My new Eagles blog

Remove this Banner Ad

Outstanding read

At that age your father is some sort of demigod - all powerful and bulletproof. The reality is that when you get to your fathers age and have kids of your own, nothing is further from the truth

And that 1991 game against Fitzroy remains the worst Eagles game I've watched live - the first time I remember watching a side (Fitzroy) not even attempt to win but rather try to minimise the damage from the opening bounce. Roos was central to that strategy and picked up a mountain of possessions in the back half playing on nobody yet somehow got 3 brownlow votes in a game his side lost by 99 points

That Roys game was just terrible. I remember going in thinking we'd win by 160+. And we should have... can remember Malthouse fuming after the game.. But yeah, Roos went nuts with 42 touches and from memory Alistair Lynch was pretty decent at Full Back too. Come to think of it, I think the ABC gave those two as the two best on ground that day.

I had a look at the score from AFL Tables last night - and was shocked that it was only Peter Matera's ninth game of footy.

Damn he was great. Plays 5 games of footy in 1990, and then in his first full year polls 18 Brownlow votes and kicks 30+ goals from the wing.

Can you imagine the collective fapping of everyone if that happened today?
We've been so starved of this kind of individual brilliance

since the day Dalziell was delisted

I had a look at the score from AFL Tables last night - and was shocked that it was only Peter Matera's ninth game of footy.

Damn he was great. Plays 5 games of footy in 1990, and then in his first full year polls 18 Brownlow votes and kicks 30+ goals from the wing.

Can you imagine the collective fapping of everyone if that happened today?

Unheard of right? It just goes to show how great we were back then that Matera didn't really get much media until about halfway through '92 (Then the obvious avalanche after the GF).

His first 50-70 games for West Coast were serious champagne football, the only bloke to come close to matching him for his first 50 would be Judd I'd say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good read UpForGrabs and a powerful story RE: your father. Glad he was able to recover from his heart attack and is making the most of his second chance at life.

Find it funny that most are so down on that year.. 2001 we hadn't been near it for a while. The Carlton thrashing was bad all I can remeber is KB going on about our horrible jumpers saying that is the reason why we are so bad at the moment becasue succesful teams don't wear that kind of thing or some such. In years just previous we had made finals and mostly been on the end of thrashings '98 & '99 etc. Didn't make finals in 2000, and were still relying mainly on 30 year old match winners to do the job.

Described that train wreck of a season perfectly :thumbsu:
So very true. Sadly the coach at the time is still so bitter and continues to hold an enormous grudge, yet in today's game you would "expect" to be sacked when you look at his record and as importantly, the losing margins. Fortunately we moved on by having not only one of our own, but an individual who was a wonderful ambassador for the "coasters" and a person who displayed true professionalism during and after his tenure.

So very true. Sadly the coach at the time is still so bitter and continues to hold an enormous grudge, yet in today's game you would "expect" to be sacked when you look at his record and as importantly, the losing margins. Fortunately we moved on by having not only one of our own, but an individual who was a wonderful ambassador for the "coasters" and a person who displayed true professionalism during and after his tenure.
I hate Ken Judge so much.

2008. The year of inevitably. It was the year we paid the price for our ignorance

If 2006 was the peak then 2008 was the trough we spent 2007 fighting to avoid. And we fought so so hard in 2007, then nothing. Everybody had given until there was nothing left to give, there was no more left

It started as the worst kept secret in WA football become public knowledge when Ben Cousins was stood down before 2007 amid rumors of drug addiction and a flight to LA for rehab. Despite denials from the faithful the cat was out of the bag, we had drug issues and they weren't confined to our ex captain. In the words of Robert Walls we were evil.

In round 1 of 2007 evil overcame the odds to beat the angelic swans on their home patch due in part to a desperate lunging tackle from one Daniel Kerr. Like that tackle we were hanging by our fingertips but didn't yet know it. On the back of one of the most remarkable starts to a season by Judd we defied the odds and the controversy to put together a stellar start to the season. As the whirlwind of innuendo and truth swirled the players fought. And won.

Cousins made a spectacular return but at the same time Judd was fading fast then late in the season the 3rd musketeer, Kerr, fell foul of the injury gods as well. Our holy triumvirate barely played together throughout 2007 yet at 3/4 time of the final H&A game against essendon we were locked in 2nd place ready for a 1st week home final. Enter scott Lucas and his seven ******* last quarter goals that didn't quite cost us the game but were enough to drop us to 3rd on percentage behind port adelaide

Kerr was out, Judd was on one leg but we were in control over port in the QF, that is until cousins hammy went ping and we watched footage of a solitary figure wearing no9 leaning against the change room wall as the teams fortunes subsided on the field. We lost and I have never been as upset after a game as I was that night. Or as inconsolable

Without all of our star midfield trio we somehow pushed collingwood to overtime the following week before our 2007 finally gasped it's last breath. Legend has it that Worsfold gave the most fearful of sprays to our wayward stars in the bowels of subiaco after the game. But it was far from over

Judd walked out as the club imploded

Then the darkest day in our clubs history dawned. Chris Mainwairing was dead of a suspected and later confirmed drug overdose. In the space of little more than 12 months I had gone from the greatest moment of my football supporting life to the worst

By the time Ben Cousins was arrested in a north bridge street it all seemed rather pointless. I was numb to it. A feeling that lasted into 2008, the most soulless year of our existence. A year when our chairman publicly proclaimed that winning games of football wasn't the first priority

I have two images etched into my subconscious from 2008. Brent staker lying unconscious at the feet of Barry Hall with nary a whimper in response from his teammates and bomber Thompson eating a sandwich in the coaches box as his team systematically dismantled us on subiaco oval

No one gave a s**t anymore. There was nothing left after 2007 but a shadow of what once there was

Remove this Banner Ad

Back