MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Remove this Banner Ad

He reminds me alot of a young Hawkins....big and strong but still very raw, and hasn't yet learned how to make the most of his body.

People always see the man-size unit and forget there's a kid's fragile confidence and inexperience underneath there......

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him go down the Hawkins path: a few years of confusion and frustration before it suddenly "clicks" for him. When it does, you guys will be laughing.....

No one does. He's been magnificent this year, we're just all venting from yesterday and the minimum impact he had means that he cops it for the next 24 hours.
I actually thought he was adjusting his game to the poor delivery. But he wasn't chasing the ball out once the dees had it.
Watching the game, I thought that the midfield didn't deserve a KPF or didn't value his presence. We were better off playing Cordy (defensive KPP if I ever saw one) who was chasing more as the ball came out, which is why I think the sub was made. Roughhead looked good in the ruck, so hoping that Boyd can be kept forward. Needs more endurance, to allow repeat leads and defensive pressure.
I believe we won the trade to get him. He just needs an athletic partner in crime.

Let's not forget the difference in the make up of Hogan and Boyd's bodies.Hogan has the body of an agile player.. similar to Jeremy Cameron so it easier for him to impact games at a young age. Boyd is heavier , similar to Hawkins, so I think their careers will have a similar trajectory.
I for one hope that the Hogan comparisons don't continue for their whole careers. So sick of it being brought up every week, it's already a tired and worn out debate after 8 rounds of football. No s**t Hogan is playing well now and is looking like a gun, it makes absolutely no difference to us or Boyd. Such an annoying fascination by the media, as well as Melbourne and other opposition fans eager to sink the boot in, they don't need to be constantly brought up on this board as well.

and Barrett goes whack on Boydy what a ******* campaigner. Cannot watch Lyon's smug face on access all areas gives me the irrates.

EDIT: They were actually giving it to Cordy - Quite Rightly too I might add.

Last edited:
I for one hope that the Hogan comparisons don't continue for their whole careers. So sick of it being brought up every week, it's already a tired and worn out debate after 8 rounds of football. No s**t Hogan is playing well now and is looking like a gun, it makes absolutely no difference to us or Boyd. Such an annoying fascination by the media, as well as Melbourne and other opposition fans eager to sink the boot in, they don't need to be constantly brought up on this board as well.
Amen. I couldn't give a s**t about Hogan or what he's doing.

But it will continue. Undoubtedly.

Yet there's no Toumpas and Macrae comparisons.. or Toumpas and Stringer.. Melbourne nail one kid and the whole media loses their mind.

Jeez the media is crud.

This guy is the least of our worries. Has soundly contributed to our wins and was good in 2 of our losses against top teams.

I understand the comparison and I think it's fair. Maybe not so much at this stage of their careers but AFL is a zero sum games when comes to players and salary caps. If one team is paying just under 1mil a year(starting next year) and getting less output than another player of similar ilk who is on less, than there is understandable debate there...

...But if anything it means Hogan will be on a million dollars within 2 years so people shouldn't be getting ahead of themselves.

His form this year has been good. Agree that i would like him to hit some packs harder but his doing well. Looked tired but half the game and a soft week on the track should have him good for the giants. It also doesn't help that Boyd constantly has a arm held which prevents him from jumping on occasions.

Should play as the bye is just 2 weeks away.

Yet there's no Toumpas and Macrae comparisons.. or Toumpas and Stringer.. Melbourne nail one kid and the whole media loses their mind.
They've been ******* abhorrent for a decade, of course the first reasonably good kid to have a breakout season there will be anointed the messiah.

It's telling that people want to knock Stringer, Boyd and Bontempelli down a peg, though. Fear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've been ******* abhorrent for a decade, of course the first reasonably good kid to have a breakout season there will be anointed the messiah.

It's telling that people want to knock Stringer, Boyd and Bontempelli down a peg, though. Fear.

Exactly. Whilst our past few seasons have been poor, we haven't been an incompetent, vfl level side ,year on year, which has enabled us to accumulate pick 1s or 2s. Thats where the KPP guns are now being drafted.

We had to pay a considerable price to land one. Whilst i still cringe at the amount (750k per season surely would have been enough), could you imagine our position with only redpath or cordy as forward options. Our threads would be the same lack of key forwrd discussions as they have been since Chris Grant moved to the backline (2 years of Barry excepted).

Melbourne isolated hogan one on one on several occasions some he won some lost

Melbourne also swarmed Boyd 2v1 and 3v1
Our coaches box owns this

I think you make a good point. Hogan benefitted from space and good delivery. Boyd had neither (which is a credit to the opposition). He had a bad game, but a large part of that was a result of being beaten all over the ground in effort, skill and tactics. Hardly one 19 year olds fault. For what it's worth, I think he's had a solid promising season to date and should play against GWS. We should consider resting him after that if needed.

Wont happen.. but geez it would be funny if we poached hogan. what would the media say then? haha
"Utterly reckless, hasn't proven anything, history of injury, bizarre set shot routine, will come back to haunt the Dogs, bye bye Bonts" and so forth.

Call me silly, but I wouldn't be surprised if Toyd was benched yesterday to conserve him for next week since he will likely be rucking a fair bit. Yes he played a shocker but wasn't helped by his team mates.
Agree with MD, he won't be rested
Mmmm. Would like to think so, but at 3/4 time (after kicking five straight) we were still in with a faint chance.

Just needs a break. Been double teamed all year and has played including pre season more games in a row than he had played in his entire career.
Out this week, back for Port then the bye. One game in three weeks will freshen him up

He really needs to play against GWS. He did next to nothing against the Dees, he should be fresh and wanting to rip heads off.

It just goes on and on and on .
Toumpas has his only decent game, and their waxing lyrical.
Tom looked cooked on Sunday and needs a spell, and this is just s**t journalism 101 .
The brain dead accredited afl media are that devoid of any intelligence it's frightening .
Make a comparison on a few seasons of work, but hey that sounds to much like a commonsense approach .
It's mind boggling how many report on the game now, and it's frightening some of the shortsighted bullshit they speak

He reminds me alot of a young Hawkins....big and strong but still very raw, and hasn't yet learned how to make the most of his body.

People always see the man-size unit and forget there's a kid's fragile confidence and inexperience underneath there......

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him go down the Hawkins path: a few years of confusion and frustration before it suddenly "clicks" for him. When it does, you guys will be laughing.....
There's a few things I've noticed with Boyd, he protects the fall of the ball well when he is in front of a marking contest, he's taken a few marks inside 50 like this already this year.

He also tries to mark the ball at its highest point he can reach, another good trait in a key forward.

He needs to deal with the double team better and read the ball better, that will come with time I guess. He kicks with a cocked knee also and had the yips against St Kilda because of it, once Stringer and Boyd sort their deficiencies out they'll be lethal together, something we saw signs of against Adelaide.

Kind of the opinion (don't destroy me) that for the next couple of seasons we should play Boyd 80/20 as a forward ruck similar to Tippett and what Hawkins did in his first couple of seasons. The reasoning for this include

- Giving him ruck time will help him build his fitness base, which won't improve greatly if he is confined to the forward 50.
- Allows Stringer to play as the deep tall more often (which is when we look at our most dangerous)
- IMO playing 2 ruckman sized forwards at the same time will impact our ability to keep the ball inside 50
- With Roughead playing as the main ruck it doesn't force us to go after another ruckman during trade period/particularly as we already would have solved a major dilemma.

Think we need to find at least a B grade CHF from somewhere to allow for this to happen, but its the path we should consider.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back