Toast My St Kilda, our magnificent club, only positive comments here please :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't find St Kilda - St Kilda finds you!

I've always been of the belief that you don't choose to support St Kilda, St Kilda chooses you.

It might sound corny but I feel like I was destined to become a St Kilda supporter rather than just choosing to.

The 'More Than a Football Club' membership slogan sums it up, there's something unique about St Kilda that draws you in and only other Saints supporters can understand. The supporters of other clubs (the unchosen ones) just don't get it.

I'm with Tex Perkins- anyone can follow Essendon, Collingwood or carlton but that's like following Manchester United. It's for the white bread lame folks. Sorry all you MU supporters but you suck. The battler clubs are cool. They are the leather clad boyfriend your folks wouldn't approve of. They are the hoon car that gets disapproving looks. They are the outsiders that don't want to be inside with the squares...or maybe i'm over thinking it.

I'm with Tex Perkins- anyone can follow Essendon, Collingwood or carlton but that's like following Manchester United. It's for the white bread lame folks. Sorry all you MU supporters but you suck. The battler clubs are cool. They are the leather clad boyfriend your folks wouldn't approve of. They are the hoon car that gets disapproving looks. They are the outsiders that don't want to be inside with the squares...or maybe i'm over thinking it.
Dont be dissing United to me, I support them because I liked David Beckham and Ruud Van Nistlerooy when i was young and United had red white and black flags so that sealed it to me.

some great things happened over the last couple of days:
1) media dept has done extremely well. uploaded various clips and interviews straight after the game
2) special members only footage with richo straight after the game!!!!
3) roos leadership has gone up another level
4) the players all acknowledging the crowd!!! absolutely amazing this point

great work saints!!!!

1) media dept has done extremely well. uploaded various clips and interviews straight after the game
2) special members only footage with richo straight after the game!!!!
3) roos leadership has gone up another level
4) the players all acknowledging the crowd!!! absolutely amazing this point

great work saints!!!!
All this, plus i've noticed the players getting around the club more on social media. Most tweeted the membership ad encouraging people to sign up and a few go saints tweets after our win last night.

It's the little things :thumbsu:

I wanted to mention this.

I have been critical of our media work before, but credit where credit is due. The post-match coverage has been very good and I hope it continues all season (and I hope they get access to the players to the same degree even after disappointing losses).

Also, Dunstan. He's a positive. Love the way he goes about it. Will love seeing Lenny hand over the number 7 to him at the end of the year.

I don't post here very often, though I read this forum everyday. But this thread, and in particular that membership ad, have gotten me a little emotional. My father came to Australia from England in 1966, and lived with family who were located just behind Morrabin. He's always told me about the game that made him first fall in love with AFL. It was St Kilda vs Hawthorn in 1966, Darrel Baldock came on at half time (or something like that) and won the game for us. My father always says that seeing Baldock, seeing the way that he looked like nothing off the field and like a god on the field, made everything click for him. Football played an integral part in my fathers integration into Australian culture. He met friends for life under the windsock at Morrabin, and he became part of this country through this country's great game. Some of my first memories are of Morrabin (and later Waverly), and in particular of the godawful smell of the Morrabin toilets. I've been to 3 losing grand finals, a handful of losing Prelims, three winning Prelims (I'll never forget walking out of the MCG as a kid after the 1997 win, singing the song with thousands of other Saints fan, feeling like we owned the world) and hundred and hundreds of Home and Away wins and loses both frustrating and wonderful. I think that that ad touched on something that is both a part of AFL as a sport, and unique to being a Saints fan. It's that hope, in the face of past form and present expectations, that you hold on to, that keeps you coming back week after week, rain or shine or under the roof. Why St Kilda? Because I love them, and because they are a part of me now and forever.

I don't post here very often, though I read this forum everyday. But this thread, and in particular that membership ad, have gotten me a little emotional. My father came to Australia from England in 1966, and lived with family who were located just behind Morrabin. He's always told me about the game that made him first fall in love with AFL. It was St Kilda vs Hawthorn in 1966, Darrel Baldock came on at half time (or something like that) and won the game for us. My father always says that seeing Baldock, seeing the way that he looked like nothing off the field and like a god on the field, made everything click for him. Football played an integral part in my fathers integration into Australian culture. He met friends for life under the windsock at Morrabin, and he became part of this country through this country's great game. Some of my first memories are of Morrabin (and later Waverly), and in particular of the godawful smell of the Morrabin toilets. I've been to 3 losing grand finals, a handful of losing Prelims, three winning Prelims (I'll never forget walking out of the MCG as a kid after the 1997 win, singing the song with thousands of other Saints fan, feeling like we owned the world) and hundred and hundreds of Home and Away wins and loses both frustrating and wonderful. I think that that ad touched on something that is both a part of AFL as a sport, and unique to being a Saints fan. It's that hope, in the face of past form and present expectations, that you hold on to, that keeps you coming back week after week, rain or shine or under the roof. Why St Kilda? Because I love them, and because they are a part of me now and forever.

great post mate!!! seriously a great read

Its when adversity arises during this season that will determine whether the saints have improved their communications, media and positivity

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wanted to mention this.

I have been critical of our media work before, but credit where credit is due. The post-match coverage has been very good and I hope it continues all season (and I hope they get access to the players to the same degree even after disappointing losses).
Agreed, loving their work lately. The tweet about the AFL website having server issues, which inturn affected saints.com.au from being updated was a surprisingly proactive move. I mean I probably wouldn't have checked in while it was down, but it's little things like that that make a whole lot of difference. It just makes me think that they finally care about this aspect of fan engagement. Their efforts certainly haven't gone un-noticed. They're updating so much I've actually found myself checking into the Saints app as my first port of news when I've been away from the happenings for awhile. Keep it up Saints. :thumbsu:

Agreed, loving their work lately. The tweet about the AFL website having server issues, which inturn affected saints.com.au from being updated was a surprisingly proactive move. I mean I probably wouldn't have checked in while it was down, but it's little things like that that make a whole lot of difference. It just makes me think that they finally care about this aspect of fan engagement. Their efforts certainly haven't gone un-noticed. They're updating so much I've actually found myself checking into the Saints app as my first port of news when I've been away from the happenings for awhile. Keep it up Saints. :thumbsu:
What we need to keep doing is letting the club know. I know if I am liking whats on their website I I give them the thumbs up and comment on their media

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great move to get those leadership consultants in.

Big difference I am seeing this year is the buy in from the senior players.

Sounds like a great move to get those leadership consultants in.

Big difference I am seeing this year is the buy in from the senior players.

yes, i was trying to think why there is such a big difference between reiwoldt from last year to this, and this must be part of it.
the consultants, the proper plan, kan understanding of where the club is at, a coach that understands his players, older and younger.

yes, i was trying to think why there is such a big difference between reiwoldt from last year to this, and this must be part of it.
the consultants, the proper plan, kan understanding of where the club is at, a coach that understands his players, older and younger.

There are a few factors...

Firstly, the seniors are aware of their mortality and where their careers are at. I think this time around, there has been a move to embrace what is positive about their achievements, rather than dismiss it as not good enough etc.

Secondly, empowerment is a big mantra.

Thirdly, I think that a legacy is important... what you leave behind. For a dad, it's about ensuring your kids have a good education etc. For a footy player, it's about leaving the club better than you found it.

The key here appears to be acknowledgement of the seniors' contribution as well as the emphasis that they still have a team role to play.

You add to this the way parents were looked after last week, and you can see how much good work has been done.

I also would not under estimate how much of this has come from the club's meeting with Costa and Cook from Geelong. Because this is the same culture they have nurtured over the past 10 years.

The way the club has gone about everything so far this year has been great. The players look happy, the kids are thriving, the oldies are rejuvenated & once Finnis comes in, the admin will be settled.

Even though this is a rebuilding phase, a few surprise wins this year will be great for morale & get the place even more excited for the future

Look at the way Port Adelaide have turned around their fortunes.

An absolute basketcase in 2012 >>> enter new coach (Hinkley) & new pres (Kochie) >>> Made finals in 2013 >>> Just broke 48,000 members for 2014 this week (eclipsing their old members record of 42000-odd)

I'm very happy to have Alan Richardson as our coach given he has spent last year within this solid Port system. We appear to be on the same path & things definitely look bright :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back