Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
Firstly congratulations to Matt Priddis on winning the Brownlow, good player and a great bloke, not taking anything away from him. And it wouldn't matter anyway seeing as Priddis still would have won anyway but...........

I suspect Priddis only really polled 24 votes. If my theory is correct, the AFL left the West Coast v Gold Coast to last, in case Dangerfield and Boak polled 3 in the final game. Dangerfield and Boak didn't which left Fyfe on 25 and Priddis on 24. Now Priddis wasn't expected to poll in that game, wasn't named in the best on afl.com.au and had 11 kicks, 16 handballs, 3 marks and 7 tackles. A solid game but not really what most would consider eye-catching, especially in a game where Josh Kennedy kicked 8, LeCras kicked 4 and had 20 disposals, Lycett had an allround good game and Michael Rischitelli had better stats than Priddis in every department.

So anyway I reckon Gil McLachlan then and there changed the voting, and gave Priddis 2 votes despite him not really getting any to take Priddis to 26 votes and avoid the awkward situation with Fyfe being ineligible. Obviously if Dangerfield or Boak polled 3 votes in round 23 they wouldn't have been able to change it but seeing as Priddis was going to win anyway, I reckon they fixed the ending so that Fyfe didn't get the most votes.

As I said it made no influence on who won and who didn't but it made it a whole lot less awkward. This is all just my opinion, I have no inside information, but the more I think about it, the more I believe it. Priddis just wouldn't have gotten that 2 votes.

Your predicating your tin-foil hat conspiracy theory on the assumption that the umpires make the perfect judgment of the best players on the ground. But as we have consistently witnessed, not only last night but throughout previous years, that is a particularly misleading assumption to make.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
The problem I have with this theory, and others like the 'insert players name here' has 3 strikes and still playing - is the issue with conspiracies in general. What's the old saying, '3 people can keep a secret if 2 of them are dead'. All it would take is one umpire to come out and say 'Hang on, I didn't give Priddis votes in the last round' - and it's over.

Millions of dollars in lawsuits, criminal charges, new AFL CEO etc - for what ??? To prevent an ineligible player recording the highest number of votes. Been there, done that - move along...

Seriously... the mind boggles.

The world is crazy enough as it is that Priddis actually won a brownlow... but to think the AFL is actively changing votes is farcical.

Get the tin foil hats off people.

Every year they usually leave the winner/contenders to the last one announced. It made sense to do WC last in case Boak/Danger polled 3 and it added to the suspense. Had they read out Priddis first, the last 8 games would be rudimentary.

Actually if you think hard about it, if Priddis didn't get any votes they would have not made the West Coast game last to be read out, instead leave it to the Adelaide game to build suspense. So by this logic, he did in fact poll the 2 votes.

Jun 16, 2012
Ora Banda pub
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EDL
ROFLMAO-1_zpsec792a96.gif

Ashton Agar

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Actually if you think hard about it, if Priddis didn't get any votes they would have not made the West Coast game last to be read out, instead leave it to the Adelaide game to build suspense. So by this logic, he did in fact poll the 2 votes.
I don't think you understand. I'm saying that they had to read out Dangerfield and Boak's games first because if either player got 3 then they wouldn't be able to change the votes as it would cost Dangerfield/Boak a medal. But once they were read out and it was clear that Priddis was unassailable on his own, then they could change it because it would have no impact on the result.

THRILLHO

Most Cromulent Poster
Apr 17, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who cares really?

The Brownlow medal is a bit of fun, a nice diversion on a quiet Monday night and an opportunity, if you're so inclined, to have a bet on a winner. It's just one award in a sea of awards. If you don't like the Brownlow result than I bet you can find an award out there that has a winner that you agree with.

I mean, we spend all year castigating, mocking, and incredulously questioning the umpires' decision making and then turn around and place all this emphasis on an award that is predicated on aforementioned umpires' decision making. Lachie Hansen got three votes in a game where the GCS forwards killed us. That's worse than Priddis winning.

And I'm aware of the foolishness of spending this much time on a post in a thread that is a lock to be closed, so don't bother pointing that out.

Ashton Agar

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Who cares really?

The Brownlow medal is a bit of fun, a nice diversion on a quiet Monday night and an opportunity, if you're so inclined, to have a bet on a winner. It's just one award in a sea of awards. If you don't like the Brownlow result than I bet you can find an award out there that has a winner that you agree with.

I mean, we spend all year castigating, mocking, and incredulously questioning the umpires' decision making and then turn around and place all this emphasis on an award that is predicated on aforementioned umpires' decision making. Lachie Hansen got three votes in a game where the GCS forwards killed us. That's worse than Priddis winning.

And I'm aware of the foolishness of spending this much time on a post in a thread that is a lock to be closed, so don't bother pointing that out.
No I love the Brownlow and it's rich history. Just reckon Priddis didn't really poll those 2 votes. Had no impact on the result though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would be more embarrassing for the AFL?
To have an ineligible player poll the most votes, or for it to come out that Priddis was gifted 2 votes in the final round?

shockster132

Debutant
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Funny you should mention , cause in the last round I think it was the west coast game flashed on screen then got taken Down and they proceeded with another game but hey who knows

The GOAT

Club Legend
Aug 28, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seriously... the mind boggles.

The world is crazy enough as it is that Priddis actually won a brownlow... but to think the AFL is actively changing votes is farcical.

Get the tin foil hats off people.

Every year they usually leave the winner/contenders to the last one announced. It made sense to do WC last in case Boak/Danger polled 3 and it added to the suspense. Had they read out Priddis first, the last 8 games would be rudimentary.

This. If Danger had grabbed the 3 it would have been pretty awkward though, with not many expecting Priddis to poll in the last round.

clivenator26

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2009
Latex Condo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Crazy theory, that would mean you have 3 umpires who knew what they voted having to take it to the grave with them. Or these 3 umpires could somehow now blackmail Gillon if they knew he did this, which is rubbish.

Some players get lucky, some get unlucky, Priddis deserves a Brownlow, he has traditionally polled reasonably with 13 in a wooden spoon year evidence he can catch the eye even when his team isn't winning. Some people just don't enjoy celebrating others success, they wanna nitpick and take away from it.

Funny you should mention , cause in the last round I think it was the west coast game flashed on screen then got taken Down and they proceeded with another game but hey who knows

I think purely because McLachlan was smart enough to realise that Priddis had been awarded 2 votes and had overtaken Fyfe, so skipped over the WCE game and came back to it

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Its happened before that someone ineligble polled the most votes - I don't think it's that big of an issue.

(If Fyfe was only ineligible from his first suspension - then people would've complained, and rightly so, about the interpretation of that rule that cost him 2 weeks... but there was no denying his 2nd suspension. Once that happened it was clear that he shouldn't be eligible).

They did move West Coast games to the end of the rounds - just to add suspense... it wouldn't have matter whether or not Priddis was polling votes in those games.
To argue that Gil was changing the votes on the fly is ludicrous.

This. If Danger had grabbed the 3 it would have been pretty awkward though, with not many expecting Priddis to poll in the last round.

I thought he was a sneaky chance of getting 1 vote

Priddis will get the headlines because he actually won - but Dangerfields polling was well over the top compared to Priddis

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
No I love the Brownlow and it's rich history. Just reckon Priddis didn't really poll those 2 votes. Had no impact on the result though.

think about the Woewodin one, he had a worst game than Priddis in the last round and polled 2 votes to win it. Sometimes weird stuff happens. Though i was really glad he overtook Fyfe, and i think the room was also really glad.

Having said that i very much doubt fyfe would have whacked Lewis if he was outright favorite for the brownlow (which he would have been)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back