Roast NAB AFL Rising Star committee's vendetta against Jake Stringer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that my anger has somewhat subsided, I read the puff piece on AFL.com, I think its fairly clear that AFL higherups predetermined that GWS needed this. 'It was a clear sign of big things to come from GWS and Patton, who becomes the Giants' 13th Rising Star nominee in less than three seasons.' They want the narrative to be GWS is the young exciting club with the most young talent, it would be embarrassing to them to that a club with only 3 top ten selections in the last 3 years would be getting press as the young side d'jour as opposed to a club that has had 13 and carte blanche to pick of whatever talent they wish in free agency.

Reckon you're underrating Bonts a bit (which is a hard thing to do on this board :eek:). Since coming into the side in round 10, his last 6 games have been excellent, and had 3 average-good games. Hasn't put in a poor performance yet. Before then, he had one games as sub where he did very little and his first game, which you can give him a bit of leeway for.

For consistency, I'd say he's easily number 1.

edit: anyway, on topic, pretty annoyed Stringer didn't get it. Pretty obviously had the better game. But what are you gonna do... When you're a bottom club it's nice to get these kinds of things, which is why i'm not so much in the "lol it's just rising star nomination" camp.
Hopefully he smashes it the next few weeks.
In the interests of transparency, who does decide the weekly winner?
(It would not surprise me if it was the AFL's PR department.)
Thats a very good question, who does award it, I think we would all like to know that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back