Musical Instruments

Remove this Banner Ad

Was in my local Allan's outlet, looking for a new guitar. Had two types in mind - Tele and Strat.

Tried the Tele, didn't like the feel of it or how it played. Asked the assistant for a Strat. He brings over a Mexican Strat ($750) and an American Strat ($1500).

Plugged the American into a Frontman, one of the big ones, and gave it a 8/10.

Tried the Mexican in the same amp, and almost at the same time, the assistant and I said "That sounds better than the US". I played around with the Mexican, selecting different pickups and what not and was sold on it. Ended up buying it for half the price of the US, and it sounded twice as good!

Was in my local Allan's outlet, looking for a new guitar. Had two types in mind - Tele and Strat.

Tried the Tele, didn't like the feel of it or how it played. Asked the assistant for a Strat. He brings over a Mexican Strat ($750) and an American Strat ($1500).

Plugged the American into a Frontman, one of the big ones, and gave it a 8/10.

Tried the Mexican in the same amp, and almost at the same time, the assistant and I said "That sounds better than the US". I played around with the Mexican, selecting different pickups and what not and was sold on it. Ended up buying it for half the price of the US, and it sounded twice as good!

:thumbsu:

Our dollar is going great guns at the moment...good prices to be had on decent guitars

If you want to have a bit of fun with things check this out.

I've just picked up a Griffin Guitar cable for my iPhone.

guitar_connect_cable-1.jpg

They make the iShred app, but the Amplitube Free or Full versions gives a far superior sound IMO. The guys that make Amplitube also have an iRig cable, but the Griffin one is a bit sleeker.

AT-iPhone-Static-Trailer.jpg

Anyway, I stumped up for the full version of Amplitube as well as the Fender gear option. Just a great package to plug into and play. The amp models are as close to the real things as you'll get and the stomp boxes are spot on too (I work with a muso who rekons the same). If you want to share, you can hook into powered speakers or through your stereo to great effect.

The cable would be great to use through Garageband on an iPad, which my workmate does. Although he has the iRig.

I did have thoughts of using the app as an effects box, but the sound through an amp isn't great. I think it's essentially pugging an amp output into an amp input. That aside, it's a great way to practice or get the sound without spending thousands on the gear.

Also, I'm interested in developing my lead theory a bit more, after listening to Paul Waggoner from Between the Buried and Me.

Can anyone post links for good practice exercises? Sweeps, shredding etc?

Bump!

What musical ventures/purchases/experiences have people been getting up to lately?

Getting into a bit Led Zeppelin lately Hawker. Having fun leaning these two...

[YOUTUBE]7tSa7dBE1W0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]g21OSkwE1j0[/YOUTUBE]

Getting into a bit Led Zeppelin lately Hawker. Having fun leaning these two...

[youtube]7tSa7dBE1W0[/youtube]

[youtube]g21OSkwE1j0[/youtube]

Very nice!

Me being born on the same day as Jimmy Page resulted in a love for Led Zep.

That version of Rock n Roll has a wicked solo. Also, that guitar being used in the Black Dog video - an interesting mix with the humbucker/ single coil humbucker combination.

Also, that guitar being used in the Black Dog video - an interesting mix with the humbucker/ single coil humbucker combination.

The neck pickup?

I don't think that's a single, Hawker...more likely your classic PAF-style humbucker.

The neck pickup?

I don't think that's a single, Hawker...more likely your classic PAF-style humbucker.

Apologies, I should have worded that better.

The bridge pickup was the one that I thought looked like two single coils..sorry for the confusion!

Apologies, I should have worded that better.

The bridge pickup was the one that I thought looked like two single coils..sorry for the confusion!

Aaah, I re-read your post, I misread it totally.

I'm not a fan of the exposed poles and bobbins look...give me the nickel humbucker any day.

BTW, For those thinking of upgrading any pickups, humbuckers, singles, P90s, whatever...investigate Toneriders.

Seymour Duncan quality at bargain basement prices*

*Not a paid endorsement

Got a ridiculous bargain on Gumtree today...

Picture%203_0.png

Hayden Peacemaker.

All tube, 2 channel, Class A, 60 watt, 2 x 12"

$150!!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

The guy said it crackled, and he couldn't be bothered fixing it. Took it to a mates, took the tubes out, put them back in...no crackle.

In brand new condition. They listed for about $1600 when they were produced.

I'm a happy little drunk tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got a ridiculous bargain on Gumtree today...

Picture%203_0.png

Hayden Peacemaker.

All tube, 2 channel, Class A, 60 watt, 2 x 12"

$150!!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

The guy said it crackled, and he couldn't be bothered fixing it. Took it to a mates, took the tubes out, put them back in...no crackle.

In brand new condition. They listed for about $1600 when they were produced.

I'm a happy little drunk tonight.

Nice one Eldo! Been giving it a workout?

Can't believe the guy couldn't be bothered fixing it, although I'm one to talk. Been putting up with a dodgy output jack on my Les Paul for years. Finally had enough a month ago and took it down to Deluxe Guitars in South Melb. They checked the setup at the same time... turns out the neck was twisted as well. Should have done it ages ago.... $80 bucks and it's a dream now.

Can't believe the guy couldn't be bothered fixing it, although I'm one to talk. Been putting up with a dodgy output jack on my Les Paul for years. Finally had enough a month ago and took it down to Deluxe Guitars in South Melb. They checked the setup at the same time... turns out the neck was twisted as well. Should have done it ages ago.... $100 bucks and it's a dream now.

I have an old Yamaha, pretty much my favourite axe for the last 15 years, that I didn't play for about 2 years, because of crackling pots.

Finally, I decided to buy some contact spray from Jaycar.

$6, and approximately 15 seconds of labour later, it was perfect.
facepalm.gif

Any Melbourne based Hawkers wanting to get a jamming collective happening?

My only musical outlet these days is one day a month, down in the country (Yanakie, a 2 hour drive away). I'm getting bored.

I know we've got some guitarists...how 'bout a drummer and bass player, or keys?

I'll give anything a go, apart from death metal. Anyone have a venue, or even an interest?

Any Melbourne based Hawkers wanting to get a jamming collective happening?

My only musical outlet these days is one day a month, down in the country (Yanakie, a 2 hour drive away). I'm getting bored.

I know we've got some guitarists...how 'bout a drummer and bass player, or keys?

I'll give anything a go, apart from death metal. Anyone have a venue, or even an interest?

I could be interested. Apart from high school, I've only ever really had my stereo for company, so the chance to have a jam with some fellow hawks would be good. Guitar's my thing, so doesn't solve bass/drums

Awaiting arrival of this bad boy at the moment. Ebay bargain, hoping that it's in as good a condition as has been stated(the pics looked fine).

EPI%20ENZW%20AIGH1.jpg

Bought a guitar rack from ebay last week.........instead an ice-cream maker arrived. Winning?

Awaiting arrival of this bad boy at the moment. Ebay bargain, hoping that it's in as good a condition as has been stated(the pics looked fine).

EPI%20ENZW%20AIGH1.jpg

ZAKK!!!!!!!

ZAKK!!!!!!!
Yep, and only a week or so ago I bought a set of miniature replicas(Zakk Wylie Les Paul's) that I'm going to have framed as well.

EPI%20ENZW%20AIGH1.jpg

Bought a guitar rack from ebay last week.........instead an ice-cream maker arrived. Winning?

Head just started nodding when I saw that axe. My wife thought I was hynotised. I think she understands. Kids saw ice cream maker, I don't think they understand.

Nice.

You know anyone who repairs marshalls Eldo?
Tube?

If it's tube, there's a place near me I'll swear by, called "Soundworks" in Ringwood. They've serviced mine for 10 years, top notch. It's a fair way for you, but could be worth it...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back