PC2011/12RP My Player Seasons

Remove this Banner Ad

Instead of doing the usual whole team management game, I am going to do a new story where I will do it from the perspective of a single player. The player will be playing for Richmond (of course), and will be their first round draft pick.

MY PLAYER CAREER:
Name: Tanner Alderson​
Date of Birth: 12/06/1994​
Height: 196 cm.​
Weight: 95 kg.​
Position: Tall Forward​
Drafted From: Central Districts​
Home State: South Australia​
Overall: 74​
Peak: 98​

This "My Player" story will follow Richmond Tigers Tall Forward, Tanner Alderson, through his career. Alderson, a 196 cm Key Forward from South Australia, was drafted to the Tigers with Pick Number 2 in the 2011 National Draft, after the Tigers traded aggressively for the pick.

Strengths:

Alderson is a big bodied Key Forward. At 96 kilograms at 17 years old, he is able to dominate marking contests. He is a fantastic mark, in both the contest, and on the lead, but is stronger on the lead than in the contest. His strength is elite overhead, as well as his strength in his body and core. Tanner prides himself on his aggression and courage. He isn't afraid to put his head over the ball, or back into a pack to take a mark, and isn't afraid to rough the defenders up. Tanner also has fantastic leadership qualities, and is earmarked as a possible future captain of the Richmond Football Club.

Weaknesses:

Despite his strengths, Tanner has quite a lot to work on, despite his potential. As an AFL Forward, his kicking for goal, from a set shot, or on the run, is something he needs to work on as he lets himself down often with poor kicking. He is not a very athletic player, even by Key Forward standards. This is mainly due to a lack of endurance, and in turn, this affects his agility and acceleration.

Metro%20Solar.jpg

Richmond's future gun Key Forward, Tanner Alderson, has spoken for the first time, ahead of the 2012 season, since his drafting to the Tigers in the National Draft at Pick 2. Tanner spoke to Matthew Richardson on Roar Vision about his draft experience, junior football and his expectations for this year, and his career.

First of all, Tanner, congratulations on becoming a Top Two Draft Pick in the National Draft. Did you have any inclination you were going to go so high?

Thank you very much. No, I didn't have any idea I was going to go so high, and it is a bit of a shock, 3 months later. I had been contacted by all clubs during the interview stage of Draft Camp and I thought I held myself really well in the interviews, and presented myself to the best of my abilities. I must have been okay, because I got a few expressions of interest, and one of those was from Francis Jackson, who called me a few days before the draft and told me that if I was there at their pick in the First Round, he would be selecting me. From there, I knew I would be a first round selection, and that was a dream come true, but I was a little uncertain at what selection I would be taken, considering the Tigers had a few selections in the first round.

And Francis took you with his very first pick, Pick 2 overall. Tell me, what were you doing at the time of the draft and your reaction when your number and name were called out?

Yeah, he did. Given I knew I was going to be a first round selection, my parents decided to throw a bit of a Celebration Party for me, with friends, family and former teammates and my junior football coach. We were all waiting anxiously in front of the television watching the draft. I'd obviously played against Jose (Cantrell) during the National Championships and was really happy for him when he was taken by the Demons at Pick 1. Then it was Francis' turn. I'd already memorised my player registration number, and when Francis called out the first few numbers, my heart started racing, and I crossed the numbers off in my head as he read them out, and couldn't believe it when he said the final number of my registration number, let alone my name.

And what was the reaction of everyone there when your name was called out?

It's funny, because they were probably happier for me than I was. I was still dumbfounded at getting drafted so highly, so it took me a while to really process the fact I'd been drafted by Richmond. Everyone else around me was getting wild though. My mother had started crying tears of joy, and my down kept clapping and smiling at me. all my friends and teammates were yelling and slapping me on the back until I finally snapped out of it. Let's just say that I was surprised the houses in the street behind ours didn't hear them.

I hear a few people from the Club rang you straight after and congratulated you.

Yeah, they did Richo. Damien (Hardwick) was the first to ring and congratulate me. He basically said he was happy to have me at the club, and thinks I will become a fantastic player for the club down the track. Captain Trent Cotchin was the next to ring, and really welcomed me to the club. He said the current list is a really close knit one, and he said I would be welcomed with open arms, and that even though I have just been drafted, that I am already part of the Tiger family. They were really good about it all.

Was it your dream to become an AFL player?

At the start of my junior career, no it wasn't. I wanted to become a commercial airline pilot. My mother put me into Little League for our local side when I was about 6 or 7 because I had far too much energy, and she thought it would tire me out so I wouldn't be as hyperactive. It wasn't until I got to about under 12's when I started winning a few club awards, including Leading Goalkicker and Best and Fairest that I had my coach tell me I was going to be a very special player, and that he thought I could become an AFL player if I had the right attitude. He helped me become more professional, both in terms of my training and games, but also off the field, balancing life and football, my diet and recovery and explained to me that to make it as an AFL footballer, I was going to have to make some tough decisions and sacrifices along the way. He has been my biggest influence in my football, and I can honestly say if he wasn't there for me, I probably wouldn't be sitting here today talking to you, Richo.

What was your first day at the club like?

I flew over to the club a couple of days after the draft, and met up with the other draftees. (Henry Candlin (Pick 15), Garrett Church (Pick 33), Colin Roberts (Pick 25), Thomas Tedman (Pick 13), Connor Nash (Pick 23) and Callum Bartlett (PSD)) We were taken on a tour of the facilities, and introduced to the playing group and coaches, before being put through our paces in a training session just to show us the level of training and intensity required at AFL level.

You've now been at the Club 3 months. How have you found it?

The club is absolutely fantastic! I love it. It is a club that has a lot of history and an absolutely fantastic supporters group. I can't wait to get to play in front of the famous "Tiger Army" at the MCG. The boys have really made me feel right at home, and part of the group. They are a great bunch of guys and have some really strong talent on their list. I admit I struggled in the first few weeks, having to move away from home, but I have since moved in with a couple of the more established boys, who are showing me tips on how to get my body right and dietary advice. the club have also given me some lifestyle advice including how to prepare meals for myself, to driving lessons and the like. They have been really welcoming and have made me, and the other boys feel right at home.

And what are your expectations for this year?

I don't think I will get a game, unless there are injuries or suspensions to a couple of the boys. I know that I still have things to work on, mainly my fitness and my goalkicking, and I am happy to pencil in this year as a development year. Dimma has said this year is going to be a development year for me, learning to adjust to the demands of AFL football and to learn the game plan at the Tigers. Our forward line is going going to be hard to crack. Jack and Tyrone had fantastic seasons last year and it is going to take an injury or suspension to them to give me a sniff at debuting and even then, Liam McBean and Todd Elton are going to be ahead of me in the pecking order unless I pull some pretty sizeable goal hauls in the VFL. I am happy just to sit there and work on the things I need to, and want to earn a game, rather than be gifted one due to another players misfortune.

Thanks for your time, Tanner. All the best for the rest of 2012.

Thanks Richo.

2012 NAB CUP:

ROUND 1 V St. Kilda:

Tanner Alderson:

Possessions: 5
Marks: 2 (Both Contested)
Goals: 2
Behinds: 0

ROUND 2 V Collingwood:

Possessions: 11
Marks: 5 (4 contested)
Behinds: 1

VFL Round 1:

Possessions: 12
Marks: 10
Goals: 0

VFL Round 2:

Marks: 11

VFL Round 3:

Possessions: 19
Marks: 5
Goals: 6

VFL Round 4:

Possessions: 12
Marks: 6
Goals: 3

VFL Round 5:

Marks: 11
Goals: 6

TANNER ANDERSON TO DEBUT FOR RICHMOND:

After a string of impressive VFL Form, Pick 2 in the 2011 National Draft, Tanner Alderson has been picked to debut for the Richmond Football Club this weekend. Alderson has kicked 23 goals so far in 6 games at VFL level, including 21 in his last 4 games to warrant a senior selection.

Alderson will lineup for Richmond at Full Forward in the squad to tackle Hawthorn at the MCG. Coach Damien Hardwick has said Alderson's debut is a credit to his determination and a reward for effort and form.

Richmond V Hawthorn:
Richmond: 15.8.98
Def. By
Hawthorn: 23.5.143
Tanner Alderson Statistics:
Possessions: 14​
Marks: 6 (5 Contested)
Goals: 1​
Behinds: 1​

Brisbane V Richmond:
Tanner Alderson selected at FF.​
Brisbane: 11.12.78
Def. By
Richmond: 14.12.96
Possessions: 22​
Marks: 6 (4 contested)
Goals: 2​
Behinds: 3​

Brisbane V Richmond:

Tanner Alderson selected at FF.​

Richmond: 13.8.86

Def. By

Geelong: 20.8.128

Possessions: 10​
Marks: 3 (2 contested)
Behinds: 0​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Western Bulldogs V Richmond:
Tanner Alderson moved to CHF​
Western Bulldogs: 17.11.113
Def
Richmond: 10.8.68
Possessions: 13​
Marks: 3 (3 Contested)

Richmond V St. Kilda:
Tanner Alderson moved back to Full Forward​
Richmond: 18.3.111
Def
St. Kilda: 16.14.110
Possessions: 20​
Marks: 5 (4 Contested)
Goals: 3​

Sydney V Richmond:
Tanner Alderson selected at Full Forward.​
Sydney: 15.12.102
Def. By
Richmond: 16.8.104​
Possessions: 2​
Marks: 1​

Richmond V North Melbourne:
Tanner Alderson selected at Full Forward​
Richmond: 19.5.119
Def
North Melbourne: 12.13.85
Possessions: 6​
Marks: 4 (3 Contested)

Richmond V West Coast:
Tanner Alderson selected at FF​
Richmond: 12.10.82
Def By
West Coast: 16.11.107
Possessions: 20​
Marks: 6 (6 Contested)
Goals: 4​

Loving the story so far mate. Keep it up. May have to do one of my own albeit not as a forward. Good work mate.

That's just how mine worked out. I waited until the draft and made a story with my first pick. I'm sure you could do it with anyone. A Rookie draft pick might work well, too.

Melbourne V Richmond:
Melbourne: 20.6.126
Def By
Richmond: 21.3.129
Possessions: 17​
Marks: 4 (3 contested)

Adelaide V Richmond: