Dec 20, 2010
Great Southern
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NAFC, SDFC, MUFC.
Sorry I have no time for this today.
http://m.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-30479306

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-15/illridewithyou-hashtag-takes-off-following-siege/5969102

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-social-media-support-Muslim-community.html

Admirable and noble sentiments - no question about that.

But what about the dead victims and there families?

What about the poor buggers who have just lived a 16 hour nightmare?

Where is the hashtag for them?

Sadly it appears that there is no shortage of people out there whose first instinct to this tragedy is not to express concern for the dead or there families or concern for the potential of follow up attacks now one bloke has taken the leap, but rather to express support and 'solidarity' for the group from whom this outrage has emenated.

Not only that, there also appears a wilful desire amongst some to bury there heads in the sand that this could be anything but a 'lone kook'....#Hoddle St etc etc.

This obscenity was clearly the handiwork of a disturbed individual inspired by the medieval theology of ISIS and fundamentalist Islam, and it would be folly in the extreme to drop our guard in some attempt to be politically correct and prove our multicultural credentials - by god we prove that every single day I would of thought.

I realise there may be an element of being proactive and trying to get a lid on things before they blow up and I appreciate that, but bottom line the "Muslim community" isn't the victim this morning - it is not about them.

As I said, if there is support to be had, let it first be focused toward the families of the dead and the traumatised.

Anything else is an insult at this point.

Last edited:

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
Yesterday ~23 people were threatened by one muslim.

Racism threatens hundreds of thousands in Australia every day.

haden1999

Senior List
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Can this thread be closed or can the OP be completely overhauled and replaced with something decent.

How anyone could whinge over this hashtag is crazy. When i thought it impossible to be proud of mainstream Australia I'm surprised by this. It's brilliant that the main twitter/catch cry is something supportive like this rather than reactionary racism that the media and Abbott would just love to ride for the next ten years. A little bit of hope has been restored.

Honestly i'm blown away, such a great response.

RisingPhoenix

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2010
Great Southern
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NAFC, SDFC, MUFC.
Can this thread be closed or can the OP be completely overhauled and replaced with something decent.

How anyone could whinge over this hashtag is crazy. When i thought it impossible to be proud of mainstream Australia I'm surprised by this. It's brilliant that the main twitter/catch cry is something supportive like this rather than reactionary racism that the media and Abbott would just love to ride for the next ten years. A little bit of hope has been restored.

Honestly i'm blown away, such a great response.

The prime focus today should be on the victims of this tragedy.

Not the Muslim community.

I think that's a fair proposition.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003

That's where the prime focus is.

Right now front page of the SMH web site has only one minor story about this hashtag.

EVERY SINGLE other article is focussing on the siege. The main headline is the videos that were released. The second and third main article individual articles abouts the two deceased, their main side article about the girl who was posting on facebook.

The are 2,000 people currently reading the article on the hashtag. Meanwhile 22,000 are currently reading the article on Katrina Dawson, 16,000 reading the article on Tori Johnson.

There is an extremely high focus on the individuals involved in yesterdays events.

And what makes you think it isn't?

I've been watching the ABC coverage for a while and I don't recall the hashtag thing being mentioned.

There is plenty of focus on the victims though.

And the Muslim viewpoint needs to be considered in any case. That's what rounded, objective coverage is all about.

Really?

That's all I've been watching (24) and it's a # "I'll ride with you" fest.

Sick of it.
I've been watching ABC1. Barely any mention at all.

There's plenty of the coverage of this tragedy that I am sick of as well. That's why yesterday I turned it off mid afternoon.

And also why after turning on the tv this morning to the vomit inducing Sunrise coverage, I quickly turned it to the ABC.

Remember, you still have a choice in this, facilitated by your remote control.

RisingPhoenix

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2010
Great Southern
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
NAFC, SDFC, MUFC.
It's a good way to let the Islamic community know that not everyone is like the OP.

I don't have anything against the Muslim community as a whole.

It's this sense that we need to appease them and constantly have a hand out to them that I don't like.

We are the ones that got hit last night, not them.

I wonder what the hashtag would be if you exchanged Lindt cafe for lakemba mosque?

#Lions of Lebanon rise up perhaps?

I don't have anything against the Muslim community as a whole.

It's this sense that we need to appease them and constantly have a hand out to them that I don't like.

We are the ones that got hit last night, not them.

I wonder what the hashtag would be if you exchanged Lindt cafe for lakemba mosque?

#Lions of Lebanon rise up perhaps?
The bolded explains much, and an us and them attitude isn't going to help anybody. You're just another extremist and every bit as much of the problem as the Islamic ones.

DeGoedStuff

Debutant
Nov 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's bad that Muslims may feel victimised. That is sad and it reflects poorly on us.

But it annoys me that the Muslim community and it's leaders have been so vocal in the media denouncing it and implying it isn't their fault.

What about paying respect to the dead and their families? What about stating how Australia lost it's innocence last night?

Mar 27, 2011
Melboooooooon
AFL Club
West Coast
For someone who complains about being labelled a racist, you sure start a lot of borderline (and not so borderline) racist discussions. It's not an us vs them situation and if you take offense to there being a lack of... trending hashtags of all things... why don't you start one yourself and enact some positive change instead of twisting and complaining about an obvious message of peace.

It's bad that Muslims may feel victimised. That is sad and it reflects poorly on us.

But it annoys me that the Muslim community and it's leaders have been so vocal in the media denouncing it and implying it isn't their fault.

What about paying respect to the dead and their families? What about stating how Australia lost it's innocence last night?
Australia lost its innocence well before last night my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back