MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks, you replied twice. I must of really impressed you.
Must "have" big fella, "must of" isn't correct. And the drivel that you and the big Proff are spinning at the moment reaffirms my position that you, he and Butane literally have no idea what you're talking about, which is disappointing.

Dannnnnnmentioned ost: 37216282 said:
I believe Boyd mentioned it in one of the very early press conferences and I've also heard it elsewhere. I can't 100% confirm it but I definitely remember Boyd mentioning it.
His manager has mentioned it when questioned on the deal once or twice on his Sen Saturday morning show

Just forget all his previous efforts including some influential ones in finals.
Not his fault our club was a shambles at the time. I don't blame him, hardly a coward for standing up for his own beliefs and knowing he is going to cop it be it right or wrong.
I'm more ashamed we had a dud coach in charge for the last 3 years.
BTW Boyd was OS at trade time too and let his father/manager handle the deal as well. Is he a coward too?

I keep hearing this and I don't understand how he exempt from taking any of the blame. He was the captain, the leader of the playing group and he let it get to that stage, he should shoulder some of the blame as any man with balls in a leadership role would do. HE failed as a captain, a leader and a man to look up to for any other player at the club. The club being in "shambles" should reflect very poorly on the captain of the club.

I keep hearing this and I don't understand how he exempt from taking any of the blame. He was the captain, the leader of the playing group and he let it get to that stage, he should shoulder some of the blame as any man with balls in a leadership role would do. HE failed as a captain, a leader and a man to look up to for any other player at the club. The club being in "shambles" should reflect very poorly on the captain of the club.
Lying to Chris Grant should be enough of an indicator.
I'll take Granty's word over his, thanks.

They committed 24 to Steele. I think the day after we landed Tom Boyd, they traded Sam Frost to Melbourne and got 23 in return.

Cheers, couldn't work that one out. Enough of all our ifs buts or maybes let's just enjoy watching this kid blossom. Does anyone else feel like doing a snow white job and falling asleep for the next 5 years

Must "have" big fella, "must of" isn't correct. And the drivel that you and the big Proff are spinning at the moment reaffirms my position that you, he and Butane literally have no idea what you're talking about, which is disappointing.
Thanks for the grammar correction.

You must be reading to know, bothers you that much to reply.

Yes he failed and he is gone. We are better off without him now we have a Boyd, yet many here want to blame him forever.

So what if he lied, wasn't the first nor the last.
You defend his character then say "So what if he lied" to a club legend / board member?
Ok then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he failed and he is gone. We are better off without him now we have a Boyd, yet many here want to blame him forever.

So according to you, Griffen, who shat on our club and all who love it, must immediately be forgiven. McCartney on the other hand, can be vilified forever?

You defend his character then say "So what if he lied" to a club legend / board member?
Ok then.
I defend people calling him a coward because he wasn't contactable at the time just like Boyd was. It was obviously a hard call for him. I didn't like it but we won in the end with Boyd.
He is far from perfect but who is?
I recall you of all people defending Nathan Brown for leaving, what's the difference with him and Griffen?
He lied too.

Last edited:
So according to you, Griffen, who shat on our club and all who love it, must immediately be forgiven. McCartney on the other hand, can be vilified forever?
Who said forgiven?
Forgotten more like it, the sooner the better.
Which is the same with McCartney even though he shat on our club a lot more.

I recall you of all people defending Nathan Brown for leaving, what's the difference with him and Griffen?
Different circumstances. Completely.

a. I don't recall Brown lying to a club legend. He made media comments mid season, as many players do
b. He significantly increased his on-field output, and was presented a contract worth less than what he was on
c. He was not the captain of the club
d. He was not "uncontactable" during negotiations
e. He did not walk out mid-contract

I understand the angst with Brown, but what he did was far more in common with your standard player who wants to move on. Griffen's case was extremely different which is why it caused such a stir in the AFL world - a captain walking out on a club mid-contract.

Who said forgiven?
Forgotten more like it, the sooner the better.
Which is the same with McCartney even though he shat on our club a lot more.

Griffen pissed over all of us - the bloody Captain of the club lied to Gordon and Grant and continues to lie about what happened. Griffen held us to ransom and placed us in an impossible situation by declaring he would not under any circumstances play for us again. He is a disgrace and an untrustworthy and weak individual.

McCartney, on the other hand, failed as Coach but acted honorably, falling on his sword when it became obvious his position was untenable. McCartney may have been a s**t coach, but he didn't lie or disrespect the club and it's supporters. He is not the first Coach to fail, nor will he be the last.

a. I don't recall Brown lying to a club legend. He made media comments mid season, as many players do
b. He significantly increased his on-field output, and was presented a contract worth less than what he was on

I understand the angst with Brown, but what he did was far more in common with your standard player who wants to move on. Griffen's case was extremely different which is why it caused such a stir in the AFL world - a captain walking out on a club mid-contract.
I agree with all you've said except about it causing a stir. The media have pandered to Griffen far too much. I spit out my milk whenever our approach on Boyd mid contract is reeled off as a FA problem. It was a f$);ing reaction. We've been vilified from all this and it's nonsense

Incorrect.
He lied media and used a club legend name to back himself up something like ' I'll stay if Darcy stays'
He was wined and dined by other clubs even more than Griffen. Might not be lying but its not being totally honest.

Not sure how you can compare this part as the club at the time was financially struggling more than it is now.

Makes no difference, he was pushed into the role he obviously didn't want. Brown was a senior player atm(almost the best player at the time). We needed him then more than we need Griffen now.

Not Brown but the same as Boyd. Both used their agent

Again not Brown but like Boyd

I understand the angst with Brown, but what he did was far more in common with your standard player who wants to move on. Griffen's case was extremely different which is why it caused such a stir in the AFL world - a captain walking out on a club mid-contract.[/QUOTE]
I lost my angst for Brown soon after he left

Griffen pissed over all of us - the bloody Captain of the club lied to Gordon and Grant and continues to lie about what happened. Griffen held us to ransom and placed us in an impossible situation by declaring he would not under any circumstances play for us again. He is a disgrace and an untrustworthy and weak individual.

McCartney, on the other hand, failed as Coach but acted honorably, falling on his sword when it became obvious his position was untenable. McCartney may have been a s**t coach, but he didn't lie or disrespect the club and it's supporters. He is not the first Coach to fail, nor will he be the last.
So what if Macca acted honourably, his stuff ups will have a far longer negative impact than Griffen leaving. We gained a lot more losing Macca and getting Boyd for Griffen.
Boyd held GWS to ransom, is he a disgrace, untrustworthy and weak individual too?

So what if Macca acted honourably, his stuff ups will have a far longer negative impact than Griffen leaving. We gained a lot more losing Macca and getting Boyd for Griffen.
Boyd held GWS to ransom, is he a disgrace, untrustworthy and weak individual too?

Boyd didn't hold GWS to ransom - he didn't refuse to play with them - he didn't walk away from his contract - he didn't lie to them. Griffen did all of these things and more. Griffen's treachery far surpasses that of anyone I can think of (perhaps only Mal Michael would be in the same league?)

Boyd did to GWS what Lake did to us. Both Boyd and Lake effectively said "...trade me now or risk losing me when my current contract expires." That is very different from Griffen's disgraceful act. But you know all of that Ernie - the facts don't suit your prejudices, so you ignore the facts.

On one hand you've got Boyd already being overseas (and still able to be contacted) before he even knew that he was going to a different club.

On the other hand you have Griffin having his manager put out an article saying you want out, then bailing to the middle of no where and not being able to be contacted.

Don't ******* compare them, if you can't tell the difference between these two situations you're a ******* moron and not even worth having this discussion with.

Boyd didn't hold GWS to ransom - he didn't refuse to play with them - he didn't walk away from his contract - he didn't lie to them. Griffen did all of these things and more. Griffen's treachery far surpasses that of anyone I can think of (perhaps only Mal Michael would be in the same league?)

Boyd did to GWS what Lake did to us. Both Boyd and Lake effectively said "...trade me now or risk losing me when my current contract expires." That is very different from Griffen's disgraceful act. But you know all of that Ernie - the facts don't suit your prejudices, so you ignore the facts.
I don't know why you're bothering, Mutt. Erns is clearly as spineless as Griffen. Wasting your time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back