Murray Newman

Remove this Banner Ad

Did they have the same judge did they?

There is a reason why Williams went in the rookie draft and it wasn't talent related.

Sorry for intruding but pre-meditation is the difference between the 2 cases.Courts/judges frown upon that and go hard if there's proof a case is pre-meditated like Newman's was.Williams seemed more spur of the moment and out of character with the evidence provided, hence his sentence was suspended and Newman's wasn't.I don't know either of the lads that's just what I have read in the papers.

Come on now. Murray planned to assault his victim because he is a dickhead, plain and simple. And he is in goal as a result.

Planned? you're going further than the prosecution.

Sorry for intruding but pre-meditation is the difference between the 2 cases.Courts/judges frown upon that and go hard if there's proof a case is pre-meditated like Newman's was.Williams seemed more spur of the moment and out of character with the evidence provided, hence his sentence was suspended and Newman's wasn't.I don't know either of the lads that's just what I have read in the papers.

Assumed premeditation, had it been proven he'd tracked him to the night club he'd have got a much harsher sentence. That doesn't mean the threats aren't relevant to sentencing because it implies intent, but it does not need prove it. Courts aren't arbiters of truth and judgements are made upon relevant case material.

Sorry but Williams actions are in character and consistent with previous pre-draft form. In terms of social acceptability. Punching some random individual with limited provocation while drunk is a whole lot worse than punching someone who you actually hold something against while sober.

Last edited:

Assumed premeditation, had it been proven he'd tracked him to the night club he'd have got a much harsher sentence. That doesn't mean the threats aren't relevant to sentencing because it implies intent, but it does not need prove it. Courts aren't arbiters of truth and judgements are made upon relevant case material.

Sorry but Williams actions are in character and consistent with previous pre-draft form. In terms of social acceptability. Punching some random individual with limited provocation while drunk is a whole lot worse than punching someone who you actually hold something against while sober.

Well, that depends on why you hold something against them. Newman's actions could indicate that he doesn't respect that his ex's love life is hers to deal with and not his business anymore. Getting repeatedly threatened and then punched because I'm dating someone would piss me off more than being punched because I shouted at an angry drunk guy in a bar.

Wasn't one of the things which worked against Newman the fact that he was less drunk than his victim, and still started the fight anyway?

I'm just looking forward to WAAFL thread when he gets out on the park for the Swans Prison team. If anyone wants to do WAAFL reports that'd be great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he said he wanted to be a fire fighter ER which is why he got spared ;)

Jailed West Coast Eagles rookie Murray Newman has embarked on a vigorous training program in jail in the hope of a quick return to afl football next year.
But the Eagles do not want the 20-year-old, who was jailed for assult , to play for a prison side fearing he could get rough treatment from opponents .
Former North Melbourne and South Fremantle forward Warren Campbell , the son of WA football legend Basil Capmbell , is running weekly training sessions with Newman and a handful of other inmates at Wandoo Reintegration Facility , Murdoch.
The sessions include an hour of education , covering topics such as the AFL's Respect and Responsibility policy and handball and kicking drills .

Murray follows an intense strength and conditioning program given to him by West Coast . Fitness was a question mark for Newman before being jailed and Mr Campbell ( Warren Campbell - Lawyer and Coach Wooroloo Prison team ) works on it almost every day .

"He was pretty sore yesterday , actually" he said . "Its very full on and he struggles with it because he cant eat what he would on the outside to fuel him ".

Though the Eagles do not want Newman to play at week-ends because of possible injury , he was waiting to hear if he could join the squad at Wooroloo training on Tuesdays and Thursdays .

West Coast keeping tabs on Newman by the sounds of it and a second chance could be available for Newman in 2015 !

Not specifically targetted at yourself but i just love bullshit comments like this. Obviously nobody here has ever thought about or heaven help them if they have ever thrown a fist in anger.

Throwing your fist in anger and telling someone over Facebook you're going to bash them and then going to the club they're at and breaking their jaw is two different things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back