Remove this Banner Ad

hawker92

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do you play a musical instrument?

If so, which instrument? How long have you been playing for? What genre of music is your favourite?

Post below! Also share details regarding equipment if desired.

I'll kick it off - I've been playing guitar for 5 years and enjoy indie rock, alternative rock, blues and jazz. I also attempt to play piano. My pride and joy is my Peavey VYPYR 75 - the volume is incredible!

aaah yes, now we're talking

Gee-tar, myself.

About 27 years playing.

Currently owning...(photos not mine, just internet images)

face5sj3.jpg

Yamaha Mike Stern Pacifica 1511 (Seymours Dunduns 59 and HotRails stock)

200249677527-1.jpg

Yamaha Pacifica 912 (SDs stock again)

hamer.satfp90hb.jpg

Hamer SATFP90 (pickups replaced with Wilkinson P90s)

1-034-034539-Cort-CL-1000.jpg

Cort CL1000 (with Tonerider split-coils)

bigWi14WA.jpg

Washburn Idol WI14 (stock humbuckers replaced by Wilkinsons again)

3633693670_ebc162bcf7.jpg

A mongrel Tele I put together that looks like this, Tonerider Vintage Plus singles...and the headstock logo says Eldorado instead of Fender:D

IMG_2552.jpg

A Gold Top copy, with a DiMarzio SuperDistortion (p90 size)in the bridge, looks similar to this one

SquierDeluxeStrat022.jpg

Squier Deluxe Strat

100_0149.jpg

The latest, a hollow body Yamaha AEX520
CrateVFX5212T.jpg

Crate VFX5212 valve combo, with 2x12 extension cab (main amp, beautiful)

_wsb_437x330_laney-vc50.jpg

Laney VC100 valve combo (don't use this one much anymore, since I got the Crate, but cant bring myself to ditch it)

Picture%203_0.png

Hayden Peacemaker 60 tube combo (bought for only $150, not because I needed another one)

takamine%20en10c.jpg

Takamine EN10C )I've got two of these)

plus an old bass, two more old acoustics, a mandolin, a couple of cheaper copies, and other s**t.

I also have this t-shirt
you_can_never_have_too_many_guitars_t_shirt-p235218437521153009trym_210.jpg

bwahahahaha!!! guitars guitars guitars!!!!

That is quite an impressive collection, I like the sound of a mongrel tele. I'm saving for a Tele myself.

what kind of music do you play?

Aah yes, I am a guitar nut, and I played drums throughout high school too. I've been playing guitar for about 15 years and studied theory. I'm basically into three styles - metal, blues and acoustic, but have been heading for the acoustic more and more as I've got older. Although I spend as much time doing modal excercises etc and applying it to peices of music as I do playing particular styles. This is the equipment I currently own and use:

1979%20LPS%20SB%201.jpg

gibsonsgstandard.jpg

resize

All from the Gibson family the Les Paul is standard while the other electrics have both been heavily modified. Both the V and SG have EMG pick-ups, while the V has also had a Floyd Rose Trem added.

Cole_Clark.jpg

CPX700.jpg

Acoustics are a Cole Clark FatLady and a Yamaha CPX700. The FL is a nice old dreadnaught while the CPX is a mini-jumbo. I'm currently in the market to add another acoustic to the collection, looking at a Breedlove or a Takermine Jumbo at this stage.

MarshallAVT100.gif

I have heaps of stompboxes - too many to list but basically use an Ibanez Tubescreamer, Dunlop Wylde Wah and Boss Delay most often. I also have a vintage Rogers drumkit with a full set of Paiste cymbols. 2x Hats, 2x Crash, 1x Ride, 1x Splash, 1x Chinaboy. The kit is similiar to this model although it has a 24" bass drum and deeper snare.

RogersSet.jpg

Hawker92 said:
what kind of music do you play?

Pretty much try anything with guitars in it, apart from math/speed metal or noodly jazz...because my technique/theory is not up to it. :)

If I had to describe my playing...at it's best... I'd hope it would be Rory Gallagher-esque. At it's worst...Fred Durst-like :cool:

Elec Guitar. But I play by ear.

Have been mucking about on mine for the last 10 years, writing songs and covering stuff.

I play mostly hard rock, metal and alternative tunes.

Also love a bash on the drums, but I don't own any.

Plus I sing.

Picked up the guitar at high school about 25yrs ago. Had a bit of music theory in my early years with piano lessons (still like to muck around on that from time to time, but very limited), but mainly play by ear and had a talented kid at school who was in a band and showed me the basics. Play all sorts of styles, just whatever I like the sound of. Big Hendrix fan but don't pretend to be able to attempt his fantastically intricate and melodic pieces that I love. Of late I've been inspired by some of the postings in the What are you Currently Listening To thread.... Homeward Bound, Here Comes The Sun, Eye On The Prize, plus some Jack Johnson and a few others with a finger picking acoustic style (thanks to picking up an acoustic late last year). Also been getting into a few ZZ Top and Eagles lead riffs for fun. I've been using YouTube a bit these days along with chordie.com to nail things down. There is a lot of crap out there, but if you hunt around there are a few people who have some cracking tutorials.

On the equipment front. Started out with a dodgy second hand Ibinez iteration with a Floyd Rose bridge and a little Peavy amp, before saving up enough for black Fender strat. Then some lowlife prick broke into the house I was sharing with a couple of mates and made off with the lot (read the story about the recovered Les Paul in the States through eBay and have been thinking about digging out the serial number from the back room). But anyway all was not lost as the dodgy guitar was over insured, so used the payout to pick up my dream guitar, a sunburst Gibson Les Paul Standard (exactly like Rioli Magic's pic) and also picked up a Fender Champion 110 amp. Never been happy with the clean channel on the amp but just put an order in for a Celestion G10 greenback speaker after reading on a number of sites that it'll make all the difference... stand by for the verdict.

Played less and less in recent years due to not having the equipment set up permanently, so for my 40th last year I treated myself to a Martin D15. Not a classic look with the darker timber, but a beautifully rich and strong sound. There is hardly a day goes by without it being played.

I'm currently in the market to add another acoustic to the collection, looking at a Breedlove or a Takermine Jumbo at this stage.

RM, you should seriously check out the Martin D15. I spent a couple of hours at the South Melbourne Acoustic Centre and just kept coming back to it. It's the cheapest solid body Martin. Still not cheap, but for the money, the sound is just phenomenal. The only thing to get over is the dark mahogany finish, which isn't for everyone, but something I've fallen for.

A few reviews here
http://www.maurysmusic.com/martin_d_15___rate_and_review

d15.jpg

RM, you should seriously check out the Martin D15. I spent a couple of hours at the South Melbourne Acoustic Centre and just kept coming back to it. It's the cheapest solid body Martin. Still not cheap, but for the money, the sound is just phenomenal. The only thing to get over is the dark mahogany finish, which isn't for everyone, but something I've fallen for.

A few reviews here
http://www.maurysmusic.com/martin_d_15___rate_and_review

Thanks mate will do, I think I'd actually like the dark finish TBH. I certainly haven't narrowed it down to those 2 I mentioned, they're just on the wish-list with alot of others. Always thought Martin's would be way too expensive but from all reports they are just phenomenal. One of my favourite players Laurence Juber swears by them - great player check him out if you don't know him, played in Wings with Paul McCartney. You said you were into Jimi here's his version of Little Wing.

[youtube]m_HY4Vmgx4I&feature=related[/youtube]

Thanks mate will do, I think I'd actually like the dark finish TBH. I certainly haven't narrowed it down to those 2 I mentioned, they're just on the wish-list with alot of others. Always thought Martin's would be way too expensive but from all reports they are just phenomenal. One of my favourite players Laurence Juber swears by them - great player check him out if you don't know him, played in Wings with Paul McCartney. You said you were into Jimi here's his version of Little Wing.

I thought the same. Went in with a $2K budget and looking for a nice solid timber guitar but thinking the good Martin's were way out of my range. Had a look at a few makes as well as a couple of laminate Martin's in my price range. Asked what I could get with a little bit extra and out came the D15. They cut me a sweet deal and ended up only paying about $450 over..... so glad I went the extra little bit.

I haven't heard much of Laurence Juber. Heard the name, but haven't caught up on his playing. I like it a lot, thanks ! I like all of Jimi's work, but it's his more melodic pieces I like the best.... Little Wing, Castles Made of Sand, Bold as Love to name but just a few. Interestingly, the only piece I really don't like is his famous Star Spangled Banner rendition..... his finale to the Woodstock gig is just brilliant however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Jazz, anything from the old style Funk Jazz, to Afro-Cuban Jazz, Modern Jazz, Acid Jazz and Latin Jazz.
I like the Blues(not many people enjoy this type of music) but i love the sound of the Harmonica played with feeling.
Also like any type of Rock music from the 60's to modern.
I also listen and dance to a particular music genre which not many people are familiar with "Rebetika" - "the Blues of the mediterranean".

Tried playing the Clarinet at secondary school( i was bloody hopeless) trying to impress my dad that i can play some folk songs form the old country.

Has anyone ever attempted playing the Clarinet? I think a very difficult instrument to master.

Clarinet(1).jpg

Interestingly, the only piece I really don't like is his famous Star Spangled Banner rendition..... his finale to the Woodstock gig is just brilliant however.

Yeah I'm not a fan of his SSB either, but I do know the finale you're talking about. I have an old VHS of Woodstock and the end/credits is Jimi playing that peice. Sounds great and sounds like it could only be coming from one man, it's just Hendrix through and through. The visual to the peice is quite good too as it goes through the "aftermath" of Woodstock when everyone has left and shows what remained of the blokes farm - s**t, mud, clothing, drugs, random people scattered around and a massive clean up ahead.

I love Jazz, anything from the old style Funk Jazz, to Afro-Cuban Jazz, Modern Jazz, Acid Jazz and Latin Jazz.

I'm not a big Jazz fan but I am into a bloke called Dave Weckl who plays Jazz Fusion. I guess it's a Jazz/Rock hybrid and he's just a great drummer as all Jazz folk are. The band is called Dave Weckl Band have you heard of them? I also like Al Di Meola who some class as Jazz but I think it more just guitar virtuoso TBH, and love the old song "summmertime" as it was one of the peices I played for my year 12 assessment.

Arkadia said:
Has anyone ever attempted playing the Clarinet? I think a very difficult instrument to master.

God no!! My cousin plays but it's out of my league. Great sounding but from watching her I just put it in the too-hard basket and stuck with the strings. The only "wind" type intrument I try and play is the Didge and I'm not good at that. :eek:

I'm not a big Jazz fan but I am into a bloke called Dave Weckl who plays Jazz Fusion. I guess it's a Jazz/Rock hybrid and he's just a great drummer as all Jazz folk are. The band is called Dave Weckl Band have you heard of them? I also like Al Di Meola who some class as Jazz but I think it more just guitar virtuoso TBH, and love the old song "summmertime" as it was one of the peices I played for my year 12 assessment.

Both Great musical Artists -Meola comes from the Latin Jazz school with rock compilation into his style and David Wecki, who by the way is a brilliant drummer, if people can get a chance go to his website.
Well done, i am glad that you enjoy these two musicians :thumbsu:

I've been playing guitar for a bit over two years now. Just been trying to teach myself so am not too great.

I originally bought a Squier Strat (which now sits in a cupboard waiting for my nephew to get old enough to play it). After about a year I bought a sunburst Fender Strat which is back home in Brissie and i'm missing alot right now. Absolutely beautiful looking guitar! I just bought a Fender accoustic to keep me busy. I'm thinking of buying a mexican Tele in the near future.

My two favourite bands are RHCP and Led Zeppelin, neither of which are easy to learn! I generally like 60s/70s rock. Also some modern stuff like Muse, The Living End etc.

My two favourite bands are RHCP and Led Zeppelin, neither of which are easy to learn! I generally like 60s/70s rock. Also some modern stuff like Muse, The Living End etc.

Here's an easy Zeppelin song for you Sixpence.

[YOUTUBE]S83v3t1uzk8[/YOUTUBE]

Here's an easy Zeppelin song for you Sixpence.

Thanks for that...never really had a serious go at this...the slide are quite simple when you see them.

I just missed out on this on Ebay...a cheaper Gretsch

002029000006.jpg

I'm not normally into gold hardware, but it looks sweet on a Gretsch

I want to get one and trick it up with a Bigsby and TV Jones pickups like this guy...

[YOUTUBE]oyOkuuA8qEA&p=250224831ECB095D[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for that...never really had a serious go at this...the slide are quite simple when you see them.

I just missed out on this on Ebay...a cheaper Gretsch

I'm not normally into gold hardware, but it looks sweet on a Gretsch

I want to get one and trick it up with a Bigsby and TV Jones pickups like this guy...
It doesn't take long to get those slides sorted. I found getting the picking right took the longest... actually easier without the plectrum.

Yeah, there's something about that classic white and gold of a Gretsch. Looks like a nice little project Eldorado!! Let us know when you land one.

Played the bagpipes at school for 5 years (went to Scotch College). Amazing instrument, sometimes wish I had kept going. Pretty sure the neighbours are happy I didn't.

Also played the piano for 4 years.

Self taught (sort of) hack, play alot of Pearl Jam, Powderfinger covers etc. Usually about 30secs or so then i get bored and play the next song I want to :p

Epiphone SG Special
gibson%20sg%20guitar-332552506756659320.jpg

Roland Microcube - this things is unbelievable for it's size & cost:
Roland_Microcube_49e86d5774197.jpg

1277136857_101154815_4-Roland-Microcube-RM-400-Musical-Instruments.jpg

Well, I finally got around to replacing the speaker in my Fender Champion 110 amp. Replaced the stock Fender model with a Celestion G10 Greenback.

g10_greenback.png

Couldn't be happier! It's just transformed.

The clean channel output used to be pitchy and anything over 2 on the levels would distort way too easily. It's now a rich beautiful sounding box.

Yeh i got a few.

P5160005.jpg

P5160006.jpg

I can play most things, was a lead guitar wizard in my youth, been playing for 20 odd years, but gave it up for a while so have lost it a bit, got back ointo it a couple of years ago and brought out a death metal type homemade album with some mates last year.

Unfortunately our bassist/singer was hit by a car and killed 2 weeks b4 we finished the album and our guitarist got a chick in brissy pregnant and moved up there, so not playing much anymore.

can buy our album here if your interested :D

http://adarkplace.com.au/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back