Judd. Buckley. Pe. Matera
McLeod. Jackovic. Goddard
Fletcher. Scarlett. Archer

P.Salmon. R.Harvey. Ablett Jnr

Ablett Snr. Cox. Cousins. Silvagni

Saints: Lockett, Milne, Goddard, R Harvey

Sure i missed someone, so tell me!
Goodes?

Different players I know, but give me any of: Chris Johnson, Justin Leppich, Sam Fisher, James Clement, Josh Gibson, etc, etc.. over Archer.

Archer was a god in the 90s...
IMO Archer was thoroughly overrated. Got away with a lot of sniping due to his 'tough' reputation, had average disposal, was shorter than ideal and wasn't quick.

black46vo5.jpg

Who are you going to drop?

[R Harvey's off limits :)

It would be very tight mate, looking at your midfielders. Pretty much anyone other than Jnr or Harvey (If we're looking at longevity as well).

Big fan of Cousins and Buckley, but I'd take Black over both. Bees d!ck sorta stuff, though.

Judd at his peak was the best I've seen. Commentators blowing their lid over every average possession and shank kick he gets these days (still a warrior).

Meanwhile, Black's rounded game and epic release handballs were holding true to his last days. Just the smartest clearance player I've seen.

Top 3 Inside 50s, tackles, handballs, clearances and contested possessions of all time.

4th uncontested possessions of all time.

10th in goal assists.

8th in disposals.

Last edited:
To clear a space in the midfield for someone else like Black I'd probably put Gazza Jnr in the forward pocket instead of Milne, as I'd expect Gaz to kick 50 goals a year no worries if played forward and he would still rack up the stats and be able to push into the midfield. Imagine a FF line of Ablett Lockett Ablett Jnr! :eek:

That said, Daicos has to be in there as well as he kicked 97 goals in 1990, 75 in 1991 and 52 in his last full season, 1992.

For a bit of fun, Fruity Boots, I've made a team up of the last 15 years (with no players you've listed).

FF: B.Johnson-Lloyd-Chapman
HF: Franklin-Riewoldt-R.O'Keefe

C: Akermanis-S.Mitchell-J.Corey

HB: Bartel-S.Fisher-J.Clement
FB: C.Johnson-M.Hudghton-J.Gibson

R: Sandilands, Hayes, Black

Int: M.Voss, N.Lappin, A.Goodes, Fevola

I reckon you've got the more decorated players, but I'd strongly back my boys to get the job done :)

I'm certainly in the "Archer was overrated" category. I saw North a heap in the 90's as they made the prelim stage 7 years in a row, won two flags and were regularly on Friday night footy, but I hardly ever saw Arch play a good game that stood out. I'd be concerned if I wasn't able to find 6 others to fit into this backline ahead of him, especially as he isn't tall enough to take the 3 taller roles and would then be competing with the likes of Enright, Fisher, McKenna, McLeod, Hodge and even Buckley for the other roles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny how history goes down.

Would you take Dustin Fletcher and Glen Archer (two AFL legends) over Sam Fisher & Josh Gibson (two players who came on a bit later in their 20s).

The first two will have statues in their honour (if they haven't already).

But we all know what Sam Fisher was like at his best. Gibson's spell over the first 5 or so games last year was just glorious (think he got injured)... you just don't get much better. Archer would have never been able to play like that in his wildest dreams.

Talking with a Bombers fan who thought Fisher was just a solid player in a good team during his peak, after asking about Saints defenders in response to him going bananas over Fletcher. Didn't go down too well.

My All-Star 'God's Children' since 1990 side...

FB: Josh GIBSON - Ashley McINTOSH - Beau WATERS
HB: Nick MALCESKI - Ben GRAHAM - Luke HODGE
CR: Peter RICCARDI - Scott PENDLEBURY - Simon BLACK
HF: Ryan O'KEEFE - Lance FRANKLIN - Adam SCHNEIDER
FF: Cyril RIOLI - Matthew LLOYD - Peter EVERITT
RK: Simon MADDEN - Brett KIRK - Luke POWER
IC: Scott WEST - Paul COUCH - Cameron LING - Nick DAL SANTO

EM: Fraser GEHRIG - Tony LIBERATORE - Alan DIDAK - Mark BAYES

There are very few I would take over Fisher if it wasn't for a key position and I'm not sure Fletcher would be one of them, as good as he's been.

Haven't really sat down and thought about it too much but a backline of

B: Silvagni Scarlett McLeod
HB: Fisher Jakovich Enright/McKenna/Hodge/Buckley

would be pretty useful. Imagine how many AA's Fisher would have if he'd been able to play HBF all his career like Enright has! He'd have taken about a million intercept marks.

There are very few I would take over Fisher if it wasn't for a key position and I'm not sure Fletcher would be one of them, as good as he's been.

Haven't really sat down and thought about it too much but a backline of

B: Silvagni Scarlett McLeod
HB: Fisher Jakovich Enright/McKenna/Hodge/Buckley

would be pretty useful. Imagine how many AA's Fisher would have if he'd been able to play HBF all his career like Enright has! He'd have taken about a million intercept marks.

Yeah I think its sucks he hasn't been able to play HBF more but at least it shows versatility playing many a game at CHB

Probably too many to fit into one side over that period

Full Backs
Silvagni
, Scarlett, Fletcher
Back Pocket (tall)
Fletcher
, Scarlett, Fisher, Roos
Back Pocket (small)
Johnson, Wanganeen, Enright, Akermanis
CHB
Jakovich
, Leppitch, Taylor, Fisher, Roos
HB
McKenna, Hodge, Archer, Buckley
HB
McLeod, N. Lappin,
Ruck
Cox
, Stynes, Salmon, Sandilands
Inside Midfield * 3 (+ 1 bench)
Voss
, Harvey, Judd, Ablett, Black, West, Watson, Pendlebury, Hayes, Williams, Cousins, Hocking, Crawford, Kelly, Mitchell, Liberatore
Outside Mids *2 (+ 1 bench)
Buckley
, Swan, Bradley, Koutofidies, Winmar, Mainwaring
CHF
Carey
, Riewoldt, Tredrea, Brown, Grant, Pavlich
HF
Hird
, S. Johnson, D.Jarman
HF
Riccutio
, B. Johnson, Chapman, Akermanis, Voss
FF
Lockett
, Ablett, Lloyd, Franklin
FP (tall)
Ablett
, Richardson, Lloyd, Riewoldt, Frankln
FP (small)
B.Harvey, Milne, B.Johnson, Akermanis, Farmer
Int*1 (utility) + inside/outside mid and ruck
Goodes, Pavlich, Goddard, Koutafidies.

Some good player missing out, some others forgotten

Fisher has payed the majority of his career at CHB?

Voss, Gilbert, Goddard, Clarke, Dempster.... Have been HBs in his time

Only Goose for a short period played CHB whilst fisher played third tall
Since playing at CHB Fisher has won two b&fs and has been AA at CHB

Gotta totally disagree on some peeps not rating Archer.
Saw him play many great games and
I thought he was a gun.
Just as courageous as Hayes.
Two premierships. A norm smith. 3 all Australian selections.
And kicked nearly 150 goals playing just about all career down back.
I rate Fish very highly but id probably draft Arch over him .
Just my opinion though.

Last edited:
Jason Holmes anyone? :D

Gotta totally disagree on some peeps not rating Archer.
Saw him play many great games and
I thought he was a gun.
Just as courageous as Hayes.
Two premierships. A norm smith. 3 all Australian selections.
And kicked nearly 150 goals playing just about all career down back.
I rate Fish very highly but id probably draft Arch over him .
Just my opinion though.
I think a lot of people remember Archer later in his career when he had become a bit senile & was into roughing up & throwing his weight around against 1st year players.... That IMO becomes a big black mark against his so-called 'courage'. It's easy to beat up or shirt-front a kid.... Dont remember him doing that too many times to senior players later in his career.

I do love the time he feigned a punch at Wayne Carey, after the Duck had gone to Adelaide, & the Duck flinched like a 10 year old girl...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back