muzz released on parole-bodes well for him.

Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
If he has done all the right things whilst inside and continues to do so until the draft, what are the chances of an updgrade this year? He's the type of player we need right now. Can't see us getting rid of any of the other rookies yet so would give us a the flexibility in the rookie draft.

Sorry, not trying to be a smart ass, but how does anyone know what kind of player he is?

His previous form doesn't help us at all (not counting the debut v Gold Coast. Goals in the second half of a 126-point win don't really show us anything), and the guy's been in jail for a season.

Nothing to suggest he demands or deserves an upgrade. I think the question surrounding him should be whether or not he gets delisted or not.

Sorry, not trying to be a smart ass, but how does anyone know what kind of player he is?

His previous form doesn't help us at all (not counting the debut v Gold Coast. Goals in the second half of a 126-point win don't really show us anything), and the guy's been in jail for a season.

Nothing to suggest he demands or deserves an upgrade. I think the question surrounding him should be whether or not he gets delisted or not.

The eagles hired a personal trainer for him whe he was in jail, I doubt we would have gone to that much effort and expense if we were going to delist him.

Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
The eagles hired a personal trainer for him whe he was in jail, I doubt we would have gone to that much effort and expense if we were going to delist him.

Warren Campbell also took him for footy training twice a week but WCE prevented Murray from playing for the Woorolloo team .

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
How about c) All of the Above?

You do know that he has played WAFL and junior football so the role he plays isn't exactly a mystery, he's not really a KPD.

At WAFL and junior level I think he's played mainly as a mid (more inside than outside, has quick hands) and as a small forward (was played out of the goal square at SD iirc with his mate Dayle at one point). Think his WAFL PB is 4 goals. He can accumulate the ball and use it well. He's reasonably quick, but not Jetta fast. Kind of along the lines of Kerr (not saying he is of that standard just that sort of role).

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Is that the case? Thought they were listed as 181cm and 180cm respectively (with Gaff being taller).

Newman was drafted at 178cm and has grown out to 182cm. If he's put on 7kg he's on the low to mid 80's for weight. Which is ideal for his height.

SpaceClef

Big Willie
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life WCE Wings Guernsey
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
You do know that he has played WAFL and junior football so the role he plays isn't exactly a mystery, he's not really a KPD.

At WAFL and junior level I think he's played mainly as a mid (more inside than outside, has quick hands) and as a small forward (was played out of the goal square at SD iirc with his mate Dayle at one point). Think his WAFL PB is 4 goals. He can accumulate the ball and use it well. He's reasonably quick, but not Jetta fast. Kind of along the lines of Kerr (not saying he is of that standard just that sort of role).
In colts he kicked 6 goals, got 28 touches, 7 marks and 7 tackles. This is why he was drafted where he was.

Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots

yes, because I'm not a complete imbecile. Maybe half a one, depending on how much sleep I've had.

My point is that he's given us a small sample size of AFL games, and to be fair his WAFL career hasn't really set the world alight.

Add to the fact that he's just spent pretty much a year in jail.

I've seen him play for West Coast and for Swans and I couldn't begin to tell you where he's best suited for the team.

Let's get the kid on the park for East Perth next year and see where he fits, before we start proclaiming him as the cure to our ills. For starters, it's silly, and secondly, it's not fair on the guy.

The_Gambler

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2009
Omaha, in middle America
AFL Club
West Coast
Muzza was always going to end up bigger than Gaff. He's grown since being drafted and wound up being taller and has a wider frame across the shoulders and hips.

Redundant. He never put in the work in the limited time he had to have a decent tank, much rather he put in the work to add size now and stripped back later. These are good, not bad signs.

Limited time? What do you do all day between October and the start of the season when you're an AFL player. You've got all the time in the world

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Limited time? What do you do all day between October and the start of the season when you're an AFL player. You've got all the time in the world

Time in player development terms occurs not just in weeks or months, but in years.

Newman was 19 and in his first full preseason before he went off the rails in the 2013 preason, in the end he's lost two seasons of football. He's got a lot of catching up to do, and not just physically. That's his challenge now, if he does the hard work he has enough talent to translate into immediate on field rewards.

I don't see any pressure on Newman to play early in 2015. But at East Perth under the eyes of our own coaching staff, with a full preseason coming off a decent fitness regime in prison. He has the best opportunities possible to prove he wants an AFL career.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool

I'm sure he kicked six once.

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Not 100% sure if it is him as it does look a little bit like Tunbridge but i could be wrong as i think he was going to be training away from the club for a few months.

http://instagram.com/p/stiJaahq1k/

Great find. Well fuark, definitely a few kegs on him. Mind you those Y back singlets make any man look like Perth's biggest man.

Time in player development terms occurs not just in weeks or months, but in years.

Newman was 19 and in his first full preseason before he went off the rails in the 2013 preason, in the end he's lost two seasons of football. He's got a lot of catching up to do, and not just physically. That's his challenge now, if he does the hard work he has enough talent to translate into immediate on field rewards.

I don't see any pressure on Newman to play early in 2015. But at East Perth under the eyes of our own coaching staff, with a full preseason coming off a decent fitness regime in prison. He has the best opportunities possible to prove he wants an AFL career.

I think he was more referring to the person who said "he's exactly the type of player we need". And asked the question "how would you know?"

Which i agree he has a point. We've seen next to nothing of Muz. Some people are hailing him as the next Phil Matera in the forward pocket, and basing that opinion on literally nothing substantial. Others think he's the new Daniel Kerr and will light up the midfield.

Calls of "he's exactly what we're missing right now..." are ridiculous.

Last edited:

SpaceClef

Big Willie
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life WCE Wings Guernsey
May 14, 2011
Vegas
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I think he was more referring to the person who said "he's exactly the type of player we need". And asked the question "how would you know?"

Which i agree he has a point. We've seen next to nothing of Muz. Some people are hailing him as the next Phil Matera in the forward pocket, and basing that opinion on literally nothing substantial. Other think he's the new Daniel Kerr and will light up the midfield.

Calls of "he's exactly what we're missing right now..." are ridiculous.
But in saying that, I'm not sure the calls that he is what we are missing are necessarily saying he's going to be a jet, but having more talent in our midfield depth is exactly what we need. Whether or not he succeeds is one thing, but considering our midfield depth consisted solely of McGinnity this year, having Muzz back in the squad can only be a good thing.

But in saying that, I'm not sure the calls that he is what we are missing are necessarily saying he's going to be a jet, but having more talent in our midfield depth is exactly what we need. Whether or not he succeeds is one thing, but considering our midfield depth consisted solely of McGinnity this year, having Muzz back in the squad can only be a good thing.

IF he can play midfield, and IF he can have an impact. Something he's yet to do at AFL level.

It reminds me of when people had Sheed starting in our best 22 before this season started, and hailed him like he's going to fix everything.

Back