Unofficial Preview N.A.B. Challenge 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some team news has started to filter through but even so it is tough to determine who exactly will be running out in Navy Blue against West Coast.

We know that Rowe will be captaining the side and we have also already seen some confirmed ins and outs.

In
Cripps
Graham
Tuohy
Sheehan
Byrne
Boekhorst
Smith

Out
Judd
Thomas
Walker
Gibbs
Henderson
Jamison
Murphy
Ellard
Foster
Giles
Kreuzer
Whiley

With the above in mind, I've tried to guess the squad of 29 but even that is proving to be too difficult. I've managed to cut it down to 31 but can't get it any lower.

1. Menzel
2. Buckley
3. Cripps
4. Watson
5. Warnock
6. Boekhorst
7. Yarran
8. Jones
9. Docherty
10. Viojo-Rainbow
11. Rowe
12. Jaksch
13. Tutt
14. Smith
15. Armfield
16. Bell
17. Dick
18. Graham
19. Everitt
20. Curnow
21. Casboult
22. Tuohy
23. White
24. Carrazzo
25. Sheehan
26. Gowers
27. Johnson
28. Walsh
29. Wood
30. Fields
31. Byrne

So your only 3 exclusions are Simpson, Holman and Russell? I'd include Simmo, and put Warnock, Walsh & Johnson in the bin. We're already missing 8 key players and another 2 senior types, so there's no point trying to go even younger.

By my count that has us with the following breakdown:

6 'automatic' selections: Rowe, Menzel, Yarran, Docherty, Simpson, Curnow
12 quality senior types pressing for spots: Buckley, Sheehan, Tuohy, Cripps, Carrazzo, White, Watson, Casboult, Everitt, Graham, Jones, Bell
4 backups trying to impress: Tutt, Armfield, Wood, Dick
4 youngsters trying to impress: Smith, Viojo-Rainbow, Boekhorst, Byrne
3 youngsters being put through the paces: Gowers, Jaksch, Fields

Dropping Warnock in means we don't test out how some of the other taller types cope in a relief rucking role, which is important to assess unless we want an out-of-form Casboult being selected every week. Warnock is a known quantity and needs a rocket up his arse, not a soft pre-season start; Walsh and Johnson are at the bottom of the pile on form of the lists for midfield and half-forward respectively.

Only Simpson, Curnow, Carrazzo and Everitt are bonafide midfielders, so this is great opportunity to put Yarran, Tuohy, Graham, Cripps, Bell and others in key roles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Squad has been announced:

Blues name squad for NAB Challenge opener

Carlton's 29-man squad:

Number Player
2 Troy Menzel
6 Kade Simpson
7 Dylan Buckley
9 Patrick Cripps
10 Matthew Watson
12 Blaine Boekhorst
13 Chris Yarran
14 Liam Jones
15 Sam Docherty
16 Dillon Viojo-Rainbow
17 Sam Rowe
18 Kristian Jaksch
21 Ciaran Sheehan
22 Jason Tutt
25 Clem Smith
27 Dennis Armfield
28 Tom Bell
29 Billy Gowers
30 Blaine Johnson
31 Matthew Dick
32 Nicholas Graham
34 Bradley Walsh
35 Ed Curnow
36 Cameron Wood
37 Tom Fields
38 Ciaran Byrne
41 Levi Casboult
42 Zach Tuohy
43 Simon White

From my guess a few posts above - Warnock, Everitt, Carrazzo are out, but Simpson will make the trip over. Thought he might have missed out this week given he suffered a minor setback earlier in the preseason, but clearly he's recovered fully from that.

Squad to be trimmed further by 3 before the game, I believe.

I will enjoy watching the Pies get beat tonight and the " It's only practice matches " etc belted out by their fans if they get smashed......

On the contrary if they do win as the Hawks rarely give a stuff about games in Feb the ferals will be up and about everywhere claiming they are going places in 2015. :rolleyes:

Just checked the markets for our game as well tomorrow night and we are paying $6 H2H! WC are $1.10 favs...... They must be playing a close to full strength team with only a few outs to be those odds and i know we have a heap not playing but i really rate the kids we have and anything can happen.

Now I need another shower after hearing that collingwood song!! Where's the turps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back