My new Eagles blog

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
So this may die in the ass in six weeks time, or it may end up consuming way more of my time than ever imagined, but I've gone and started an Eagles blog.

It won't try to be definitive, and I'll never claim that anything I say is 100% accurate or that my opinions are anywhere approaching correct.

But I'll try and have fun and tell a few stories.

My reasoning is that I grew up with the West Coast Eagles, have been going to their games since 1987, have a sponge for a brain and can remember things from pretty much every single game I've been to, and I like to write.

So anyway - my first entry is over at http://nestingeagle.wordpress.com.

Enjoy (or hate), share, comment with whatever praise or insults you can muster. It's all in good fun (I hope).

BTW - if anyone has a high-res version of the Mainy image at the top of the blog, it'd be much obliged if it found its way to me. All I can find are shitty lo-res ones and the pixelation is cramping my style.

So this may die in the ass in six weeks time, or it may end up consuming way more of my time than ever imagined,

Hopefully it's the latter :D Enjoyed the first entry, great work

Gave you a plug on Twitter:

For those interested - here's what I'm planning:

• Ranking the Eagles seasons and then posting about them in no order whatsoever (i.e first entry might be about our 11th best season)
  • I might countdown the 50 best Eagles players ever
  • Will talk about our coaches - why they ruled or why they sucked (or both)
  • Round by round previews (continuing on from what I started here, and never finished)
  • Other musings about games that may have been memorable to only me (i.e the 1st time we played Adelaide at Subi in 1991, but I'll save the reasons why for later).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those interested - here's what I'm planning:

• Ranking the Eagles seasons and then posting about them in no order whatsoever (i.e first entry might be about our 11th best season)
  • I might countdown the 50 best Eagles players ever
  • Will talk about our coaches - why they ruled or why they sucked (or both)
  • Round by round previews (continuing on from what I started here, and never finished)
  • Other musings about games that may have been memorable to only me (i.e the 1st time we played Adelaide at Subi in 1991, but I'll save the reasons why for later).
Good luck! We've been luck to have some exceptional players play for us, I couldn't list a top 10. Great read btw!

Great idea to pass summer and a very interesting read. Good luck when your ranking our reigning Brownlow medalist in your top 50 list!

Outstanding read

At that age your father is some sort of demigod - all powerful and bulletproof. The reality is that when you get to your fathers age and have kids of your own, nothing is further from the truth

And that 1991 game against Fitzroy remains the worst Eagles game I've watched live - the first time I remember watching a side (Fitzroy) not even attempt to win but rather try to minimise the damage from the opening bounce. Roos was central to that strategy and picked up a mountain of possessions in the back half playing on nobody yet somehow got 3 brownlow votes in a game his side lost by 99 points

Great read again, glad your old man came through it all.

Like you I was at that game and my only recollection is that we doubled the Crows' score.

I had a look at the score from AFL Tables last night - and was shocked that it was only Peter Matera's ninth game of footy.

Damn he was great. Plays 5 games of footy in 1990, and then in his first full year polls 18 Brownlow votes and kicks 30+ goals from the wing.

Can you imagine the collective fapping of everyone if that happened today?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back