that's just like your opinion, man.

Reading the Main Board (as I haven't read much of the posts here & surprised to be tagged) I think there are a still quite a few (far from a majority) who think that he got more than he deserved. I think most believe this will total fk his life, whether you sympathise with him or not.

Anyhow, good luck for the season. I'm sure you can't make as bad a start as us.

We had your start last year - we are really hoping we have passsed the shitbox disposal and shitty injury baton on - soz

More of a theoretical question than a likely one.
Would Murray qualify for a prisoner employment programme. I think there is a scheme that allows prisoners to apply for work release if they are eligible for parole in the next 6 mths and in min security. If Murray was to qualify for a program and his work was to play football... Could he play home games... Could he play interstate... Just throwing it out there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More of a theoretical question than a likely one.
Would Murray qualify for a prisoner employment programme. I think there is a scheme that allows prisoners to apply for work release if they are eligible for parole in the next 6 mths and in min security. If Murray was to qualify for a program and his work was to play football... Could he play home games... Could he play interstate... Just throwing it out there

We aren't that desperate for him to go down that path. If we did it we'd raise the ire of a lot of people seeing as it's an easy way out for Murray to serve time and still play footy.

Better to let him do his time, and in 6 months if he gets parole get him back in training and see what happens from there.

He's still an afl listed player so would be required to let them know of his whereabouts (not difficult) and would still be required to submit to random testing should he be selected. In fact I'd suggest that if it's true ASADA do target certain players, Newman should be one if them

Not sure how the prison might treat a 6am random drug test visit though

I'd say the prison has the power to drug test all inmates anyway. He probably waives any right in that respect when he signs the forms as he enters prison.

I'd say the prison has the power to drug test all inmates anyway. He probably waives any right in that respect when he signs the forms as he enters prison.

Are there really forms that need signing? What happens if a convicted person refuses to sign them? I figure there must just be a policy that this is a right which is forfeited by virtue of undergoing a prison sentence.

We aren't that desperate for him to go down that path. If we did it we'd raise the ire of a lot of people seeing as it's an easy way out for Murray to serve time and still play footy.
Better to let him do his time, and in 6 months if he gets parole get him back in training and see what happens from there.
On the flip side, with the way some AFL players have acted off-field in the past (not necessarily referring to Newman here), I bet some clubs would have loved a program where they could make certain players spend all their non-AFL time isolated in a cell...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it true that he's playing for the prison amateurs team this weekend?

After the game...

RT8FCpe.jpg

Does showing remorse carry much weight in the justice system? Or should it?

As opposed to not showing remorse - not pleading guilty and being an arrogant tosser who looks like he hasnt learned a thing

Prob yes

One shows that he has ****ed up and wont do it again - the other one shows that the lesson hasnt quite sunk in yet - and needs reinforcing

As opposed to not showing remorse - not pleading guilty and being an arrogant tosser who looks like he hasnt learned a thing

Prob yes

One shows that he has ****** up and wont do it again - the other one shows that the lesson hasnt quite sunk in yet - and needs reinforcing
I just mean that showing remorse in no way changes what has been done, and it isn't particularly hard to fake. Why you wouldn't show it even if you didn't feel it is beyond me.

Prob yes

One shows that he has ****** up and wont do it again - the other one shows that the lesson hasnt quite sunk in yet - and needs reinforcing

Williams didn't plead guilty either, a jury convicted him.

Remorse is a factor but not a huge one. I don't think it had nearly as much to do with Williams' lesser sentence as the circumstances of the offence.

He's a very lucky lad.

To be fair though, it didn't seem to be nearly as premeditated as Newman's hit.

Newman really shot himself in the foot by posting on facebook and telling people he would get him. Well, shot himself in the foot by doing that and then decking a block.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back