Muscle/Weight Gain Journey - Tips, Advice?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hey guys,

I've just finished my exams for the semester so I'll have a lot of spare time in the next month and a half before uni starts up again, SO I'd like to do something productive, make a change and get into weightlifting in a hope to gain some weight (and possibly some confidence?).

I'm currently 181cm and hovering around the 65Kg mark (My posture looks questionable.. I'm not sure if I always stand like that :S).

IMG_1933_SmallerFile.jpg

I have a basic gym setup; bench, a rack for benching/squatting, and around 80kg in weight plates.

At the moment my only exercise is cycling; around 10km a couple times a week (weather permitting), and my diet is pretty good, although I'm guessing i don't eat enough.

I'd love any advice on diet, workout routines.. And hope to use this thread to monitor and update progress as I go. Have at it.
Thanks!

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Hey guys,

I've just finished my exams for the semester so I'll have a lot of spare time in the next month and a half before uni starts up again, SO I'd like to do something productive, make a change and get into weightlifting in a hope to gain some weight (and possibly some confidence?).

I'm currently 181cm and hovering around the 65Kg mark (My posture looks questionable.. I'm not sure if I always stand like that :S).

View attachment 144143

I have a basic gym setup; bench, a rack for benching/squatting, and around 80kg in weight plates.

At the moment my only exercise is cycling; around 10km a couple times a week (weather permitting), and my diet is pretty good, although I'm guessing i don't eat enough.

I'd love any advice on diet, workout routines.. And hope to use this thread to monitor and update progress as I go. Have at it.
Thanks!

Good stuff, well most people jump here to get advice on weight loss so you are bucking the trend. But the principles remain the same for either fat loss or muscle gains. Consistency is key with diet and training.

Firstly get you calories and protein being key.

Just doing some rough calculations based on your height and current, i'd estimate your BMR (basal metabolic rate) how many calories you would burn if you laid in bed all day around 1715, now adding in extra calories burnt through getting around during the day, exercise etc. This will bump up your maintenance calories to 2650. So this approx the point at where you will maintain your weight based on your new exercise regime (maintenance calories).

I'd suggest eating around 3000 calories per day, after a couple of weeks if you feel you are not gaining any size then up them by another 150 calories.

Protein get in around 1.5g per pound of body weight. For you this will be 143 pounds x 1.5g = 215 grams of protein. Split this up over 5 meals ideally, if not just eat when you can if three meals suits your lifestyle then do that.

The rest of you calories come from fats and carbs. 25% of you calories from fats this is around 83g of fat (peanut butter is my go to!) Now the remaining calories come from carbs this will be 350g.

You will need to do a bit of googling to get the macro make up of food, but because you are trying to gain size you won't need to be overly fussy with calorie intake.

As for gym;

3 days a week x full body

3 sets x 8-12 Reps
Squats
Deadlift
Bench
Military press
Bicep exercise
Tricep exercise

^ Good advice here.

As someone who's been in the OP's situation a few years ago (started at about 60kg in got up to 70kg) I'd add that you should read up on and consume mostly complex carbs (as opposed to simple carbs). Your research will tell you why.

Also learn to cook and enjoy eating kangaroo meat (ideally the steak or fillets) as it's a great source of protein and it's very lean.

Research into how you can naturally increase your testosterone levels. Just the act of lifting weights stimulates its production but there are certain foods that do also (or at least help by blocking estrogen).

Supplements (the non-Essendon variety) will help if you use them properly. Protein powder is not a replacement for natural sources of protein - that's why it's called a supplement.

When it comes to your workout I found working out what the maximum weight I could do each particular exercise for 6-8 reps was best. Do your first 2 sets and then for your last set do it until you can't do the movement with proper form (research proper form or you'll injure yourself and give up). In my case I found it better for me to lift heavier weights for less reps (eg. 60kg x 6 reps = 360kg moved in a set was better than 40kg x 9 reps for the same weight moved in a set. But wouldn't go less than 6 reps).

Sorry my advice isn't more detailed but I'm not an expert so I just want to keep it general. I recommend you follow up and do your own research into this stuff so you're comfortable and confident that what you're doing is safe and going to work for you.

Good luck!

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
^ Good advice here.

As someone who's been in the OP's situation a few years ago (started at about 60kg in got up to 70kg) I'd add that you should read up on and consume mostly complex carbs (as opposed to simple carbs). Your research will tell you why.

Also learn to cook and enjoy eating kangaroo meat (ideally the steak or fillets) as it's a great source of protein and it's very lean.

Research into how you can naturally increase your testosterone levels. Just the act of lifting weights stimulates its production but there are certain foods that do also (or at least help by blocking estrogen).

Supplements (the non-Essendon variety) will help if you use them properly. Protein powder is not a replacement for natural sources of protein - that's why it's called a supplement.

When it comes to your workout I found working out what the maximum weight I could do each particular exercise for 6-8 reps was best. Do your first 2 sets and then for your last set do it until you can't do the movement with proper form (research proper form or you'll injure yourself and give up). In my case I found it better for me to lift heavier weights for less reps (eg. 60kg x 6 reps = 360kg moved in a set was better than 40kg x 9 reps for the same weight moved in a set. But wouldn't go less than 6 reps).

Sorry my advice isn't more detailed but I'm not an expert so I just want to keep it general. I recommend you follow up and do your own research into this stuff so you're comfortable and confident that what you're doing is safe and going to work for you.

Good luck!

All good stuff, the only "downside" to kangaroo is baically no fat in it which when bulking isn't great fats are essential and underrated when bulking. But nothing a serving of avocado or spoonful of peanut butter can't fix.

In regards to supps for the OP i'd just go with;

Whey protein isolate/concentrate what ever the budget permits
Creatine
BCCA's

I couldn't recommend Bulk Nutrients any higher!

All good stuff, the only "downside" to kangaroo is baically no fat in it which when bulking isn't great fats are essential and underrated when bulking. But nothing a serving of avocado or spoonful of peanut butter can't fix.

In regards to supps for the OP i'd just go with;

Whey protein isolate/concentrate what ever the budget permits
Creatine
BCCA's

I couldn't recommend Bulk Nutrients any higher!
Second that Bulk Nutrients recommendation. Great value, no-nonsense quality products.

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
As for gym;

3 days a week x full body

3 sets x 8-12 Reps
Squats
Deadlift
Bench
Military press
Bicep exercise
Tricep exercise

ok so i typed about 10 lines and realised i should just post what i'd have you do as a client in my studio...and i'm thinking you have limited or not a great deal of gym experience

session 1

goblet squat 3 x 5 + 1 x 8 - 12 at a lower wt paired with chin up x "x' amount of reps depending on how many you can do
push ups (work through progressions until you can do 20 from the floor then bring in bench press) paired with deadlifts 5 x 3 learning technique
step up x 8 - 12 paired with row variation x 8 - 12

session 2

deadlift 3 x 3 + 1 x 5 - 6 at a lower wt paired with 1 db shoulder press x 8 - 12
goblet squat 3 x 8 - 12 paired with chin ups
reverse lunge x 6 - 10 paired with rows

alternate through them x 3 - 4/week adding reps/sets before load

BrockBlitz

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
ok so i typed about 10 lines and realised i should just post what i'd have you do as a client in my studio...and i'm thinking you have limited or not a great deal of gym experience

session 1

goblet squat 3 x 5 + 1 x 8 - 12 at a lower wt paired with chin up x "x' amount of reps depending on how many you can do
push ups (work through progressions until you can do 20 from the floor then bring in bench press) paired with deadlifts 5 x 3 learning technique
step up x 8 - 12 paired with row variation x 8 - 12

session 2

deadlift 3 x 3 + 1 x 5 - 6 at a lower wt paired with 1 db shoulder press x 8 - 12
goblet squat 3 x 8 - 12 paired with chin ups
reverse lunge x 6 - 10 paired with rows

alternate through them x 3 - 4/week adding reps/sets before load

Love the lower level start point. After watching Rippetoe teaching squats, I've never started with anything other than a goblet for the value it has in correcting squat mechanics.

On a side note, I'm finding rack position reverse lunges really goof for my dodgy knees.

pilot4

Draftee
Aug 21, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Basically I follow some method to keep me healthy and fit. I’m going for Gym 5-6 times/week and my weekly goal is to burn 2500 calories, which I beat most of the weeks. I'd like to lose 7-8 kg (already lost around 5kg) and have a lean but not too muscular body. Therefor I go to spinning classes (3-4 times), twice Boxing, once Bodypump and once Bodyshape. I did a looooooot of "research" how VS Models are training :)

As a support I use some mobile apps that help me to burn my calories, exercise and I can trust what I eat.

Here these apps are follows:

-Calorie Counter (count burned calorie)

-BMI Calculator (measure weight)

-InRFood Shopping (I can trust what I eat)

-Nike + Running (Help me in my exercise)

-FitStar Personal (Classes & Trainers)

-Sleepio (For Good Sleep)

-Strava Running and Cycling (For Cyclists)

-HeadSpace (Meditation & Mindfulness)

Jun 23, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hello everyone!

Thanks for all the tips and advice and I apologise for falling off the radar.
I thought it was about time I gave an update on my progress. I've officially completed my first 12 week program block ever. The program was a upper/lower split, training 4 times per week (mon - bench, tues - squat, thurs - OH, fri - Deads), focusing on compound lifts as well as some complimentary exercises too.
At the beginning of this program (6 July) I weighed 63.8Kg, at its conclusion (28 Sep) I weighed 71.5Kg, a gain of 7.5Kgs!!

Ive now moved on to a new program - Stronglifts 5x5 and am currently in week 3 of that, weighing 72.3Kg (12 Oct) a gain of just under 1Kg.

Dieting has been the most challenging aspect of this journey thus far, consuming 3000 odd calories (3340 currently - ive been increasing them weekly according to my new weight) per day is a challenge when you don't have the biggest appetite in the world. Peanut butter supplemented protein shakes (shout out to Bulk Nutrients as recommended, good quality cheap Aussie protein) have been a help hahaha. Phone Apps, im using EasyDietDiary, have made the process super easy, just scan barcodes and input the weight consumed - too easy, they also have a pretty good catalogue of "home cooked" meals such as pasta dishes n what not. Definitely recommended.

Ive been using the following link to track my 1RMs - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/other7.htm.

Bench: 53kg, 60Kg (currently).
OH: 34Kg, 45Kg (Currently).
Squat: 64Kg, 82Kg (Currently).
Deadlift: 70Kg, 98Kg (Currently).

So all in all I'm getting stronger and bigger, +8.5Kg thus far (obviously some fat too), and its pretty awesome to see some results. I've actually grown a butt, yay for filling out your pants! Shirts are feeling tighter too! My initial goal was 75Kg but now I'm thinking 80Kg.

NOTE: Ive still got this shoulder imbalance thing going on - does anyone know what this is? I may go see my GP about it.

IMG_2180.jpg IMG_2181.jpg IMG_2182.jpg IMG_2183.jpg

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
It's presents as a shoulder imbalance but I'd say it's a tight lat on the low side pulling you down

Do this:

While breathing hard through your belly and into the side of your ribs...the low arm hand is holding the bar

Do 10 or so breathes and recheck in the mirrow

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
It's presents as a shoulder imbalance but I'd say it's a tight lat on the low side pulling you down

Do this:

While breathing hard through your belly and into the side of your ribs...the low arm hand is holding the bar

Do 10 or so breathes and recheck in the mirrow

So your leaning away and out to stretch the Kat I probably should add

If the "shoulder imbalance" is your right (our left looking at you in photo) shoulder looking smaller than the other in the first photo I think that is just due to the angle of the photo.

I'm on my phone and if I rotate it slightly so the lines of your torso both run directly down and the tips of your toes form a balanced horizontal line your shoulders then look equal/balanced.

Hard to tell from just that photo though.

Jun 23, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So your leaning away and out to stretch the Kat I probably should add
Okay, Ill give that stretch a go tonight. Cheers!

If the "shoulder imbalance" is your right (our left looking at you in photo) shoulder looking smaller than the other in the first photo I think that is just due to the angle of the photo.

I'm on my phone and if I rotate it slightly so the lines of your torso both run directly down and the tips of your toes form a balanced horizontal line your shoulders then look equal/balanced.

Hard to tell from just that photo though.
Its not a muscle imbalance per se, that side isn't weaker... it just naturally sits lower. According to my sister "that's how you always stand".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, Ill give that stretch a go tonight. Cheers!

Its not a muscle imbalance per se, that side isn't weaker... it just naturally sits lower. According to my sister "that's how you always stand".
I should've said lower. They do look the same size. And like I said, if you rotate the photo slightly so that the rest of your body are in line with the vertical and horizontal they're actually quite even. But like I also said it's hard to tell from one photo. You'll have a better idea standing in front of the mirror.

Jun 23, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I should've said lower. They do look the same size. And like I said, if you rotate the photo slightly so that the rest of your body are in line with the vertical and horizontal they're actually quite even. But like I also said it's hard to tell from one photo. You'll have a better idea standing in front of the mirror.
You're right about the pic being a little crooked, i've straightened it up and drawn some guidelines in just to highlight the issue (top of nipple and collarbone).

IMG_2180-guides copy.jpg

You're right about the pic being a little crooked, i've straightened it up and drawn some guidelines in just to highlight the issue (top of nipple and collarbone).

View attachment 184190
There is still a little difference there in the end. But I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it if the exercise suggested above doesn't fix it. Nice work on what you've achieved :thumbsu:

Jun 23, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There is still a little difference there in the end. But I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it if the exercise suggested above doesn't fix it. Nice work on what you've achieved :thumbsu:
Haha yea, Im being a tad obsessive. I'll give that stretch a crack later on and see how it goes.
Thanks mate!

Jun 23, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Hey mate!
Hovering around 74kgs at the moment, I'll be getting back into the swing of things this coming week, it would have been hard to train and count cals etc with the holiday season + a trip up to Yarrawonga for a week.

Here's a pic from last week + one from July. I tried to copy the pose to get a good idea of the difference.

6e9b35bb256abdf89f035cc8605d2680.jpg

d51d317d819fe80c162251a7fb554d16.jpg

I'll get back onto my original hypertrophy program, upper lower 4 day split. I've also started doing yoga in the mornings in an attempt to improve my flexibility (#resolution), the body is feeling good!

I'll post an update around this time next month.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gelooong

Senior List
May 30, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows, Womens Crows
Hey mate!
Hovering around 74kgs at the moment, I'll be getting back into the swing of things this coming week, it would have been hard to train and count cals etc with the holiday season + a trip up to Yarrawonga for a week.

Here's a pic from last week + one from July. I tried to copy the pose to get a good idea of the difference.

6e9b35bb256abdf89f035cc8605d2680.jpg

d51d317d819fe80c162251a7fb554d16.jpg

I'll get back onto my original hypertrophy program, upper lower 4 day split. I've also started doing yoga in the mornings in an attempt to improve my flexibility (#resolution), the body is feeling good!

I'll post an update around this time next month.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey bud. Going through some old threads and found this one. Are you still bulking up and going to the gym?

I read through the thread and your situation is very similar to mine atm. Very curious to hear how your going now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back