Preview NAB Challenge 2016 - Squad post #279

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost there now.

Thoughts:
1. Draftees: .................................Weitering and Cuningham possibly the first cabs off the rank from the recent draftees. More than two may be overkill.
2. Under 10 game players: ...........Byrne, Boekhorst and Smith have every chance to start given their solid pre-season.
3. Recruits:...................................Lamb, Phillips, Kerridge & Gorringe may get the green light.

Best guess for opening team..........which will next week be proven to be a terrible guess, is:

Simpson Jamison Weitering
Byrne Rowe Tuohy

Phillips Gibbs Curnow
Boekhorst Cripps Cuningham

Kerridge Casboult Everitt
Lamb Gorringe Smith

Docherty Whiley Graham White

I'd be very happy with this roll out, allowing Murphy, Kreuzer, Walker, Sheehan, Armfield just a little more time to get into the swing of things.

I like seeing Weitering and Byrne down back and am keen to see Sheehan at some stage
Phillips in the ruck is likely, would like to see Kreuzer out there as I thought he was ready??
I suspect we know what we will get with Walker, Murphy and Armfield so agree they could sit out.
Wrapped if Cuningham and Boekhurst can play on the outside, want to see multiple games for them this year.

Big question, does Gorringe deserve a spot at FF. Have struggled to find much said about him and very little footage of his highlights. Sat and watched the first half of the 2014 R20 Carlton v GCS game where he played as a ruck. He moved alright around the ground but he doesn't look like a competent ruckman. I have seen better preseason vision of Charlie and Harry as forwards, but I recognise he has mentioned he is being coached as a HF but anything to suggest he might offer some value?

Good question in regards to Gorringe but someone will have to front up at FF come round 1.

Jones? Gorringe? Kreuzer/Phillips? Or do we go a mid sized player. Too much to expect C. Curnow to be good to go..............but it would be fun.
I lean towards either one of the following two options:
1) Phillips at FF with Kreuzer resting their in the forward line

Lamb Phillips Smith/Wright

2) Casboult as FF and Gorringe as CHF but I haven't seen any vision of Gorringe to support this so suspect if this setup does eventuate, Charlie or Harry may get a crack at this position for a few games each or Walker & Everitt may play as dual mobile CHFs (gee this does demonstrate our need for Harry to develop or Tomlinson in 2017)

Kerridge Gorringe Everitt

I lean towards either one of the following two options:
1) Phillips at FF with Kreuzer resting their in the forward line

2) Casboult as FF and Gorringe as CHF but I haven't seen any vision of Gorringe to support this so suspect if this setup does eventuate, Charlie or Harry may get a crack at this position for a few games each or Walker & Everitt may play as dual mobile CHFs (gee this does demonstrate our need for Harry to develop or Tomlinson in 2017)

Kerridge Gorringe Everitt

Casboult and Gorringe as FF and CHF...the thought actually makes me shudder.

Lets be honest unless there was serious improvement from both of them, that would be the makings of a pretty poor forward line.

Lets be honest unless there was serious improvement from both of them, that would be the makings of a pretty poor forward line.

I think you'll see a marked improvement with whoever plays forward, particularly against the middle and lower sides.

Is that a flag winning combo? Probs not but the MM game plan into the ffoward line was JUST ****ed!

I think we need to play Casboult in the square or high on the half forward line. He is a good contested mark just let down a liitle by his delivery.

Not sure about Gorringe as i dont recall seeing any vision of him playing for GC but surely a bloke that size would be useful somewhere on the forward line.

Good question in regards to Gorringe but someone will have to front up at FF come round 1.

Jones? Gorringe? Kreuzer/Phillips? Or do we go a mid sized player. Too much to expect C. Curnow to be good to go..............but it would be fun.
If Walker is ready, I'd be playing him at FF on the basis that our game style is going to involve a lot more short kicks therefore bombs into the forward line will be the exception rather than the rule. This would make an athletic forward our best bet.

I tend to agree regarding Gorringe as I haven't seen any vision of him that indicates forward potential but surely if they have recruited him for that role (that's what he says he is being asked to play as) then this year you would think they would trial him there in at least the NAB cup prior to season proper. Especially when the future CHFs (Charlie & Harry) are all young and even if they are guns you wouldn't want them playing a full season in that role.

I think they will play Gorringe in that role at some point in the NAB Cup and probably find he is not much chop, and by year end we will have settled on the Casboult/Phillips combination or the more mobile Everitt/Casboult or sought to get games into Harry and Charlie

If Walker is ready, I'd be playing him at FF on the basis that our game style is going to involve a lot more short kicks therefore bombs into the forward line will be the exception rather than the rule. This would make an athletic forward our best bet.

All about fitness for 1AW. Probably our most dangerous over the FF line. If he is fit, then can see Sauce lining up at full forward/pocket.
HF: Kerridge - Casboult - Dre
FP 1AW - Sauce - ????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must say Whiley looks different
Slimmer but more defined
Fitter
Will it translate on field though?
He seemed pretty lost through most of the year on-field but most young mids would have crumbled as well in our injury riddled midfield last year. Hopefully with a better pre-season and another year around the club hes a lot more confident as i dont think he lacks ability just belief.

Opportunity for a bit of useful experience, I reckon.

FB: Jaksch Rowe Buckley
HB: Docherty Veetring Clem
C: Boekhorst Cuningham Byrne
HF: Kerridge C. Curnow Everitt
FF: Lamb McKay Gallucci
Foll: Phillips Cripps (C) Whiley

INT (select from): Wright, Graham, Gorringe, White, Tutt, Silvagni, Viojo-Rainbow, Jones, Foster, Dick.

Manage everyone else.

If they lose heavy, so what. First hit-out and only a handful of games between them. But if they compete well, then its a little confidence boost for all the players our improvement has to come from.

Some great battles to play out over the NAB series to establish the pecking order.

Graham V Whiley (maybe V White) - inside mid (I am hoping Gowers enters the mix later in season)

Phillips V Gorringe (can't see Kreuze, Levi, Sauce and Gorringe lining up together) Ruck/Forward

Boekhorst V Cuningham (can see Simmo, Daisy and to a lesser extent Tutt entering wing calculations)

Byrne V Buckley V Sheehan (thinking Casey is nom. rookie, but Gussy has claims) - DVR a long way off, as is Dick

Kerridge V Wright V Lamb V Smith V Army - forward/pinch hitting mid (have Daisy pencilled for 1 spot)

Weitering V White V Rowe V Plowman(when fit) V Jaksch (2 of, surely Rowe first cab off rank) - 2nd/3rd tall defender

Where does Charlie fit in? (KPF/Mid/High Half Forward/utility/wing even?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back