MVP Tommy Boyd - The Grand Final Enigma

Remove this Banner Ad

Kind of the opinion (don't destroy me) that for the next couple of seasons we should play Boyd 80/20 as a forward ruck similar to Tippett and what Hawkins did in his first couple of seasons. The reasoning for this include

- Giving him ruck time will help him build his fitness base, which won't improve greatly if he is confined to the forward 50.
- Allows Stringer to play as the deep tall more often (which is when we look at our most dangerous)
- IMO playing 2 ruckman sized forwards at the same time will impact our ability to keep the ball inside 50
- With Roughead playing as the main ruck it doesn't force us to go after another ruckman during trade period/particularly as we already would have solved a major dilemma.

Think we need to find at least a B grade CHF from somewhere to allow for this to happen, but its the path we should consider.
Stringer only looks dangerous when Boyd is in the 50. When he's off or rucking, we revert back to easy to play rubbish.

Stringer only looks dangerous when Boyd is in the 50. When he's off or rucking, we revert back to easy to play rubbish.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Tom Boyd spend any lengthy periods in the ruck, purely he should be a chop out option only. But he played as a full time ruck till 15 years old and Bev has already said he is a very good ruckman. We should use those assets to help the ruck situation we have (Roughead in my opinion should take over number 1 ruck duties as of this weekend), also we have looked so much better when we subbed a tall off and not had all of Roughead, Boyd, Cordy all on the ground at the same time. Roughead as the main permanent ruckman will work IMO.

When we subbed off boyd (should have been Cordy) and we move Roughead into the ruck we got back into the game. We shouldn't be planning to sub a tall off especially when injury can derail those plans.

I don't think Roughead + Boyd + 2nd ruck will work. Should be instead a tall who pushes hard up the ground and can assist keeping the ball inside forward 50 (like a Tom Lynch type).

Yep, thought we could have won the Freo game if we didn't keep pulling him out of the forward 50. Our forward line simply isn't dangerous without Boyd.

That's because Stringer plays forward like a mid, reads the packs and busts through traffic, Boyd creates those situations.

Every single time we sub a tall off we look instantly better, Redpath (Eagles), Cordy (Tigers), Boyd (should have been Cordy though - Melbourne), Cordy (Sydney). We cannot afford to plan to sub one off when injury will often prevent us from doing so (Hawthorn, St Kilda, Adelaide - we dropped off after Stringer was subbed instead of a ruckman sized tall). Boyd gives us more than Cordy in the ruck (undoubtedly as the 2nd option and he shouldn't spend much more than 15% of the game as a ruck) but I think thats the way it should go. Team mates should Identify that when stringer is the deep tall it should come in faster and flatter rather than just bombing it on his head like we can afford to do with Boyd).

What a luxury it would be if boyd is required to play some ruck mins (which will help his fitness), that we could throw Carlisle forward on occasion.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Tom Boyd spend any lengthy periods in the ruck, purely he should be a chop out option only. But he played as a full time ruck till 15 years old and Bev has already said he is a very good ruckman. We should use those assets to help the ruck situation we have (Roughead in my opinion should take over number 1 ruck duties as of this weekend), also we have looked so much better when we subbed a tall off and not had all of Roughead, Boyd, Cordy all on the ground at the same time. Roughead as the main permanent ruckman will work IMO.

When we subbed off boyd (should have been Cordy) and we move Roughead into the ruck we got back into the game. We shouldn't be planning to sub a tall off especially when injury can derail those plans.

I don't think Roughead + Boyd + 2nd ruck will work. Should be instead a tall who pushes hard up the ground and can assist keeping the ball inside forward 50 (like a Tom Lynch type).
Absolutely spot on. The rare times we manage to isolate Stringer one out deep and bring the ball in quickly he's unbeatable.

Surely we try Rough in the ruck this week? Bring back in Macrae, Grant and Webb, sides looking instantly better and after a terrible loss last week I think we'll get up against GWS.

Yeah because Hogan would totally entertain that idea :drunk:
It was a bullshit hypothetical to prove a point. Are you really that much of a killjoy that you had to come over to an opposition board in order to tell the locals what they already know?

Yeah because Hogan would totally entertain that idea :drunk:
Thanks for the heads up, Razzle Dazzle.

And by gum, have I got a juicy tidbit for you. That comment you desecrated our board to respond to? It was a cheeky dig at easily-swayed, attention-seeking, ill-informed media types who can't see the forest for the trees.

Nobody seriously thinks Hogan is coming to the Bulldogs. We're all well aware that his future lies in Fremantle.

Run along now, scamp.

Thanks for the heads up, Razzle Dazzle.

And by gum, have I got a juicy tidbit for you. That comment you desecrated our board to respond to? It was a cheeky dig at easily-swayed, attention-seeking, ill-informed media types who can't see the forest for the trees.

Nobody seriously thinks Hogan is coming to the Bulldogs. We're all well aware that his future lies in Fremantle.

Run along now, scamp.

Knowing the Dees, at the same moment Hogan signs on with Freo, Petracca will be booked in at the surgeon for his third reco.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who gets him this weekend with no Davis? Corr? Patfull?
Their main defenders this week are Corr, Haynes, Patfull and Buntine none
of those should worry Boyd. James Stewart is the same size as Fletcher
Roberts and Tom Downie is an emergency, but i don't think they will be
overly concerned with match ups. Maybe an afternoon shootout at
docklands on Saturday.

Gee I hope we don't turn Boyd into a Tippett, a one paced forward come ruckman, who doesn't lead and only offers contests for the long high ball, rather then using legitimate forward craft. This is exactly why I don't want Boyd in the ruck, he needs to stay forward so he can be explosive when the ball comes in. Personally I think we should be employing a forward mentor for Tom like a Jono Brown or Carey. We need someone to teach him how to use the amazing physical attributes he possesses before he gets into bad habits, don't think anyone currently in our coaching ranks are qualified.

Gee I hope we don't turn Boyd into a Tippett, a one paced forward come ruckman, who doesn't lead and only offers contests for the long high ball, rather then using legitimate forward craft. This is exactly why I don't want Boyd in the ruck, he needs to stay forward so he can be explosive when the ball comes in. Personally I think we should be employing a forward mentor for Tom like a Jono Brown or Carey. We need someone to teach him how to use the amazing physical attributes he possesses before he gets into bad habits, don't think anyone currently in our coaching ranks are qualified.
Why not Barry Hall? He already has a relationship with the club. Certainly don't want Carey around the club.

He was great today. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the way we go into the forward 50, he's getting no favours and that he can halve every contest is a massive credit to him.

If people can't see what he has done to this team they either don't follow footy or don't understand footy.
Watch every marking contest in the forward line who has first hands on the ball, it's only a matter of time that those arms get strong enough to hold every one of those marks. Then add Stringer, Crameri & Dickson laughing themselves silly at the feet of him! Worth every cent!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back