NAB Challenge 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently their players smashed the 3km trial overall with several PB's if I am not mistaken, so with the sub rule being abolished and less rotations, it sounds like their players will shine this year.
We hear this every year from Port. They are no better than other clubs it's just that other clubs are smart enough to keep their players pre-season stats under wraps.

Pre season is too long - you need six weeks pre season training not six months!

I'll be keeping an eye on the emerging lists for my supercoach Saints & Melbourne specifically.

Reckon we will have a few new clubs in the top four this year (well I hope as this was meant to happen due to equalisation but its only happening once per decade)

So I welcome the emergence of Giants, Richmond, Bulldogs & Port in the top four.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The team I am most interested to watch apart from Richmond this NAB cup is Melbourne. I really think they are building a quality list, and this year should be the time we really start to see their youngsters take that next step and shine. Sneaky chance for some finals action.

The other team is Port. I want to see whether their depth has improved and what they have learned from last year. I feel like they approached last year way too arrogantly as a club, but don't have that same feeling about them this year. Seems like they got working instead of letting the hype get to them this time around. Apparently their players smashed the 3km trial overall with several PB's if I am not mistaken, so with the sub rule being abolished and less rotations, it sounds like their players will shine this year.

St Kilda & Port for me. Although Saints hurt by loss of Carlisle as a KD, they still have a lot of talent around the ground and should push towards top 8. Port for the same reasons as you stated.

We hear this every year from Port. They are no better than other clubs it's just that other clubs are smart enough to keep their players pre-season stats under wraps.
I guess that they have evidence to make their statement worth something.

Port have proven that their fitness as a side can be fantastic (in 2014), so to hear that their players had several PB's throughout the 3km trial gets me excited to see what they can produce this year. That means that their fitness now is potentially better than 2014.

I know their use of speed and fitness has been worked out by opposition in 2015, but fitness could go quite far this year given that the sub rule is gone and rotations are less.

As a neutral, I think their best is exciting to watch, so maybe they can pick up where they left off in 2014

I guess that they have evidence to make their statement worth something.

Port have proven that their fitness as a side can be fantastic (in 2014), so to hear that their players had several PB's throughout the 3km trial gets me excited to see what they can produce this year. That means that their fitness now is potentially better than 2014.

I know their use of speed and fitness has been worked out by opposition in 2015, but fitness could go quite far this year given that the sub rule is gone and rotations are less.

As a neutral, I think their best is exciting to watch, so maybe they can pick up where they left off in 2014
I'm of the opposite opinion, i reckon these hard running, high pace teams are going to get burnt by the lesser rotations....they'll start the season like a house on fire and win some exciting games getting hyped up but IMO they're more likely to burn out alot quicker and limp into finals or miss altogether

I'm of the opposite opinion, i reckon these hard running, high pace teams are going to get burnt by the lesser rotations....they'll start the season like a house on fire and win some exciting games getting hyped up but IMO they're more likely to burn out alot quicker and limp into finals or miss altogether
I think they will at some stage have a down patch towards the back end of the season given that this high pace stuff is not very easy to maintain over 22 rounds.

If this is the style they will go by for 2016, then Ken Hinkley's coaching ability will be put to the test as it will play a big role in determining how far they'll go this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back