Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
on TFs they just suggested scrapping round 22. But then theyd just play games, resting etc in round 21

My solution to this and the inbuilt inequity in the home and away is to play the first week of the finals over two weeks. Each team in each final players one of the legs at home, euro soccer style.

Freo and north are gambling on being able to blitz their week one finals opponent with fresh to get over the line.
Not quite so sure a strategy it they then have to back up with a second game. Higher ranksed team gets to choose whether to play home or away the first game

or let this be an incentive to win as many games as possible during the regular season so that way you're the team resting players in the final round, not the team getting screwed because you need someone else to lose.

It seems like you just need two wins or a win and percentage on the next team on the ladder, and your potential opponent does not have that luxury. Then in the week before the last round a stampede to get your submisson in to the AFL before your opponent does.

Suppose sydney couldn drop below 4th, and after seeing freo put in the tank request, counter with one of their own

dunstall is right, if these teams win their final, there will be a rush to do it next year and theyll have to backpedal at a million miles an hour

AND. Hawks should have had the friday night, lost it because our game would be uncompetitive

Mind you theres a point. I dont think hawks could put together a team which wouldnt be a good chance to beat carlton, such is their bad luck with injuries

Clubs should have more pride and put their best team on the field the week before finals.

You haven't seen Brisbane rest players the week before finals in the last five years. And you won't see us do it in the next five years either. It is not something the Lions do...play finals that is.

(I made myself sad. :( )

or let this be an incentive to win as many games as possible during the regular season so that way you're the team resting players in the final round, not the team getting screwed because you need someone else to lose.

Adelaide are possibly getting screwed by North even though they're ahead of them on the ladder.

The only 'incentive' for them in this case is to move to Victoria so they can more easily manipulate the draw to stay at home during the finals like North are doing.

If North lose their first final it will be Scotts head on the line.
If Fremantle dont win the flag it is Lyons head.

Yep....They have invested alot here & shown their hands early....Both have much credibility to lose as a result.

The Freo tank is bad sportsmanship, but the North tank really stinks.

So much for the usual AFL spiel about 'A bad look' for the game....Gillon & the AFL commission, are lost souls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never saw Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn go nuts resting 10 players.. hasn't stopped them from winning multiple flags in recent years. Freo I can sort of understand resting some players. But North..

Adelaide are possibly getting screwed by North even though they're ahead of them on the ladder.

The only 'incentive' for them in this case is to move to Victoria so they can more easily manipulate the draw to stay at home during the finals like North are doing.
I'm just imagining the scenario with Collingwood instead of Adelaide, and facing traveling to Perth week 1. There's no way this gets allowed to happen. Adelaide don't matter enough, finals in Melbourne are important.

It's not a big deal ..the higher you finish the more rights you have to rest players ......for mine that's rewarding freo

As for North ..that's fine also as there is no reward for going higher so that's ok too

it's an unfortunate circumstance adelaide find themselves in. but north melbuornes first priority is to itself and it's supporters. why would they risk an injury for a key player if they have nothing to gain by winning. they don't owe adelaide anything.

I hated all this at first but watching the carnage of fantasy footy GF's being absolutely ruined has made it bearable :thumbsu:

If Adelaide was closer to the teams above them on the ladder it wouldn't be a concern

Where you finish is up to you ...Adelaide can't whinge about North looking after itself .....

Yes the PHIL Walsh thing was very sad and very club poured it's emotion into supporting the crows but it doesn't extend to doing them a favour on the leader

I still think both tea,s should have been given four points for the game that wasn't played and we probably wouldn't be having this debate ....Both teams could have won the game and should have been given 4 points

It seems like you just need two wins or a win and percentage on the next team on the ladder, and your potential opponent does not have that luxury. Then in the week before the last round a stampede to get your submisson in to the AFL before your opponent does.

Suppose sydney couldn drop below 4th, and after seeing freo put in the tank request, counter with one of their own

dunstall is right, if these teams win their final, there will be a rush to do it next year and theyll have to backpedal at a million miles an hour

AND. Hawks should have had the friday night, lost it because our game would be uncompetitive

Mind you theres a point. I dont think hawks could put together a team which wouldnt be a good chance to beat carlton, such is their bad luck with injuries

it's not every year any team gets this luxury. but if they do it then good luck to them they deserve it. this situation with north is fairly unique where finishing lower on the ladder gives them a better chance. i don't expect too many teams in the future will be wanting to move down the ladder in round 23.

I hated all this at first but watching the carnage of fantasy footy GF's being absolutely ruined has made it bearable :thumbsu:

My thoughts on fantasy footy

Fantasy footy ...oh please ...get a life people ...like a real one

I don't do it and that's fine but seriously the real game and fatigue of players is far more important than some fantasy game played online

Remove this Banner Ad

Back