NAB Challenge 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know the plans but I have heard refurb cost won't be much if 30 year bonds are taken out on current super low interest rates. Makes sense against GWS, Suns, Lions, Swans and couple of others.
It would be great to have football at Princess Park again anyone that lives that side of Melbourne as I do would love the convenience of football out of the city. I thought that the afl had said it'd be more feasible to build a new stadium though. It is fairly run down although the surface is still great it'd require a fair bit to get the facilities up to today's standard.

I love sitting at Prinny laughing how s**t Carlton are whilst sinking some cans.

should be knockout, bottom 4 sides from 2015 play off in qualifiers to get the field back to 16 sides

Fri N
Ess v Carl - ES
Sat N
GC v Bris - MS

Agree with knockout, at least makes it mean something. I'd consider something like giving the Grand Finalists or Top 4 teams a free pass for a round to even the numbers to a genuine knockout - they are generally behind in the schedules anyway due to playing extra football in September.

I'd like:

1 - Knockout
2 - Season rules only, no supergoals, no other nonsense. Limited trials of genuine proposed changes I'm comfortable with however I'd mostly prefer that practice games (which is what these are) are based on the actual rules of the competition.
3 - Not against expanded benches and more flexibility to allow shared game time, not attached to it either though

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks the NAB challenge is exactly what it should be?

3 Practice matches, all televised, taken to regional parts of the country. (provided the grounds are up to standard)
I don't want it to mean anything.

If NAB want to put their branding on it for a bit of extra AFL revenue, I'm all for that too.

There's nothing like the temporary delusion from seeing a good bit of play from a draftee in a low-skilled NAB match. As a Tiger supporter in the dark years it was one of the things that kept the flame of hope flickering.
Case in point: JKH when he ran riot against your mob in the NAB a couple of years back. We were certain we had a budding young superstar on our hands.

It remains the high point of his career so far.

Surely I'm not the only one who thinks the NAB challenge is exactly what it should be?

3 Practice matches, all televised, taken to regional parts of the country. (provided the grounds are up to standard)

If NAB want to put their branding on it for a bit of extra AFL revenue, I'm all for that too.

Agree, it doesn't have to mean anything in the greater scheme of things, I do think it should be genuine practice though. No BS rules. Practice for the real thing - not a half practice / half exhibition sport.

Precisely this.

The fact that preseason matches were once played for a trophy was a joke. It should be all about getting the miles back into the legs of players and nothing more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they turned it into a competition that clubs took seriously, they'd need to add 2 or 3 practice matches before it...:cool:

I'm keen to see some of the new new fringe players.. Tom Bugg and Ben Kennedy.. keen to get Dean Kent back on the Park.. CP5.. Hogan kicking bags of 10.. interested to see if Lumumba meshes better (would like to see him get back to his best).. just gimme some footy!

Cannot wait to see CP5 get amongst it and I too am looking forward to seeing Kent go around again. An uninterrupted year for Salem could make a big difference and i reckon Harmes has a bit too!

Make it like olympic soccer, an U23 comp where you can play 7 overaged players each match.. its only the kids that anyone wants to see, and the kids who are fighting for a spot round 1 will be going hanger and tongs to impress where the older players just go through the motions.

Make it like olympic soccer, an U23 comp where you can play 7 overaged players each match.. its only the kids that anyone wants to see, and the kids who are fighting for a spot round 1 will be going hanger and tongs to impress where the older players just go through the motions.

I want this to be the Swans Round 1 NAB Challenge team

B: Nick Smith, Xavier Richards, Jeremy Laidler
HB: Zak Jones, Michael Talia, Dane Rampe
C: Dean Towers, Josh Kennedy, Harry Cunningham
HF: Tom Mitchell, Lance Franklin, Dan Hannebery
F: Gary Rohan, Sam Reid, James Rose
R: Callum Sinclair, Callum Mills, Issac Heeney
I/C: Brandan Jack, Jack Hiscox, Jake Lloyd, Daniel Robinson, Toby Nankervis, George Hewitt

Sort of combination of established players, new players and players that have played but not established themselves. I want to see how the young players gel with the more experienced players.

I want this to be the Swans Round 1 NAB Challenge team

B: Nick Smith, Xavier Richards, Jeremy Laidler
HB: Zak Jones, Michael Talia, Dane Rampe
C: Dean Towers, Josh Kennedy, Harry Cunningham
HF: Tom Mitchell, Lance Franklin, Dan Hannebery
F: Gary Rohan, Sam Reid, James Rose
R: Callum Sinclair, Callum Mills, Issac Heeney
I/C: Brandan Jack, Jack Hiscox, Jake Lloyd, Daniel Robinson, Toby Nankervis, George Hewitt

Sort of combination of established players, new players and players that have played but not established themselves. I want to see how the young players gel with the more experienced players.

That might be what you want but i can guarantee irs not what horse wants, he wants to shield his major assets until the real stuff begins and wont jeapordise the season. Sydney are probably the biggest instigators for making the pre season a complete joke and the reason it needs to be fixed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back